How do I install vestige?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi everyone, I'm just getting into opensource software and I really stand behind it, but I'm definitely still a noob. At the moment I'm trying to use VST's and I can't find vestige. I'm using Ubuntu studio so lmms came preinstalled, and I launched it and used it a couple times before I installed wine. I have wine installed now but I don't see vestige in my instrument plugins tab. Any tips on how to install after the fact? thanks!
Your problem is an Ubuntu problem.

Two solutions I can think off, use the appimage version:

https://lmms.io/download#linux

Download it, set rights to executable and off you go.

Or find the right package, something like LMMS VST full in your package manager.

Allot of the distro's pack an old version and often without vst support.

What is the lmms version you got ? Latest lmms is 1.2.2
faustus wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:31 pm
Hi everyone,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum faustus !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
I'm definitely still a noob.
No! You are seeking information and actively working with your issues, that is not noobish at all!
I can't find vestige. I'm using Ubuntu studio so lmms came preinstalled
Ooof.. That is no doubt an outdated version
Currently we are on 1.2.2
You can readout the version in the tittle-bar!
GPS is correct!
The correct version to use, is 1.2.2 AppImage
You should un-install the version that came with ubuntu-studio first!
Then grab -As Gps said:
https://lmms.io/download#linux

I also want you to read:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=In ... l_on_Linux
faustus wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm just getting into opensource software and I really stand behind it, but I'm definitely still a noob. At the moment I'm trying to use VST's and I can't find vestige. I'm using Ubuntu studio so lmms came preinstalled, and I launched it and used it a couple times before I installed wine. I have wine installed now but I don't see vestige in my instrument plugins tab. Any tips on how to install after the fact? thanks!
I'm with you, I'm a big fan of open source. I have a Debian box that is currently my primary production platform.
As GPS mentioned, Vestige should come preinstalled within LMMS; can you confirm what version you're running? Debian's version from the repos is still 1.1.3, so you may have an older version as well considering Ubuntu is a Debian derivative. I run it using the appimage, 1.2.2, along with WINE-staging 5.11 and it's been pretty solid with the occasional hiccup with WINE or a poorly-coded plugin.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:32 pm
I run it using the appimage, 1.2.2, along with WINE-staging 5.11 and it's been pretty solid with the occasional hiccup with WINE or a poorly-coded plugin.
That is solid and useful information and that should take care of your issue
@faustus -Thanks Mr. Lumbergh
faustus wrote:
musikbear wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:49 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:32 pm
I run it using the appimage, 1.2.2, along with WINE-staging 5.11 and it's been pretty solid with the occasional hiccup with WINE or a poorly-coded plugin.
That is solid and useful information and that should take care of your issue
@faustus -Thanks Mr. Lumbergh
faustus wrote:
Happy to help where I can, Bear.

Faustus- have you tried running from the Appimage, and if so, did that get you sorted? I've gone so far as to uninstall the version in the repos because it was so badly outdated. I can help you get a 'Nix box going if you have any questions, and there are a lot of other folks here also running on it.
Wow, thanks for all the information guys! I really appreciate the response, I've been doing some research and also reached out on reddit's r/lmms. Someone suggested I try compiling it from the github source code, so I followed a tutorial and the offficial wiki instructions but that did not work. Through that process though, I uninstalled whatever version I was using and reinstalled from the repositories via terminal. So at the moment I'm running 1.2.1, but I'm still having the issue. I'll uninstall again and download the 1.2.2 image and let you guys know my results! Thanks again!
oh my god, it worked no problem. :roll: :lol: hahah thanks again everyone! An artist I follow just shared his list of plugins with me, and I'm TOO excited to starting trying them out. If I see anyone else with this question, I'll share my experience
faustus wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:09 pm
oh my god, it worked no problem. :roll: :lol: hahah thanks again everyone! An artist I follow just shared his list of plugins with me, and I'm TOO excited to starting trying them out. If I see anyone else with this question, I'll share my experience
8-)
Right on man, happy to help. If you don't have one already, get a decent inexpensive MIDI controller. I started writing my first few tracks just with mouse clicks in the piano roll, but that's pretty uninspiring way to write in my experience. I picked up a basic MIDI keyboard in January and immediately started kicking myself for not doing it a lot sooner. Pairing that up with LMMS and getting a few good synth plugins really gives you an outstanding cost-to-fun ratio.
Beware of sites like Pluginboutique, though; they will lighten your wallet. Ask me how I know... ;)
What can I say, I like cool synths.
Congratz :)