Recording MIDI with Sustain pedal

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I have a problem and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just like that. I can play my piano via MIDI and record as I play with the record button and I can use the sustain pedal, which results in notes just being extended in duration (as opposed to a sustain pedal control event). If I later export this as a MIDI file, it will be saved as if I had kept the keys pressed. Sometimes, that's no problem, but in some circumstances, I'd like to be able to differentiate these two things.

On the other hand, if I import a MIDI file for one channel and the MIDI file contains sustain events, they are ignored and not represented in the piano roll in any way. This is inconvenient because I have some MIDI files I recorded in the past with my piano that were saved event by event and I can't get them to sound right in LMMS.

Is there a way I can tackle at least one of these two related issues? Thank you so much!
xlucas wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:07 am
I have a problem and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just like that. I can play my piano via MIDI and record as I play with the record button and I can use the sustain pedal, which results in notes just being extended in duration (as opposed to a sustain pedal control event). If I later export this as a MIDI file, it will be saved as if I had kept the keys pressed. Sometimes, that's no problem, but in some circumstances, I'd like to be able to differentiate these two things.

On the other hand, if I import a MIDI file for one channel and the MIDI file contains sustain events, they are ignored and not represented in the piano roll in any way. This is inconvenient because I have some MIDI files I recorded in the past with my piano that were saved event by event and I can't get them to sound right in LMMS.

Is there a way I can tackle at least one of these two related issues? Thank you so much!
Sustain issues is something we are working on. The not so good thing is that this has gone on for years.
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/4516
I believe there are issues due to differences in different keyboards -not sure