Using commercial FX plugins - Linux/Wine

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I've acquired a few commercial effect plugins, but because of this their installers use WINE for the install on the "Drive C" rather than in the VST folder that LMMS can access natively. Because of this, they aren't seen by LMMS and so can't be added using the "FX" tab in the "general settings" window for the track, but I can load them using VeSTige. I've figured out how to do this using the MIDI settings if the effect plugin goes in front of the synth whose function is to generate additional MIDI triggers such as a step sequencer or arpeggiator, but this obviously won't work for something like a compressor or verb. Is there a way to pipe the output from a synth plugin into an effect plugin running in another VeSTige container before it plays back in LMMS?
Hello

Did you try to copy their dll from the wine virtual drive to the lmms vst directory?

That is what i did in the past.
Sahaathyva wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:38 pm
Hello

Did you try to copy their dll from the wine virtual drive to the lmms vst directory?

I have as well, but some of them are more complicated than a single DLL and include preset folders, etc. that can't be moved without killing functionality.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:22 pm
Sahaathyva wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:38 pm
Hello

I have as well, but some of them are more complicated than a single DLL and include preset folders, etc. that can't be moved without killing functionality.
Ash.. :/ That is simply just not ok!
I positively HATE when programmers does not allow users to make their own descissions for where installed software should go
That S U C K S!
-Especially for pc with rather small'isk SSDs, that gets filled up, and there worn out too soon!
*end of rant*..

I dont know what you can do. If you really cant move the whole folder into you defined lmms-vst-plugin-directory, then they are pretty much impossible to get in, except.. But that would be a serious anuicement .. You 'could' define lmms-vst-plugin-directory as the folder with the commercial dlls, and then move everything else to that folder too, but that is just WRONG!
Then there is the virtual folder-option..
I dont like those, because it gets pretty messy fast, but you do have the option to make a virtual link between the 'commercial-dlls' and the current lmms-vst-plugin-directory, that will make the 'commercial-dlls' move from own folder, as seen by REG-DB, you kind of gives them a new address
Fiddly and messy if you have too much of that going on, but maybe in this case -only way
What was the OS?
Well I dif in the past with prests too... just tru to move the entire folder with the subfolders
It seems to me this is something Carla would be perfect for, patching the sound output from a synth into an effect, except that I can't get it to grab VST's from the WINE directory either...
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm
It seems to me this is something Carla would be perfect for, patching the sound output from a synth into an effect, except that I can't get it to grab VST's from the WINE directory either...
And me i go Image
Then i wonder if i should ask Carla out for a date.......
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:41 pm
I have on openSUSE Carla working for about 95%. ( thanks to the package maintainer)

I do have issues with loading windows vst, Carla refuses.

Its for me already progress because I can load more native Linux plug ins.

Last time I spoke with the package maintainer (Carla for openSUSE), he said it was on upstream issue. So the problem is with Carla.

I can use Vestige though to load windows VST and for now will just wait.
We can also automate VST in vestige, we can't do that in Carla yet.

I do know that the dev of Carla is also listed as an LMMS dev.

Don't know how long its gonna take, but I can only see good things coming from this.