Sforzando/sfz support for linux

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Anyone got Sforzando (or any SFZ player) working on linux?
I tried hard, but with no luck.

Sforzando releases only a windows's .exe installer, I installed it with Wine, and searched for the VST dll, but when I try to load that dll using Vestige, the plugin complains that it can't find the installation directory (and require re-installation).

All other SFZ VST are released with an installer too.

Alternatively, I've heard that "Carla" can load SFZ, but LMMS segfault whenever I drag 'n drop Carla instrument.

I'm running an up-to-date Fedora Linux, LMMS is compiled from source (from an up-to-date Github's master branch).

Any pointer?
cronvel wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:33 pm
Anyone got Sforzando (or any SFZ player) working on linux?
I tried hard, but with no luck.
Sforzando releases only a windows's .exe installer, I installed it with Wine, and searched for the VST dll, but when I try to load that dll using Vestige, the plugin complains that it can't find the installation directory (and require re-installation).
All other SFZ VST are released with an installer too.
Alternatively, I've heard that "Carla" can load SFZ, but LMMS segfault whenever I drag 'n drop Carla instrument.

I'm running an up-to-date Fedora Linux, LMMS is compiled from source (from an up-to-date Github's master branch).

Any pointer?
Linux is not my area, but i know that Linux-sampler also can use (some) sfz-libraries
I have not seen a fool-proved guide on using Sforzando, some has success, others not. It can also depend the actual library loaded(?). I hope someone with Linux chimes in.

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome cronvel !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Thanks for the reply musikbear!

How to integrate Linux Sampler into LMMS?

Sorry I'm new to the DAW universe, and there are still many things I don't understand ^^

I've already struggled so far to make VST work on my Fedora box. The LMMS version found in the Fedora repos (LMMS 1.1.x) failed to load most VST, so I tried Flatpak version (from Flathub), but it was even worse (Vestige was missing), so I built it from the sources.
Now it works pretty well for 95% of 32-bits VST... However no 64-bits VST works (it doesn't load), and Carla crash LMMS (segfault).

I don't know if there is something wrong with Wine, however I'm able to play 64-bits Windows game, so I'm a bit puzzled...

So I wonder if there are some Fedora users here, I would appreciate some advices ^^
OpenSUSE here. (at least close to Fedora)

https://lmms.io/download#linux

It's an appimage file. After download set right to executable, and start LMMS by clicking the file.

For vestige and allot of vst you probably need 32 bit wine.
Wine 64 might work, but it might also not. (source wine HQ, wine 64 seems to be in early development)

LMMS can't use native Linux plugins by it self, it needs Carla for this.

For Carla to show up in LMMS, Carla needs for now to be installed on you're system.

I had not luck with Carla from selfcontained binaries, it did work, but did not show up in LMMS.

I had some issues with both LMMS and Carla, so talked to the openSUSE package maintainer.
He fixed all. This might be you're easiest solution, talk to package maintainer, or compile Carla you're self.

One of the dependencies for Carla, mingw, you can ignore.
I asked the Carla developer about mingw, and this is what he said:
Hi there

The mingw stuff is optional, only there for the experimental windows plugin bridges.
It is quite okay to build without it.

Maybe for the gains we get out of it, it might not be worth it
You could also try Carla from openSUSE, and see if its works on Fedora.
I am not sure if there is an rpm file though of Carla ( for openSUSE )

You might wonder why I suggest this. There are official openSUSE pages that state, if you can find a package for openSUSE, but you can find it for fedora, you can try it.
I assume this works both ways.
https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... kage=carla

Leap is a stable release, tumbleweed is de rolling release.

There are rpm listed.
@Gps Thanks for the reply, I already had Carla installed system-wide.
OMG Carla seems to work now... I don't know what has triggered this, I installed a bunch of devel libs, recompiled LMMS, and now it doesn't segfault anymore (maybe it needed the package "Carla-vst"?). I updated the wiki to include all Carla-related packages (including "lv2-carla"), I don't know if they are all required, but it does the job for me.

Ok, now I need to figure out how Carla works and how to load SFZ... ;)
I have to correct myself on something.

LMMS can at least on Linux use certain Linux plugins. I think it was ladspa.

I remember downloading a reverb plugin, from the openSUSE repositories, and it showed up in LMMS.

I cant find the post about it any more though.

Congrats on getting it to work. :)
@Gps OK Carla and SFZ work... BUT... it doesn't support most of SFZ features, particularly "round robin".
Terminal output:

Code: Select all

unsupported opcode: seq_length
unsupported opcode: seq_position
This is something important for my project (I'm using natural instruments).

After searching the Carla issue tracker, it appears that Carla uses the SFZero lib which is outdated and unmaintained. So Carla can't solve my problem.

So I'm basically back to square 1... :(
Hurray! I managed to make Sforzando work in LMMS! Not sure what was wrong with Wine, but now it works like a charm!
Congrats :)