Can I add an instrument in LMMS on Linux?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I’m new to LMMS and any kind of music production software. I’m running 1.2.1 on Ubuntu Studio 20.04.

Can I add an instrument to LMMS? (If I had an LV2?)
I think you can, just try it out.

Put the instrument in the folder were the other lv2 plug-ins are.
Where does lmms keep its lv2 plugins?

First I tried /home/alec/Documents/lmms/plugins/ - didn't appear in instruments

Then I tried /lib/lv2/ (but it was there already from its own installer) - didn't appear in instruments

I found some old posts and wiki entries but they don't seem to match LMMS 1.2.1 (but maybe I miss understand them?)

(I'm trying to add the most recent version of ZynAddSubFX Version 3.0.3-patch1; I don't see the old ZynAddSubFX in usr/lv2. In LMMS the GUI is still the old version and the copyright message is the old 2009...)
alecjames wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:52 am
I’m new to LMMS and any kind of music production software.
I’m running 1.2.1 on Ubuntu Studio 20.04.
Hi, Welcome to the Forum alecjames !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

Can I add an instrument to LMMS? (If I had an LV2?)
Do you mean as you compile and then build the AppImage yourself?
You would need to add an header (.h) to the folder include, and also rewrite cmake for the class Instruments
Honestly not the simplest things
Why dont you settle with VST-instruments?
LMMS support VST-instruments through WINE, read about this here:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... _.26_Linux
alecjames wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm
(I'm trying to add the most recent version of ZynAddSubFX Version 3.0.3-patch1;
That will be seriously hard!
Are you a very experienced coder? It would be marvellous if this could be achieved. It has been tried and it failed. There is a lot of information about the attempts to get zasfx3.0.3 integrated. I believe something close to 6 mnt was invested by curlyMorphic, but then it was abandoned, but if you are very experienced in cpp +qt it would be fantastic, if we again could get this integration looked at. Let me know if you like to get all the in and outs of getting into lmms-coding, then i will link you to all necessary info :)
I thought that LMMS 1.2.1 could load LV2 instruments, not sure where I got that from, looks like I'm wrong.

I just read LV2 plugins in LMMS with CARLA -
Summarising my understanding of that thread-
LMMS needs CARLA to host LV2
CARLA may or may not appear after install depending on your distro (its an old thread, maybe your LMMS version as well)
Native LMMS LV2 support is scheduled for LMSS v1.3. From git - This is a first minimal Lv2 plugin, supporting the whole core, except for CV ports (aj automation?) No features or extensions are supported yet.

I hoped that adding a new ZynAddSubFX would be easier. I'll return to learning about LMMS. Maybe look again when 1.3 is released.

I have some C++ Windows experience but no qt :(
As far as I understand it they are working on LV2 support.

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/commit/2a6 ... 91de67874e

If musicbear though says you cant use the new zynaddsubfx, we probably can't.

I also have no clue if this would mean we could automate it.