Installing Surge synth

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hey all!

I just found out an opensource synth that looks very interesting called Surge (https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/), but I'm having a little bit of trouble installing it. There's a debian package for Linux, but it seems to only install the LinuxVST version (.so) which is not supported by VeSTige. There are also window installers for 64 and 32 bit, which I believe install the DLL version that I could use. But I couldn't get neither of them running under Wine: it prompts "This program does not support the version of Windows your computer is running", I've tried changing the windows version with winecfg to Windows, XP, 8 and 7 with no luck.

Have any of you guys managed to get this synth working on Linux? I've read about a plugin called Carla that could load the LinuxVST file, but if I could get the DLL file it would save me the trouble of compiling Carla and getting it running.

Thanks!
Hello

If you want to use it on linux with lmms you have to use the carla bridge.

Install carla then open lmms.

In your bbe open a carla rack then in your carla session open the linux surge and voila!
Thank you!

I installed it from source and have it working now, going to play around with it for a while to figure it out (apparently you can load many VSTs in the same Carla rack, maybe to add effects or mix different synthesizers?) but I was able to open Surge already, it comes with some interesting presets!
Indeed it s a very nice synth, in linux sybth you also may try helm ;)
I'll check it out, from a quick look on its official website it looks good!

After spending some time with synths like Synth1 and ZynAddSubFX (the old GUI version) it's probably going to be fun to play around with some synths that are more visually friendly, being able to see what you're doing, like envelope graphs and so on :D

Right now my synth of choice is ZynAddSubFX though, it just seems so powerful and I didn't even get to explore it completely!