LMMS freezes while exporting in Windows 10 Home

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi there, I'm back with another question. To preface, I was using v1.2.0 64bit and had this problem, and so I just updated to v1.2.2 64bit and it's persisting anyway. So, I have multiple projects that I work on and export from with either no issue or a quick freeze at the start of the export before continuing as normal. I've just started a project that seems to have a unique exporting problem.
When I go to export and press start, instantly the program freezes and the window grays out, and isn't affected by ctrl+alt+delete. If I leave LMMS running, after a long while the gray will go away and the progress bar will say 100%. After another moment, it goes away and an export file is there and named properly, but the content is way wrong and out of order.
This particular project is a remix and I've used the AudioFileProcessor to load up stems of the song (which are each the length of the original song) and selected small segments that I can use and arrange, then make the midi for them. In the program, they sound flawless. In the file that is eventually exported, the segments chosen are incorrect, some repeat over and over, and all tracks are played off greatly from their intended arrangement. Interestingly though, v1.2.0 recreated the same incorrect order again and again, but v1.2.2's export is different.Probably not useful information, but I thought that was neat.
If there's any additional information you need to help with ideas to help, I'll try to respond as quickly as possible.

P.S. Yes, I closed and reopened LMMS, and yes I restarted my computer and tried again.

Alaaniel
AlaanDavis wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:37 am
Hi there, I'm back with another question. To preface, I was using v1.2.0 64bit and had this problem, and so I just updated to v1.2.2 64bit and it's persisting anyway. So, I have multiple projects that I work on and export from with either no issue or a quick freeze at the start of the export before continuing as normal. I've just started a project that seems to have a unique exporting problem.
When I go to export and press start, instantly the program freezes and the window grays out, and isn't affected by ctrl+alt+delete. If I leave LMMS running, after a long while the gray will go away and the progress bar will say 100%. After another moment, it goes away and an export file is there and named properly, but the content is way wrong and out of order.
This particular project is a remix and I've used the AudioFileProcessor to load up stems of the song (which are each the length of the original song) and selected small segments that I can use and arrange, then make the midi for them. In the program, they sound flawless. In the file that is eventually exported, the segments chosen are incorrect, some repeat over and over, and all tracks are played off greatly from their intended arrangement. Interestingly though, v1.2.0 recreated the same incorrect order again and again, but v1.2.2's export is different.Probably not useful information, but I thought that was neat.
If there's any additional information you need to help with ideas to help, I'll try to respond as quickly as possible.

P.S. Yes, I closed and reopened LMMS, and yes I restarted my computer and tried again.

Alaaniel
So just to clarify, you generally don't have this kind of trouble but are experiencing it on a specific track?
AlaanDavis wrote:
export program freezes and the window grays out, and isn't affected by ctrl+alt+delete. If I leave LMMS running, after a long while the gray will go away and the progress bar will say 100%. After another moment, it goes away and an export file is there and named properly, but the content is way wrong and out of order.
Ok. I think you may have a ram-issue. How many MB of stems does your project have?
Wave-files adds up quickly ..

please post your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms sound device chosen
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... o_Settings
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
* Buffer-size Latency setting
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... l_Settings

In case you need to get your project 'out', you can .
Use audacity to record lmms output, then you can get an 'export' of your project, but we would still want to digest this issue.
Best would be to have the project, but since you have used stem-sound-files, that is quite complicated in current lmms, However i will still like to see the actual project without any soundfiles at all, just the bare skeleton.
Please upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:49 am
So just to clarify, you generally don't have this kind of trouble but are experiencing it on a specific track?
That's right. For projects with lots of tracks, short freezes in export are normal but this one is different. It's also the first one I've used the AudioFileProcessor in this way, though.
musikbear wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:51 pm
AlaanDavis wrote:
Ok. I think you may have a ram-issue. How many MB of stems does your project have?
Wave-files adds up quickly ..

please post your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms sound device chosen
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... o_Settings
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
* Buffer-size Latency setting
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... l_Settings

Please upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it.
In the project, there is 1865.5MB if I calculate the WAV files they're referencing together in all the tracks.
To experiment, I removed all tracks I wasn't using yet just to minimize and see what happened. That brought the MBs down to 1046.5 but the same result

My OS is Windows 10 Home v1903
The LMMS sound device selected (If I'm looking at the right thing) is Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Buffer is set to 256 frames, 5.3ms latency
Computer Specs:
Processor: AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C + 6G 1.80 GHz
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB
System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

I'll send my project off right away, thank you! And thanks for the Audacity tip, I use it to send off my concept.
AlaanDavis wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 pm
It's also the first one I've used the AudioFileProcessor in this way, though.
Have you tried without? That'd be the first thing I'd look into considering the problem is just now starting.
AlaanDavis wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 pm
My OS is Windows 10 Home v1903.....
Fine PC nothing there.
I'll send my project off right away,

I got it as i told you in PM, and i have no problem exporting. I have done it in all 4 formats, with default export-settings.
As soundfile i just took a default (tb303_01.ogg)
So that sets focus on possible differences bewteen my export and yours, but also differences in setup.
The first that came up was the AFP's you have used
They are identical(?)
Everyone has the same settings, and same envelope setup -why?

AFP-settings also include options for visualizing the playing
That could perhaps be an issue. For that reason i want you to check what you have chosen in
Edit| Settings| Performance-settings| AFP-visual
eg:
That should be Off

I dont think that is the issue. You have fine HW and you should be able to use all 'bells and fireworks'
If it indeed is the reason, then we need to know, and do something about it..
Eg : -IF that selection is ON, the do try and set it OFF. Restart Lmms, and export.

But i doubt that is the issue. I suspect a flawed soundfile instead!
To investigate that, make notice of at what time/ percentage of export the program freeze, then compare with witch audio-file is being played at that time-stamp.
That is the easy way to find a 'bad' file
If it does not correspond to a file-initiation-point, then you need to test each of the used audio-files, preferably in a different program first, and then in lmms. It may be that playback 'tolerate' the flaw, but export does not
Again very strange, but computers are strange at times.....
So that was the reasonable way to find a flawed file -Now the unreasonable and w-o-r-s-t ..
You need to make a copy of the project
To spare yourself from at least some trouble, I would firstly remove all tracks with no MIDI-blocks, then save with a different name, and use that projectfile for rest of the sequence.
You should also try to export after you have removed all no-MIDI-block-tracks
The rest is ..'simple':
Remove all tracks except 1., and then export
If it hangs. Lucky You, but it is almost always not the first :|
and ya.. After you done 1. track
New project-copy
Remove all tracks except 2.
Export
....Rinse and repeat
Its a drag, but its the only way..