Export problems, audio comes out wrong

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
[It's mostly occurring on my current project, but I realized that this kinda happens sometimes to my other ones too, so I guess this applies to all of 'em.]

When exporting the entire music, a lot of the times the audio never really comes out right. An instrument track or two, and random ones at that, either become distorted or very loud compared to the rest of the song - affecting the entire song.

I've tried different methods and have searched around. Export settings I've messed around, with no consistent way found. (I'll post some of it that I tried below).

The weird part? Sometimes, I DO get it right and it comes out sounding fine. Actually, now that I think about it, on some projects (too much to really figure out which ones) I don't remember this really being an issue. On others, (like the one in the video I'll post), it's like 90 chance of wrong export over 10 chance of it being correct.

(In the video, the first audio file shown has its basslines distorted/louder, the second one is the correct one that it rendered right, once, through all the attempts.)

Could it be LMMS itself? Or is it my computer? My way of mixing? Broken FXs? (SDL is selected btw don't know if that matters). (Oh, and playback in the program works perfectly, until the song is rendered. then it actually messes that up too, i.e the track(s) that becomes distorted. it goes away after restarting).

VIDEO HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xeuS-M2I4Y

{Project Export settings; I could have missed some but I was honestly just winging it because of frustration. these are kinda on the top of my head :p }

(48,000 hz, Sinc Best, WAV file, 16/24 bit - these are generally the settings I've always used.)

Consistent: .WAV, Oversampling 1x

Tried>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sinc Best, 48000 Hz, 24bit
Sinc Best, 48000 Hz, 16bit
Sinc Best, 44100 Hz, 24bit
Sinc Best, 44100 Hz, 16bit
Sinc Medium, 48000 Hz, 24bit
Sinc Medium, 44100 Hz, 24bit
Sinc Medium, 44100 Hz, 16bit
Sinc Medium, 196000 Hz, 16bit
Sinc Fastest, 44100 Hz, 24bit
Zero Order Hold, 44100 Hz, 24bit
Zero Order Hold, 48000 Hz, 24bit

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have the latest version of LMMS too btw
(and for those curious the music in the video is me trying to create a PC98 cover of Pokemon RSE Gym Leader battle theme lol)
First off, Welcome to the Forum Ryte !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Ryte wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:00 am
When exporting the entire music, a lot of the times the audio never really comes out right. An instrument track or two, and random ones at that, either become distorted or very loud compared to the rest of the song - affecting the entire song.
Consistent: .WAV, Oversampling 1x
'Almost sure your issue is caused by oversampling.
Try without.
If that does not help, do post again
musikbear wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:45 pm
'Almost sure your issue is caused by oversampling.
Try without.
If that does not help, do post again
I have the Oversampling option in the Export settings as 1x (none), there's nothing lower than that. Is that what you mean? 'Cuz I never mess with it, and it occurs even when Oversampling is set at 1x (none).

I went back to render it again, (with the settings: WAV, Oversampling (none, 1x), 44100 Hz, 24bit, Sinc Best). I did it four more times. Results? The first two actually exported correctly, then the following next two rendered wrong. (Both had its bassline parts distorted again, like in my video).
Ryte wrote:
I have the latest version of LMMS too btw
Yes, lets start there
Lataest is 1,2,2 Is that your version
Where did you get it from?
What is your OS
please post your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms version, and the site where you got it from
* lmms sound device chosen is SDL -so that is fine
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... o_Settings
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
* Buffer-size Latency setting
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... l_Settings
open :
projects\demos\Greippi - Krem Kaakkuja (SecondFlight Remix).mmpz
-and export that with your current setup. It only utilize default content!
Does that export correctly, or as inconstant as your own project.
I would also like to examine your project.
Upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it. If you do not care about copyright, you can upload the project, and then post the link here

To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights
musikbear wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:49 pm
Yes, lets start there
Lataest is 1,2,2 Is that your version
Where did you get it from?
What is your OS
please post your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms version, and the site where you got it from
* lmms sound device chosen is SDL -so that is fine
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... o_Settings
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
* Buffer-size Latency setting
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... l_Settings
open :
projects\demos\Greippi - Krem Kaakkuja (SecondFlight Remix).mmpz
-and export that with your current setup. It only utilize default content!
Does that export correctly, or as inconstant as your own project.
I would also like to examine your project.
Upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it. If you do not care about copyright, you can upload the project, and then post the link here

To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights
I have:

LMMS Ver. 1.2.2 (latest)
Retrieved from the Official LMMS website, lmms.io

8.00 GB RAM, Soundcard: Realtek High Definition Audio, and also Intel(R) Display Audio
{Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)}

Buffer size - Frames: 256, Latency: 5.8ms

Link to the project files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I also tried exporting the demo project you suggested. I've rendered it 5 times, and no errors had occurred. Huh.
Ryte wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:13 am
I have:
LMMS Ver. 1.2.2 (latest)
Retrieved from the Official LMMS website, lmms.io
8.00 GB RAM, Soundcard: Realtek High Definition Audio, and also Intel(R) Display Audio
{Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)}
Buffer size - Frames: 256, Latency: 5.8ms
That is all fine!
Link to the project files:
Thank you. I will examine it. (You do know that everybody can get your file right now -i hope?)
I also tried exporting the demo project you suggested. I've rendered it 5 times, and no errors had occurred.
That is good!
It clears your PC for any issue, and now we know that the fail is project-specific! That was exactly what i hoped for, and why i wanted you to test- export :)
Ryte wrote:
When exporting the entire music, a lot of the times the audio never really comes out right.
I have now tried several times to reproduce, but i cant.
The only part i do not have is your sample-track-file. Maybe that is what caused it?
Try and export with same settings, but without the sample-track.
Do you still get distortion
musikbear wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:45 pm
The only part i do not have is your sample-track-file. Maybe that is what caused it?
Actually the sample track placement is empty. I didn't actually use any samples or the sample feature, it was a placeholder. However, I removed the empty track anyway, and there's still distortion. The thing is, I've recognized the pattern and it's always the basslines or the timpani part of the music that gets distorted, nothing else.

I also went and exported the demo again once more, and there's no errors still.
I'm confused, there's no problem there but there is for my project? This also happened to some of my others ones, but not all of them.
Maybe it's a faulty FX. Or maybe my computer has some unknown problem or setting, as I don't know why you're not getting a distorted export.
Ryte wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:06 pm
musikbear wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:45 pm
Actually the sample track placement is empty. I didn't actually use any samples or the sample feature, it was a placeholder. However, I removed the empty track anyway, and there's still distortion. The thing is, I've recognized the pattern and it's always the basslines or the timpani part of the music that gets distorted, nothing else.

I also went and exported the demo again once more, and there's no errors still.
I'm confused, there's no problem there but there is for my project? This also happened to some of my others ones, but not all of them.
Maybe it's a faulty FX. Or maybe my computer has some unknown problem or setting, as I don't know why you're not getting a distorted export.
I dont think its your PC, because you could export 'Krem' without any issue. No it is likely that your current SF is flawed. It came up on my screen a 'General-user', but is it the 'correct' one..?
You can try the General-user taht is linked to in the section here. Try to use that as default soundfont
If you are indeed already using that, then get rid of that copy, and fetch a new one. It could be something as simple as a flawed file
General-User: http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php
Sorry for the intrusion, I think to have a similar problem with my track presenting some sound artifacts after being exported. I also tried to export the demo project Greippi - Krem Kaakkuja but at 2:33 I hear a small distortion which is absent when heard inside LMMS. The exporting settings are the default ones and I also tried exporting it 2 times with the same result. Is there a solution? It's really frustrating when the exported product presents artifacts inaudible while producing. I don't understand if it's a problem with LMMS or my PC.
Here's the exported demo: https://filetransfer.io/data-package/5ENHwGSA#link