How to Zoom in to my Play Head?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I find it extremely annoying that everytime I hold ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel, it zooms into the begining part of the song editor or piano roll. When I need to zoom in and check a specific part in the middle of the timeline, I would have to zoom in to the beginning and manually scroll to the part. This is very counterintuitive and annoying. Any idea how to do that? I Googled this but nothing seems to answer my question. There should be a way to zoom to my play head.
Eary wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:56 am
I find it extremely annoying that everytime I hold ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel, it zooms into the begining part of the song editor or piano roll. When I need to zoom in and check a specific part in the middle of the timeline, I would have to zoom in to the beginning and manually scroll to the part. This is very counterintuitive and annoying. Any idea how to do that? I Googled this but nothing seems to answer my question. There should be a way to zoom to my play head.
It has to do with your choice in the transport-setting. The button to the right:
It has 3 states:
Default: Back to zero.png Back to Zero (default): the playhead returns to the beginning of the song (bar #1).
<< Back to start.png Back to start : the playhead returns to the position where this playback started.
>> Keep stop position.pngContinue : the playhead remains where it was stopped (i.e. it doesn't move).
and read: https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=So ... k_Controls
So your playhead will jump to 0.0 in the default state. We btw plan to change that.
The state you want is >>
Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome Eary!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
musikbear wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:49 pm
Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome Eary!
Thanks

musikbear wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:49 pm
So your playhead will jump to 0.0 in the default state. We btw plan to change that.
The state you want is >>
No, I think you don't understand what I mean. Yeah it's better to have the play-head staying where it is, but that's not what I was asking in this post. I was asking for the operation to zoom in to a particular part of the timeline, like the part where my play-head is currently at.

For example, here is my timeline:
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-\/-17-18-19-20------------
This "\/" is where my play-head is, it is in between 16 and 17.
I want to zoom in so that it looks like:
14—— 15——16—— \/—— 17——
But now if I hold ctrl and scroll, it does this:
1————— 2 (The play-head is on the far right off screen)
I need to manually scroll the view back to the play head after zooming.
I hope I describe the question clear enough this time, lol.
It is basically zooming in with the play-head being the zooming center point @musikbear
Eary wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:04 pm
I was asking for the operation to zoom in to a particular part of the timeline, like the part where my play-head is currently at.
..yea, i 'feared' you would say that :p
And thats a weakspot in lmms. We need to have not only methods to jump view to play-head position, but in fact to any position. We have it planned..
That and bookmarks / jump-to-bookmarks, as well
Zooming/ scaling on a selected area is also 'planned'
We have a lot planned 'stuff', but few devs 🙄
musikbear wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:13 pm
We have it planned..
That and bookmarks / jump-to-bookmarks, as well
Zooming/ scaling on a selected area is also 'planned'
Glad to know it's planned. I have found a workaround for now. If there is a pattern (even an empty one) at where the play-head is, I can zoom in and then hit space bar to play, then it automatically scrolls to the place. It does not work when the place does not have any pattern though.