Three button click command - MacOS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I wonder how many LMMS operations require a 3 button mouse. After wondering about some operations - such as delete a segment - I did some searching, and found that some operations do seem to need the middle button of a suitable mouse.

As I normally use a laptop with a trackpad, this option isn't obviously available, though there might be workarounds with an app downloaded from (say) the Apple store.

I also looked to see if this functionality can be emulated with an Apple Magic Mouse. It seems it was possible - though one fix to make this work may no longer work, and has been deprecated.

I then realised that I do actually still have an Apple wired USB mouse, and the small button on top of that functions as a middle button - and also as a scroll wheel. By connecting that, I can indeed delete segments in LMMS, so I don't need to do much other than insert that USB mouse into my systems if I want to use software with middle mouse button requirements.

So - my final question - how many LMMS commands actually require the middle button? Is there a list somewhere? I probably don't need to have the USB mouse installed all the while, but if I need to use the middle button it's probably easiest to do things that way.
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:43 pm
I wonder how many LMMS operations require a 3 button mouse. After wondering about some operations - such as delete a segment - I did some searching, and found that some operations do seem to need the middle button of a suitable mouse.

As I normally use a laptop with a trackpad, this option isn't obviously available, though there might be workarounds with an app downloaded from (say) the Apple store.

I also looked to see if this functionality can be emulated with an Apple Magic Mouse. It seems it was possible - though one fix to make this work may no longer work, and has been deprecated.

I then realised that I do actually still have an Apple wired USB mouse, and the small button on top of that functions as a middle button - and also as a scroll wheel. By connecting that, I can indeed delete segments in LMMS, so I don't need to do much other than insert that USB mouse into my systems if I want to use software with middle mouse button requirements.

So - my final question - how many LMMS commands actually require the middle button? Is there a list somewhere? I probably don't need to have the USB mouse installed all the while, but if I need to use the middle button it's probably easiest to do things that way.
I couldn't give you an exact number, but the functions I have seen that "require" a middle click also have other ways to perform them, such as deleting from the piano roll- the only time I use it is when I remember it's actually a thing, because I use it so seldomly.
dave2002-lmms wrote:
I wonder how many LMMS operations require a 3 button mouse.
Not many i can only think of fast-delete of a segment, and there are alternatives
The absolute crazy fact is that Apple does not support mouse-middle-click!
There are apps from 3. party devs, that kind of implement that feature, but they are not reliable afaik
You are out of luck.
musikbear wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:18 pm
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Not many i can only think of fast-delete of a segment, and there are alternatives
There are apps from 3. party devs, that kind of implement that feature, but they are not reliable afaik
You are out of luck.
Mac apps don't use it, and if you install Windoze using Bootcamp you get a driver from Apple that gives that functionality. I understand why they wouldn't bother with it.
musikbear wrote:
dave2002-lmms wrote:
You are out of luck.
I think it was precisely that delete of a segment that I wanted to do. I couldn't find any other way. Is there another code?

As I wrote, if I really need to do that, now I know I can plug in my older mouse I can do that - though I'd probably really rather not.

Re crazy Apple things - I think there are worse things than not having a middle button. Most software doesn't need it.
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:56 pm
musikbear wrote:
dave2002-lmms wrote:
You are out of luck.
I think it was precisely that delete of a segment that I wanted to do. I couldn't find any other way. Is there another code?

As I wrote, if I really need to do that, now I know I can plug in my older mouse I can do that - though I'd probably really rather not.

Re cray Apple things - I think there are worse things than not having a middle button. Most software doesn't need it.
If you right-click the segment in draw mode in the piano roll that'll delete the note. In song editor, right-clicking gives you a pop-up menu with delete as an option, or use the delete key.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 pm
dave2002-lmms wrote:
musikbear wrote:

If you right-click the segment in draw mode in the piano roll that'll delete the note. In song editor, right-clicking gives you a pop-up menu with delete as an option, or use the delete key.
I''ve still not managed to get delete segment to work in song editor, without using the USB 3 button mouse. Maybe there isn't a way which works in Macos - or particularly in Catalina. Being able to do it at all is helpful, though. I don't particularly want to try with the piano roll - that seems less useful for what I want to do.
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:45 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:02 pm
dave2002-lmms wrote:

I''ve still not managed to get delete segment to work in song editor, without using the USB 3 button mouse. Maybe there isn't a way which works in Macos - or particularly in Catalina. Being able to do it at all is helpful, though. I don't particularly want to try with the piano roll - that seems less useful for what I want to do.
Which Mac are you using?
If an MBP or you have a trackpad paired with it, try setting "tap to click" in the System Preferences for the pad. "Clicking" once by tapping with two fingers should give you the equivalent of a right click.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:53 am

Which Mac are you using?
If an MBP or you have a trackpad paired with it, try setting "tap to click" in the System Preferences for the pad. "Clicking" once by tapping with two fingers should give you the equivalent of a right click.
I'm useing an MBP from 2013 - now with Catalina installed. I noticed recently that there seems to be something not quite right about the System Preferences and trackpads - which I think was not the case some time ago. For some crazy reason the OS seems to treat all trackpads as external Bluetooth units, yet the trackpad is built into the machine. I'll investigate further.

I do also have an external trackpad and a couple of Magic Mice - but this should work with the inbuilt trackpad.
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:53 am

Which Mac are you using?
I'm useing an MBP from 2013 - now with Catalina installed. I noticed recently that there seems to be something not quite right about the System Preferences and trackpads - which I think was not the case some time ago. For some crazy reason the OS seems to treat all trackpads as external Bluetooth units, yet the trackpad is built into the machine. I'll investigate further.

I do also have an external trackpad and a couple of Magic Mice - but this should work with the inbuilt trackpad.
Almost like BT is seen as the primary and it's trying to use that for the connection? Try this:
open up your Finder search and then click on Go in the menu. Select Go to Folder and type in /Library/Preferences. You’ll be able to see a file titled com.apple.Bluetooth.plist. Delete the file, or if that bothers you, rename it with an extension such as .bak to keep a backup you can revert back to. Once the file has been deleted, you need to restart your Mac and attempt to re-pair your Bluetooth devices.

Similarly for mouse issues: navigate to the same /Library/Preferences directory and delete two files: Locate com.apple.AppleMultitouchMouse.plist and com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse.plist and trash or rename those too. You may have to find a wired USB mouse to use temporarily. After the files have been deleted, reboot your Mac, and it should recreate the files automagically.

None of what you're dealing with sounds very fun, I'm gonna stick with Mojave on my MBP...