Crackling, poping, clicking sounds on LMMS linux

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Ive tried the default settings on both Linux LMMS 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 and they both have this cracking/popping/clicking sounds out of the box on the instruments such as Kicker, Organic (organs), Triple Oscillator, Bit Invader. I haven't gone through all the tools and sound files but it's there for the most part.

I tried out the default package of LMMS 1.2.1 from Software Manager and then 1.2.2 App image from LMMS. both affected by the noise.
MIDI432 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:44 am
cracking/popping/clicking sounds
-are mostly caused by envelope settings ao loudness ao resonance in excess
Some backends can also lead to these types of artefacts. The foolproof backend for both windows and Linux is SDL
So thats you first thing! Choose SDL as Devise, then backend is eliminated as origin, you can always go back to your preferred backend later.
The usage of Envelopes is described here:
https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/3-navi ... -2-env-lfo
Loudness with excess of resonance can also create 'click' artefacts
Here you need to make sure that the volume does not result in clipping (red profile i monitor/ mixer-diodes)
Hello. I have the same problem with some of the sounds. Specifically, the lower the sound is (bass) the likelier it is to misbehave. I tried a free VST plugin Podolski; preset HS Sirius Base. Between different sounds in the piano roll you can hear clicking and no amount of playing with the envelope helps the matter. The volume is already set pretty low. You can barely hear the sound, but the clicking is there. I tried the different audio interface options, but the issue persisted. Then, I thought the plugin was the problem, so I put it in FL studio. No popping sound with the same VST settings and the same tune. This seems like an LMMS issue or LMMS-Podolski relation issue.
hallrexxal wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:38 pm
Hello.
Hi, Welcome to the Forum hallrexxal !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

I have the same problem with some of the sounds. Specifically, the lower the sound is (bass) the likelier it is to misbehave. I tried a free VST plugin Podolski; preset HS Sirius Base. Between different sounds in the piano roll you can hear clicking and no amount of playing with the envelope helps the matter. The volume is already set pretty low. You can barely hear the sound, but the clicking is there. I tried the different audio interface options, but the issue persisted. Then, I thought the plugin was the problem, so I put it in FL studio. No popping sound with the same VST settings and the same tune. This seems like an LMMS issue or LMMS-Podolski relation issue.
[/quote]

I focus on two things (bolded)
Even though the volume is low, it can clip, if
* initiated with no envelope
Read: https://docs.lmms.io/user-manual/3-navi ... -2-env-lfo
* uses a resonance that results in a 'surge'
Lower reso, retry

Podolsky works fine in LMMS i have used it, i 'm not sure i have used that preset, so i will test later :)

We like to know:
your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms version, and the site where you got it from
* The name of theme
* lmms sound device chosen
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... o_Settings
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
Thanks for the prompt response.

lmms version: 1.2.1
lmms: got it from the official website
ram: 2x4 gb ddr4 (2400)
Audio interface: SDL
Soundcard (HP laptop integrated realtek)

I tried resonance and although it diminished the crackle it was still there. I think I found a solution. It may sound obvious, but, in piano roll, I set the highest quantization possible 192. Then I shortened the length of each note by a beat. Prior to this the notes were positioned adjacently, touching upon each other (legato). Creating these tiny spaces among them got rid of the crackling. Recall how I tried FL, too. It was legato there, as well, but the issue was not there. Perhaps, piano roll in lmms views these notes as overlapping or it's something to do with my configuration. Nonetheless, I am happy I can continue my project and I hope this helps people with similar issues. Thanks for taking the time.
After a long hiatus of LMMS I came back to it to its version 1.2.2 for Linux 86_64 and the noises still happen when using right out of the box. Does this happen only with Linux Builds? If so does it have anything to do with Pulseaudio or ALSA? I currently use Linux Mint 20.2 as my OS.
MIDI432 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:19 pm
After a long hiatus of LMMS I came back to it to its version 1.2.2 for Linux 86_64 and the noises still happen when using right out of the box. Does this happen only with Linux Builds? If so does it have anything to do with Pulseaudio or ALSA? I currently use Linux Mint 20.2 as my OS.
It is a question about using an envelope, so general and not only linux.
Setting up an envelope should always be done when you create a preset. The default instrument in lmms < 1.3 dragged in from sidebar does not have a default envelope. 1.3 does, but it still need to be activated, you need to set AMT to a value > 0.
In order to get the envelope to completely control the output, set AMT to +100%
Obs that AMT can be negative!
You can make effects with that feature.