Help with an annoyance in piano roll

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
When I'm editing in piano roll on a long section, even if I'm looping the section I'm working on, stopping playback takes me aaaaaaaallllllll the way back to the beginning of the piano roll and I have to scroll it back to the section I'm editing. Is there a way to "pin" the piano roll or a setting that will stop this so that it doesn't automatically scroll back to the beginning of the track when I stop playback to make an edit? It's not the end of the world, but gets pretty annoying when I'm trying to make several small edits in a short period of time to clean up a line.
I wish I could help! I have been looking for a split and merge operation on tracks, which would be very useful. There was a small sign that one of the testing versions might have had such operations available around 2017, but I can't find those operations in my latest lmms copies.

I can't see why such operations aren't available, or that they would be too difficult to implement. It would be good to split segments in the Song Editor - not only in the Piano Roll - as this would make things much more manageable.

If there were such operations, then it would presumably be possible to copy a segment to a spare track, then split it around the point where the edits are required. It wouldn't necessarily be necessary to join the segments after doing the edit, though some might prefer to do that.

Otherwise, I agree, that this is annoying. I use F7 to switch to the Piano Roll, and as you say, on a long segment, it always goes back to the start. Things like this are a sad pain in LMMS - and at times I don't know why I bother - but I'd like to see things improve, though if things don't in a moderate time I might give up and retreat to Logic and/or Reaper. It'd be great to get some of the seemingly trivial things sorted, and this would make LMMS much better.
Left next to the zoom, there is a toggle, to make it jump back to the beginning or not.
Left next to the zoom, there is a toggle, to make it jump back to the beginning or not.
I'm not sure that works so well for editing, or for using the plano roll. In the Song Editor it does indeed take one back to the start point - not the beginning - if set appropriately.

One other thing which might help is to set the magnification level right down - say to 12.5%, so that it's possible to scan quickly to a point of interest - but I still don't think that's a good enough solution or work around to always solve the particular problem posed.
If you click the button I mention, the piano roll will stop were you hit the space bar and wont jump back to the beginning.

Does not matter if this is in the piano roll or song editor.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:37 pm
Is there a way to "pin" the piano roll or a setting that will stop this so that it doesn't automatically scroll back to the beginning of the track when I stop playback to make an edit?
Most certainly :P
And its one of the things that is meant to change in 1.3
In that release we will change default play-head to stop in its position.
I have 'coded' it -almost to simple to call it coded, but the image-order wont play ball, so our art-department, need to make a new one
Well nwm all that.. What you need to learn is play-head 3-state behaviour
Read:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=So ... k_Controls : Return-mode
Works in both piano-roll and song-editor

If you have 1.2.2 you could try and set the play-return-mode to 'Stay', and then make a Template with that -afaik playhead behaviour should be modal in 1.2.2, but i cant test right now :p
Let me know if that hack works :p
musikbear wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:27 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Is there a way to "pin" the piano roll or a setting that will stop this so that it doesn't automatically scroll back to the beginning of the track when I stop playback to make an edit?
I have 'coded' it -almost to simple to call it coded, but the image-order wont play ball, so our art-department, need to make a new one
Read:

If you have 1.2.2 you could try and set the play-return-mode to 'Stay', and then make a Template with that -afaik playhead behaviour should be modal in 1.2.2, but i cant test right now :p
OK, thanks Bear; it's doing what I want for now, it was just called something different than what I thought when I searched for it and wasn't in Settings as I expected but in the playback windows. If I need to work on a specific section I can manually scrub over to it before starting on edits, that's no problem.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:49 pm
musikbear wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:27 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Read:

OK, thanks Bear; it's doing what I want for now, it was just called something different than what I thought when I searched for it and wasn't in Settings as I expected but in the playback windows. If I need to work on a specific section I can manually scrub over to it before starting on edits, that's no problem.
Did making a template work? (I atm only have my distro running, because i need to make something work)
musikbear wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:27 pm

Did making a template work? (I atm only have my distro running, because i need to make something work)
I haven't made a template yet, just changed playback type in the track I was working on yesterday.