LMMS not seeing Arturia MicroLab

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Greetings, beautiful music makers!

I have just began my journey, and I am enchanted, playing around with the virtual instruments 'till 3 AM :-) There is one thing that could make my experience better: if my LMMS could recognize my MIDI keyboard (Arturia MicroLab). I have done everything according to the LMMS wiki, including plugging the device in BEFORE starting LMMS.

No go, the device does not show up on the list, no virtual instrument can be connected to it (there is not even the little piano icon in the MIDI tab of any instrument).

Now here's the funny part: My Ubuntu DOES see the keyboard. I know this because:

Code: Select all

$ aconnect -i
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 20: 'Arturia MicroLab' [type=kernel,card=1]
    0 'Arturia MicroLab MIDI 1'
and

Code: Select all

$ aseqdump -p 20
Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
Source  Event                  Ch  Data
 20:0   Note on                 8, note 57, velocity 9
 20:0   Note off                8, note 57, velocity 10
 20:0   Note on                 8, note 62, velocity 21
 20:0   Note off                8, note 62, velocity 7
 20:0   Note on                 8, note 59, velocity 6
 20:0   Note off                8, note 59, velocity 10
 20:0   Note on                 8, note 55, velocity 8
 20:0   Note off                8, note 55, velocity 20
 20:0   Note on                 8, note 53, velocity 9
 20:0   Note off                8, note 53, velocity 19
 20:0   Note on                 8, note 60, velocity 64
 20:0   Note off                8, note 60, velocity 33
So it even recognizes the keys being pressed :-( I would very much appreciate any help I could get.
Naharim wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:12 pm
Greetings,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Naharim !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
LMMS could not recognize my MIDI keyboard (Arturia MicroLab). I have done everything according to the LMMS wiki, including plugging the device in BEFORE starting LMMS.

please post your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms version, and the site where you got it from
Thank you kindly.

My OS: Ubuntu Studio.
LMMS: 1.2.1, from the Software Center (actually, with this particular Ubuntu variant, it's already there when you install the OS).
OK, now I'm HORRIBLY ashamed. I've just noticed that the LMMS version available for download on lmms.io is 1.2.2. I've downloaded the app image... and it works like a charm!

Sorry to have wasted anyone's time, please close the subject and consider me a happy Teletubbie!

EDIT: Nope. I was happy for a moment. Then I restarted my computer and even the newest version of LMMS does not see my Arturia. Which is really, really super weird, since it worked just a couple hours ago XD So I could still use help!

EDIT 2: A curious thing... The MIDI keyboard works fine when the AppImage is run as root (sudo + -allowroot). However, I cannot work like that, since the program does not have access to my HOME folders. I'm looking into this further, any help still appreciated!

EDIT 3: Last update. I can now use the program with my MIDI devide by running it as root. It's a pain in the arse and it's not exactly a safe way to run linux apps, but at least it works. If anyone has an idea about what I'm doing wrong, I'm curious :-)