CPU overload- tracks unplayable

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I have a query about CPU overload. I have two instances of lmms 1.2.0 installed. One is on a laptop with Ubuntu OS and the other is on a Windows 7 pc (i5 processor). The reason for the windows install is I have MAudio and Native Instrument hardware on that PC and I want to use their vsts. All has been good for 6 months, my tracks played fine. A couple of weeks ago I was working on a track and I got cpu overload. I restarted the computer and seemed to run slightly better but then the problem came back. I tried other tracks that were previously fine and they had same problem. The CPU overload even happens with a completely blank track. If I run the tracks on the Ubuntu pc then they are fine (the Ubuntu pc is worse spec than the Windows pc). I have tried cleaning up the pc, reinstalling lmms and still have same problem. Would appreciate any feedback on what I could do to resolve.
Gasman71 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:14 am
All has been good for 6 months, my tracks played fine. A couple of weeks ago I was working on a track and I got cpu overload. I restarted the computer and seemed to run slightly better but then the problem came back.
I tried other tracks that were previously fine and they had same problem.
The CPU overload even happens with a completely blank track.
If I run the tracks on the Ubuntu pc then they are fine (the Ubuntu pc is worse spec than the Windows pc).
I have tried cleaning up the pc, reinstalling lmms and still have same problem. Would appreciate any feedback on what I could do to resolve.
First off, Welcome to the Forum Gasman71 !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

Firstly one LMMS-thing that could make issues on some hardware, is the setting 'keep-effects-running-with-no-input
You find that on General-settings, 3. from bottom
Turn that OFF, restart lmms
But if that is the reason, you must have changed your settings, and that you would know..
Therefore its propl. not that, but try.....
Let us know the outcome :)

Then 'not-lmms-things'...
It is that '6 months thing' that bothers me. 'You' must have changed 'something' back then.
I write 'You' because the more correct expression is sadly 'something' must have changed 'something' back then..
'You' may be a part of it, like ok'ing a game-demo installer, or saying 'yes' to accepting a file in activeX, but unaware of you, 'bad things' then happened.
Especially game-demos can be really crappy!
Does this ring a bell?
If that is the issue you may need to scan your activex for fails, and even run diagnostics on windows itself
Does all other programs work fine?
You also need to do a malware-scanning..
But all that is not related to lmms
Thanks for reply. Other applications seem to run OK, however if I have Firefox open for a prolonged period (24 hours) then this also slows down significantly. I run the PC as a music PC so don’t have anything other than music related software. The native Intrument packages I have on it are Komplete Kontrol and traktor pro. These are processor intensive, however they might not require as much resources as lmms. Additionally i don’t run them for prolonged time ( could be a test to leave them running for a day and see what happens). I have run a malware scanner and didn’t come up with anything. I think the last app I installed was iTunes. I have downloaded free sample packs and did wonder if any of the links may have installed something n my pc to harvest data on my pc. Another action I took was to restore the pc to an earlier point. When I reinstalled lmms I copied across all the files and data from the initial install. Would it be worth reinstalling lmms again and only copying over the projects?
UPDATE- problem solved.

"Firstly one LMMS-thing that could make issues on some hardware, is the setting 'keep-effects-running-with-no-input
But if that is the reason, you must have changed your settings, and that you would know..
Let us know the outcome :)"

This is what was slowing it down. At some point in time i must have mistakenly set. I have now deselected and the tracks play fine. Many thanks for your help. Great to have the tracks back.
Gasman71 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:54 pm
UPDATE- problem solved.

"Firstly one LMMS-thing that could make issues on some hardware, is the setting 'keep-effects-running-with-no-input
Let us know the outcome :)"

This is what was slowing it down. At some point in time i must have mistakenly set. I have now deselected and the tracks play fine. Many thanks for your help. Great to have the tracks back.
Great that it works! Looking fwd to your tracks :)