My mixes seem to be coming out really quiet lately.

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Using version 1.2.2 (win32/x86_64, Qt. 5.4.2, GCC 4.9.4 20150716 (prerelease))

I typically leave my system volume around 20 (because I've gotten paranoid about my tinnitus), and that seems fine if a little subdued for most things I do. Working in LMMS sounds fine at that system volume though. I typically don't mess with the main volume slider in LMMS either, making any changes to overall volume in the master track of the FX-Mixer. Lately though when I export a track and listen to it in anything other than winamp (like, for instance, if I email it to someone and listen to it from the email in the embedded media player, or even listen to it on Soundcloud or Spotify) it sounds INCREDIBLY quiet.

I feel like this didn't used to happen, but I can't remember when I updated to 1.2.2 so I don't have any solid data. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to boost the volume to uncomfortable levels before I export them? Would really appreciate some help with this.
This seems to be a general problem with LMMS since I started about a year or two ago. Even when the global volume in LMMS is set at max, the exported track is still fairly quiet.

Admittedly, I set the instruments fairly quiet when I create the track. Need to make it a habit to turn them up more and instead reduce the global volume while working on the track.

I've been using mp3louder.com to increase the volume by 2-3 decibels, but it is far from a perfect solution and can introduce sound artifacts. At 2 decibels plus it seems to be okay.
Third Eye Focus wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:55 am
This seems to be a general problem with LMMS
Well infact it a little different.
Some DAWs has default effects. Those kind of 'enhance' output. LMMS does not do that.
Instead you need to build the sound with EQ-ing
I have made a tutorial(s) on this subject years ago:

and one focusing zasfx:

Foggy wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:55 am
Lately.......
Examine your projects. 1.2.2 is not making a 'softer' output afaic hear. Must b something you have changed in your setup
Did you guys get through?
The only thing I've changed in my setup was getting a new computer, but that was about a year and a half ago, and this has occurred since then. My setup is literally "Put LMMS on computer and use it". I'm using the same headphones I always have because this computer, like my last one, has terrible built in speakers. On my last machine I'd keep the system volume around 75%, on this one the system volume is kept around 20%, which you'd think would make me need to make my mixes louder, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Would boosting the master volume be a better solution?
I think I fixed it. I ended up going into the system volume mixer and changing some things around- setting my system volume to 50 seems to be a generally good volume for everything except for LMMS and winamp, which were deafening at that volume. I changed their values in the system volume mixer down to 10 and 20 respectively (since changing the master volume in LMMS just makes things come out quieter). Now my exported tracks seem to be about roughly the same volume as they sound when I'm using LMMS itself.

For the record, I've never had to mess with the windows volume mixer before and I don't know why this happened, but it seems to have solved the problem so I'm rolling with it.
Foggy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:12 pm
I think I fixed it.

👍
For the record, I've never had to mess with the windows volume mixer before and I don't know why this happened, but it seems to have solved the problem so I'm rolling with it.
I lost sound completely after a win10 update. The update removed all settings in my sound-setup, and i also had to reinstall the driver! It could be something in the ballpark that caused your issues, but something like installing a game, or worse game-demos, can also mess things up. Demos can do rough changes, but 'forget' to fix the change, when you exit.
musikbear wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:02 pm
I lost sound completely after a win10 update. The update removed all settings in my sound-setup, and i also had to reinstall the driver! It could be something in the ballpark that caused your issues, but something like installing a game, or worse game-demos, can also mess things up. Demos can do rough changes, but 'forget' to fix the change, when you exit.
Huh. Now that you mention it I wouldn't be too surprised if it happened because of a windows update. At least now I know to check that as a potential problem spot.