Cant connect Yamaha P71 to LMMS on Catalina 10.15.7

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi, I am new to LMMS in general. I wanted to start making songs with a wider suite of instruments than just a piano/what GarageBand had to offer so I am trying out LMMS. However, when I navigate to Preferences>Midi Settings>Midi Interface, I cannot find my yamaha p71 keyboard in the dropdown options at all. However, when I connect my yamaha via USB AB to my computer, I am able to connect to GarageBand no problem.

I am running LMMS v1.2.2 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. I am connecting my yamaha p71 via USB AB since I do not have a midi usb cable (although if this is definitely the issue I can just order one).

Any help would be appreciated, TIA.
There aren't much mac users.

Did you connect the Yamaha before you started LMMS ?

That's the only thing I can think of.

( I am on Linux)
First off, Welcome to the Forum tyu91 !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

I am afraid that you need to connect through USB
So this:
tyu91 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:41 pm
. I am connecting my yamaha p71 via USB AB since I do not have a midi usb cable (although if this is definitely the issue I can just order one).
could be the problem. I write 'could' because when it comes to MAC, the features are in a development state, but without USB connection, it wont work, bit no guarantee that it will work, even with USB -Sorry.
Here is a guide for MIDI connecting in general:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Using_MIDI
I will try and investigate if any one have a MIDI-kb connected to a MAC.
Hi musikbear,

Thank you so much for this comprehensive response! Would you recommend I dual boot my laptop in linux and connect with a midi USB instead? I was considering doing this, but was not sure if it would work with the yamaha I had because looking through the forums and online it looks like most people use other yamaha versions with lmms and not the p71.
tyu91 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:06 pm
Hi musikbear,

Thank you so much for this comprehensive response! Would you recommend I dual boot my laptop in linux and connect with a midi USB instead? I was considering doing this, but was not sure if it would work with the yamaha I had because looking through the forums and online it looks like most people use other yamaha versions with lmms and not the p71.
I know that the MIDI-KB functionality success-rate in Linux is as good as in windows, so that would most likely work, provided you do connect through USB. I have searched for a user that has MIDI-KB working om MAC. but not a single person has reacted, so it may be that there is non...
Scratch that! A MAC user has chimed in, and connecting his MIDI-KB is successful!
He forgot to say what he connected with, but i asked him if its USB. When he returns, i will inform you, but i bet it IS USB!
Hello, its that user from discord (⊙✼✺⁂)
I had succesfully connected midi-kb Behringer u-control umx490 to mac 10.13.+, through USB AB cable (for certainty):
If i've rightly undertood - through that cable your midi doesn't connecting, and you have other usb slot only without cable for it. It could being as solution ofcourse, only in my case USB AB connection just fine.

Very doubting here may be something about OS version, although everything could happens.
Karlos wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:23 am
Hello, its that user from discord (⊙✼✺⁂)
I had succesfully connected midi-kb Behringer u-control umx490 to mac 10.13.+, through USB AB cable (for certainty):
If i've rightly undertood - through that cable your midi doesn't connecting, and you have other usb slot only without cable for it. It could being as solution ofcourse, only in my case USB AB connection just fine.

Very doubting here may be something about OS version, although everything could happens.
Great post!
Hopes he sees it Thanks!
I decided check out and appears that preferences menu -> midi settings indeed don't showing actual midi-kb (there selected 'apple midi', and having 'no midi' and 'jack midi' option) , although if opened an instrument -> midi settings or menu of instrument -> midi -> input, there UMX 490 shown, so maybe its a problem.
Hi Karlos,

Thanks so much, I was able to get to connect to an instrument using this instruments workaround and am now recording. Really appreciate you and musikbear's assistance!