LMMS copyright summary

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello!

I'm new with LMMS, but I want to use it fot create a music background for my projects that I was always dreaming about, for example a podcast (somebody will read my text and I want a gentle music in background), or a song which I could show later to somebody who creates PC games etc.( and later even use it in that game).

It means, that I want to use my work created in LMMS for commercial use, for example share it on Spotify with that podcast etc. that maybe could give me some money in future.

I find some topics that tells about copyright, using LMMS for commercial use etc. but i am a bit confused...

Please confirm, if I'm right:

1. LMMS is free for commercial use, that means that everything I create in LMMS is my own work and I can do with it whatever I want, even sell it or share on Spotify, and I don't have to write under it that it was created in LMMS (but of course it will be nice to write it :D )

2. Also instrument plugins (triple oscilator etc.), samples (cello01.ogg etc.) and presets (mysterious bank in ZynAddSubFX etc.) that I can find in LMMS right after installation (on the left hand below menu) is totally free and I can use it with no restrictions in my songs, such as I write in point 1 above? I can use it for commercial uses, for example create a song with this instruments/samples/presets and share it on Spotify and make money for my song?

3. Projects that is in LMMS after installation (Surrender-Main.nmpz) is not as free as above, because if I want to use some of this projects I should contact the creator of each project?

I know, that if I find some presets or samples in internet, I must check the license - at this moment I'm searching through internet to find samples that is under Creative Commons 0 to be safe.

I don't want to violate someones rights, and have any legal troubles.

I will be grateful for any help and advice!
markam wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:58 am
Hello!
Hi, Welcome to the Forum markam !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
1. LMMS is free for commercial use, that means that everything I create in LMMS is my own work and I can do with it whatever I want, even sell it or share on Spotify, and I don't have to write under it that it was created in LMMS (but of course it will be nice to write it :D )
100% correct
2. Also instrument plugins (triple oscilator etc.), samples (cello01.ogg etc.) and presets (mysterious bank in ZynAddSubFX etc.) that I can find in LMMS right after installation (on the left hand below menu) is totally free and I can use it with no restrictions in my songs, such as I write in point 1 above? I can use it for commercial uses, for example create a song with this instruments/samples/presets and share it on Spotify and make money for my song?
100% correct
3. Projects that is in LMMS after installation (Surrender-Main.nmpz) is not as free as above, because if I want to use some of this projects I should contact the creator of each project?
100% correct
I know, that if I find some presets or samples in internet, I must check the license - at this moment I'm searching through internet to find samples that is under Creative Commons 0 to be safe.
Smart and recommend!

You actually only have copyright 'issues' if you reuse or redistribute parts OF LMMS. (code / samples / demos) That is not allowed!
Derivative work is completely YOURS
Thank You very much, Your answer dispelled many of my doubts! At the same time i am even more impressed with LMMS.
You actually only have copyright 'issues' if you reuse or redistribute parts OF LMMS. (code / samples / demos)
You mean that illegal is for example 'taking' a sample from LMMS, and then without any changes in it redistribute it further as my own sample? But what when I will take only one sample/preset (or even one sound with one 'note' from the preinstalled library in LMMS) and make in LMMS a 'song' with this one sample/preset/sound? Without changing anything, only using a few 'notes' or even one 'note' of this preset/sample, not even mixing it or adding any effect? Is it acceptable? Is it also a derivative work in legal meaning? I'm asking because in LMMS there is available some single sounds like for example metal sound of a bell, what if someone take this single sound and use it in a video game? It is of course a theoretical question, I only want to understand basic rules.

I also understood that when I take for example: two presets + one sample from LMMS 'preinstalled library' , then I will make a soundtrack using it, add effects to it etc. it will be with no doubts my own derivative work and I can sell it or share on Spotify, YouTube etc.
markam wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:19 pm
You mean that illegal is for example 'taking' a sample from LMMS, and then without any changes in it redistribute it further as my own sample?
Exactly. That is not derivative work
But what when I will take only one sample/preset (or even one sound with one 'note' from the preinstalled library in LMMS) and make in LMMS a 'song' with this one sample/preset/sound? Without changing anything, only using a few 'notes' or even one 'note' of this preset/sample, not even mixing it or adding any effect? Is it acceptable?
..No, because it is indeed just a copy of the original, so that is an attempt to 'outsmart' the rules, and that would not be ok accordingly to the GLP2 licence
Is it also a derivative work in legal meaning?
Legal is not globally identical. The GPL2 licence is common.
in LMMS there is available some single sounds like for example metal sound of a bell, what if someone take this single sound and use it in a video game?
Strictly not GPL2 usage, but the sample would be 'different', depending on what other possible sounds could take place in the game, but i am no lawyer :p
I also understood that when I take for example: two presets + one sample from LMMS 'preinstalled library' , then I will make a soundtrack using it, add effects to it etc. it will be with no doubts my own derivative work and I can sell it or share on Spotify, YouTube etc.
Yep then everything is fine.
Thank You for answer, I think now I understand most of the things that I had doubts until recently.

I have found also a few interesting free sample packs, VSTs etc. in the web, so now I think LMMS library + these finds will be enough for me at the beginning :)

I read the license info on pages where I found it - some of theme are under the Creative Commons 0 so in public domain, some of theme has no info about Creative Commons, but has in info on the page that it is free also for commercial use. I will paste the link here, maybe someone who will have same problem as me and finds this topic will find it useful :)

https://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-overture/
https://vis.versilstudios.com/vsco-community.html
https://vis.versilstudios.com/vcsl.html
https://philharmonia.co.uk/resources/sound-samples/

I focused on orchestral vst and samples - this suits me the most.

I think the above samples and vst are completely sufficient to start the adventure with creating simple orchestral music, and at the same time let you not worry about copyrights, even if that the song created on their basis the creator would like to share or even sell comercially.

You know what? For years I thought that to start creating such works you need a lot of money and decent equipment. And now it turns out that willingness and some time are enough, because the right things can be found on the internet and a lot of it is completely free and legal.
In Lmms all preset and library and effects are copyright free to use in my personal project by default in pre installed
No, the bundled samples are *NOT* clear copyright-wise, even their origin is shady. Practically nobody will care, but please know that the current collection is legally grey. This is only for the audio samples (.ogg). Presets are 100% free.
trancwolve wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:33 pm
origin is shady for the audio samples (.ogg).
True, but are fine for derivative work.
Re-distribution as a package is prohibited