i want to start coding because of lmms! i need guidance! :)

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
hi,

my name is tania, i'm from germany and new to this community :)

i started beatmaking last year. next to using ios apps for music making (such as "groovebox" and "imaschine"), i bought a midi controller (launchkey mini mk3) that came with ableton live lite 10. the workflow of the launchkey with ableton is unique and i also love using the controller with my ios apps. recently i even bought the maschine mikro mk3 because i love the maschine workflow.

however, i admire the idea and ability of using free open source software, making it possible/accessible for everyone to create music independently of profit companies. that is why i challenge myself at the moment to use rather lmms than my other software. i like lmms and i think it can have a great future. i read that what lmms needs, are developers.

so, i don't really know how to code. years ago i learned basic html skills, which i don't remember anymore really ;). improving lmms and its worklfow to create music more userfriendly, encourages me to learn coding! do you think it is possible to just learn coding and trying to work on the lmms development with you? or are my goals too unrealistic? :D

my vision for the software:
- making the gui more userfriendly while keeping the actual style of lmms. for example, i would like to be able to dock the mixer and piano roll to the bottom of the screen and i would like to embed instruments and plugins to the left sidebar. because i don't like that every window is floating, i would like to be them easier accessable.
- add the ability to midi map transport functions, such as play/stop, record, loop...
- making it possible to implement scripts for midi controllers
- other functions for better editing, like selecting multiple objects (like tracks or pattern) end editing them at once, tap tempo..

i know, sure there are issues posted on github. but i am completely new to this whole coding world and i need some guidance, please :D

are my visions too utopian for a complete beginner? and very time intensive? of course i should start with smaller, beginner issues, i know :D
can you tell me where to start?
i read that lmms is written in c++. i use linux (ubuntu studio, with very little linux knowledge) and i just downloaded the software "atom" for coding.

please don't laugh at me. i am serious about that, if time allows it to me, and great things start with visions! :)
i would love to get answers/help/guidance from you!

greetings from germany,
tania
tania wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:08 am
hi,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum tania !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

i read that what lmms needs, are developers.
We do!
do you think it is possible to just learn coding and trying to work on the lmms development with you? or are my goals too unrealistic?
LMMS is a very big project, and it is coded in c++, a code-language that is considered advanced and somewhat complicated :p, but everyone has started somewhere, so imo you should definitively continue with your ambition to become a coder!
What i would recommend, is that you make yourself familiar with c++ in a fun and inspirering way, and nothing is as fun as making 'stuff' move and do things on command -Yes, i am talking about making computer-games!
Start with c++ in the very easy and fun game-engine RayLib. It will helt you understand the most important principles, not only in c++, but in coding in general!
Here are a set of great videos on RayLib, where all about getting and installing is explained very well:

are my visions too utopian for a complete beginner?
;) Yes

Give RayLib a try, and then after perhaps 1/2 year, you could have an understanding of c++ methods and coding in general, then it would be much more awarding to go into a project like LMMS.
haha cool, thank you for your friendly and honest answer! i will definitely check it out.

what would be the next step then, after i am somewhat comfortable with raylib? contact you developers to see where i could help?
tania wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:13 pm
what would be the next step then, after i am somewhat comfortable with raylib? contact you developers to see where i could help?
Yes! And we also have a guide for how to start out:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki
But play around with rayLib for some month and get an understanding of things like pointers references header-files and OOP, with inheritance and hierarchies. Dont loose your enthusiasm over the lingo, it will be a steep curve in the start, but then it will all come together
Another thing to do is join the discord server at https://lmms.io/chat. A lot of our developers are very active there for any questions or pointers you might have getting familiar with the codebase.
tania wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:08 am
hi,

i started beatmaking last year. next to using ios apps for music making (such as "groovebox" and "imaschine"), i bought a midi controller (launchkey mini mk3) that came with ableton live lite 10. the workflow of the launchkey with ableton is unique and i also love using the controller with my ios apps. recently i even bought the maschine mikro mk3 because i love the maschine workflow.
I am not familiar with iOS apps but I would suggest you to watch some videos on YouTube

Because from YouTube, you can learn better.