Tough lesson in saving

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I was having some an annoying issue after saving a project (put 2 hours of mastering into it).
I'm running LMMS 1.2.2 on Windows 11 with a 2.6 Ghz processor.

I hit Ctr+S (save) followed by Alt+F4 (close) and I think I did it too quickly (i.e the project didn't fully save in time) because LMMS froze and I had to close it from task manager.

I tried reopening the project again and it freezes at 89%.

I then ran the bak file of that project and same thing, freezes at 89%.

Finally, I tried 'restore previous versions' on the LMMS projects folder and I successfully recovered the project (from the day before).

My advice to others... Make sure you save, wait 3 or 5 seconds and then close. Also, hit Ctr+S throughout your progress. If you spent hours on something without saving and LMMS crashes you could lose all your work (though I love that LMMS creates an temporary backup file when this happens).

I guess this leaves me with the question - is there a way to recover a corrupted save? Thanks guys. :-)
That was a sad story indeed. LMMS has a save-message that must be allowed to show, before the program is terminated. The message says : "Your project <project> is now saved", and it is displayed in low left corner. It is important that this messages is seen before LMMS is shut down

LMMS has the two safeguards against data-loss that you already attempted to use. Since the backup was corrupted as well it seams that you also did overwrite the BAK-file.
The third option to avoid data-loss is not often used, we almost never get any question about what version-control is.
But version-control -"File| Save-as-new-version" is a very powerful feature, that let you create a sequence of your work, so you have multiple files each with all content up to the timeslot where you made the safe-point. That gives you the best option for recovery! Programmers are apt to routinely use version-control. The down-side is that it takes file-size in disk-space for every save-event.
razor0 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:56 pm

is there a way to recover a corrupted save?
Normally No. Some MMP-projects can occationally be manually restored, but if there are no file-termination code (eof) it can be impossible. We do try if asked : )
Corrupted MMPZ-projects can never be rescued. The file has no readable data.

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome razor0 !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480