Fermata (Note Holds)

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Can LMMS be made to play fermatas (note holds) such as notes in the "Star Spangled Banner" (National Anthem)? I was working on an original a capella song that has a note hold in it. I tried to slow the tempo as slow as needed, but even at the slowest tempo of 10 bpm was not slow enough to do a fermata without stretching a measure making it longer. I do believe that if the slowest tempo could be slowed to 1 bpm and even if we could put in any number - not just whole numbers - for a tempo then that will more than suffice for me to place a "fermata" on a note without stretching a measure. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I will not recommend zero bpm for a low limit because either the program will bum out with an error or a note will sound "forever" until a "program break" occurs. If the low limit would be set to 1 bpm, then if a quarter note is entered at that tempo, it will play for a full minute before playing the next note or rest. That may be part of the measure/tempo automated change issue with samples making the song length appears to be changing. It may not be an issue if all of the measures are whole measures and the tempo is constant without change.
JoeColeman wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 am
Can LMMS be made to play fermatas (note holds)
Fermata is 'only' a notation used in sheet-music, and is irrelevant in midi.

If we take a look at a fermata situation in midi, where oooo represent normal 1/4 notes, and | represent a beat divider, we could have something like

Code: Select all

oooo | oooo | oooo | oooo |
If we however wanted to do fermata on the 4. 1/4 note, we would simply prolong the 4. 1/4 to a 1/2 note in piano-roll:

Code: Select all

oooo | oooo | oooo | oooooooo |
So fermata is irrelevant in midi
Can I send you the project that I'm working on? The song is in the copyright process right now. If I can or should, tell me how to do that.The song has "ritardandos" (tempo slow-downs) and "a tempos" (the song goes back to the original tempo at those points in the song where I apply an "a tempo"). I used automation on the tempo to "seemingly stretch a note". I am only one note from completing the project to my liking. If LMMS can be made to slow down to 1 beat per minute at the slowest and if I can use non-whole numbers as well as whole numbers to automate the tempo of a song, then that will be enough to complete my project. I really would like to use a tempo of 7.78 bpm (about 7 and 7/9 bpm) for the note that I'm trying to fix with a sixteenth rest following it.The song has only samples and an automation track for tempo changes and a volume automation track and an amplification automation track.The Volume and Amplification Automation Track does not affect the note length in the song. So I need the tempo to be set below the "now" limit of 10 bpm to 7 and 7/9 bpm. That will fix the note for me. I think that I'm done with the question now.
JoeColeman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:35 am
Can I send you the project that I'm working on?
Sure use PM and send me a link
upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it.
To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights
The song has "ritardandos" (tempo slow-downs) and "a tempos" (the song goes back to the original tempo at those points in the song where I apply an "a tempo").
It would be best that you write these bar/beat-positions down in project-notes. Then i can better understand your creative intentions.
I used automation on the tempo to "seemingly stretch a note".
Yes, that works. I often does that in my videos, when i want to emphasize something special.
If LMMS can be made to slow down to 1 beat per minute at the slowest
It can't. The slowest BPM is 10.
and if I can use non-whole numbers as well as whole numbers to automate the tempo of a song
::
I really would like to use a tempo of 7.78 bpm
Again No. There are no decimals. The value is finite.
JoeColeman wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:35 am
Can I send you the project that I'm working on?
Ok i got your file, i will take a look and come back to you