Clicking In Beginning of Sample

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello,
I'm sampling a recording of a chorus for a new song, and for some reason it clicks at the beginning of the sample. I've tried messing with the envelope (both via attack and startpoint) but there seems to just be a click at the point I want to sample. It's not in the original recording. Is there something I can do about this or is it simply the product of bad audio quality when downloading the sample?
That definitely sounds like an envelope problem, but you've already mentioned that. Is it possible you accidentally set the filter envelope attack instead of the volume envelope attack, or maybe didn't enable the envelope? Does it still click when setting a very long attack?

Clicking could be a result of bad sample quality, but you would hear it under normal playback if that were the case.
DKB wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:54 pm
Hello,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum DKB !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
sample clicks at the beginning , tried messing with the envelope (both via attack and startpoint) It's not in the original recording.
I need to ask if you by It's not in the original recording means that there are no click in the source, or that you have made sure that YOUR recording is without click, in a program like the free audacity? Also have you used any effects ?
If so, try to shut them off, and see if that solves the click issue
Also, Stakeout mentioned 'Enabling the envelope'
Is AMT at MAX?
Here VOLUME envelope is selected and AMT is at MAX, with make the curve fully green
I've tried maxing out the attack, and it still clicks; same with turning off effects. The funny thing is, when I do those, it disappears for 1-2 repetitions of the loop, but then reappears. I have also checked both the original and downloaded versions of the sample for clicks, but I'm not sure how to do so in audacity. Either way, if there is one, it's nowhere near as noticeable as it is in LMMS. Finally, turning on modulation is usually a good solution for these types of issues, but the loop is sustained for 8 bars so I unfortunately can't. To be honest I'm at a bit of a loss, if you guys have any other tricks up your sleeve I'm open to suggestions but at this point I'm not expecting anything.
DKB wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:16 pm
it disappears for 1-2 repetitions of the loop, but then reappears.
This suggests to me that this could possibly be a volume envelope release problem, unless it also happens at the very beginning of playback as well. The shorter the release, the faster and more unceremoniously the sample is cut off before being retriggered. No release means the sample is hard stopped, which almost always results in clicking.

Additionally, if you are using any form of sidechain or automated volume ducking, it is possible to introduce clicking depending on the method used.
Yeah, you're right; it seems like that in fiddling with the startpoint I may have fixed the starting click but also caused a release one. I upped the release, but it only fixed it temporarily (again for 1-2 repetitions). I was finally able to fix the click by turning the release up, but the value is high enough that it ruins the loop; is there any way to get around this?
Thanks for narrowing the problem down!
DKB wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:08 am
Yeah, you're right; it seems like that in fiddling with the startpoint I may have fixed the starting click but also caused a release one. I upped the release, but it only fixed it temporarily (again for 1-2 repetitions). I was finally able to fix the click by turning the release up, but the value is high enough that it ruins the loop; is there any way to get around this?
Thanks for narrowing the problem down!
That 1-2 repetitions is bothering me, but i have a suspicion. Are you using AFP or Sample-track? Can one or several of the soundfiles be overlapping with just a few msekd?
That could enhance a part of the spectrum of either the end of the previous or the start of the next sample. It would appear as attack or release clicks, but are infact not.
Examine the positions at highest magnification.
You can try slicing the sample in Audacity and then adding a very quick fade in and fade out (e.g one millisecond) to start and end of the slice in Audacity, and see if that removes clicks.

Usually clicks happen because the amplitude at the start or the end of the looped sample is nonzero, so the speaker needs to make a sudden amplitude change, producing a click.

Though I'm confused about why the clicks would come with a delay. What envelopes/effects/automation do you have and what LMMS version?
Okay so it's happening again on a different track, only this time it appears irregularly throughout the track (every 3-4 bars, with no discernable pattern). I suspect this is a problem with the program's rendering itself, however, because it's not regularly repeating. Has any of you ever seen this before?
DKB wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:55 am
Okay so it's happening again on a different track, only this time it appears irregularly throughout the track (every 3-4 bars, with no discernable pattern). I suspect this is a problem with the program's rendering itself, however, because it's not regularly repeating. Has any of you ever seen this before?
Have you restarted your pc today?
What does the CPU meter show when you get the clicks?
Do you run other software simultaneously with lmms during the export?