How do I use "VST" instruments that come in .mse files

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
98 posts
Jinx wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:04 pm
I had already tried that after finding it in another post. Doesn't work.
Ok then its down to basics
Cant believe i havent asked you about that..
please post your:
* Name of your Operative System (Windows/ Linux/ Mac) And subtype (Home' 'Mint' '10.13' aso)
* lmms version, and the site where you got it from
* lmms sound device chosen
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... o_Settings
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
Don't worry, I can't believe I didn't post all of that in my initial post. :-) I'm pasting in my systems specs file, so there may be a bit of extra. But first, as indicated in my first post

LMMS 1.2.2 (from LMMS site)
Audio Device: SDL - Simple DirectMedia Layer
Actual VSTs work. I also got Keyzone Classic working with just its DLL (which apparently ignores the mse files or something), so I now have a Steinway Grand Piano that sounds much better, including C1 and below being in tune. I'm going hunting on Youtube sites that list the best VSTs and LV2 (never knew about those) with demos now.

Anyways, here's the snarf & barfed copy of my systems data:

Laptop: Lenovo L340 Gaming

KEY SPECIFICATIONS:

Processor: 9th Gen Intel Hexa-Core i7-9750H, 2.6GHz up to 4.5GHz,
12 MB Cache, 12 Threads
Display: 17.3 inch Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS WLED Display
Memory: 16GB DDR4
Storage: 1TB SSD
Graphics: Dedicated 4GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Communications: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) and Bluetooth 4.1
Keyboard: Backlit Keyboard
Audio: Dolby Audio - ELEFW328 NVIDIA High Definition Audio

So that's the rest. I chopped the system info off after Audio. Now back to hunting more VSTs that work. And finding out more about CARLA and LV2 plugins. Who knows what I'll find there. :-)

So let me know if any of that tells you anything about why all but one (so far) DLL + MSE so-called VST on the sites work.

Thanks
Jinx wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:49 pm
Actual VSTs work. I also got Keyzone Classic working with just its DLL (which apparently ignores the mse files or something), so I now have a Steinway Grand Piano that sounds much better, including C1 and below being in tune.
But MDA-piano do not work?!?! wt....😵
my systems data:
Everything is top notch
finding out more about CARLA and LV2 plugins
You are on Linux?
That is important, because now we need to add WINE to the soup.
Am I on Linux? I wish I was. No, I'm having to put up with M$ nonsense on Win 10. Are CARLA and LV2 only supported on Linux, then?
Jinx wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:52 pm
Am I on Linux? I wish I was. No, I'm having to put up with M$ nonsense on Win 10.
Then it does not make sense that MDA-piano fails!
Are CARLA and LV2 only supported on Linux, then?
Yes afaik, there may be som bridge SW but Carla is for linux

Your lmms is flawed.
You should de-install completely
Follow this guide, and make sure the current config-file is removed from its folder!
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=In ... w_versions
Install 1.2.2! Not alpha
Ok, I did all of that... No change. What would load before still loads; what would not load before still doesn't load. Except that I had to completely re-do the entire setup for my testing project (kind of testing, kind of working), as it vanished,and the backup copy (I backed up, and after the re-install recovered from the projects directory) didn't work.

I give up. I haven't even started moving older VSTs (some of which worked, some didn't) from the default
C:/Program\ Files/Vstplugins to my C:/VSTplugins (yes, obviously changed in settings at the time). I'm adding instruments mostly as I need them for whatever I'm working on (and right now, piano and harpsichord are the two important ones, but as I already know I'll be doing composition for full orchestra later, I'm trying to find all of those, too.

Oh, and surprise, I even found a DSK instrument (can't remember which one now) that didn't work. Now that I say that, I remember from before that there were one or more DSK VSTs (DLL only, no actual instrument files) that didn't work back about a year ago (or whenever LMMS upgraded to 1.2.2, if it was less than a year ago).

Thanks, everyone. When the next version comes out, I'll try this stuff again. Until then, like I said, I give up (and that's something I just don't do, btw, so you can imagine how tired I am of working on this stuff).

Now another question: I remember A site where I have to be the one to mark a question as solved. Is this that site? (yes or no will suffice). Thanks
Jinx wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 pm
still doesn't load.
😳
had to completely re-do the entire setup for my testing project as it vanished, backup copy didn't work.

There is something wrong on your system.
I give up.
Sorry to hear that.
Now another question: I remember A site where I have to be the one to mark a question as solved. Is this that site? (yes or no will suffice). Thanks
No, and its not solved.

What i really would like to see, is a short video of what you do when you try to use MDA-piano, because its works out-of-the-box, on windows ..so far

If you have a screen recorder would you do that?
On a site note about Carla, there is as far as I understand it, also Carla for Windows, but it does not have all the same features as the Linux version. Vst might work better though, since most are Windows files.
You can´t use Linux synth, like Amsynth on windows, not with Carla either.

https://kx.studio/Applications:Carla

Linux 32bit (requires Qt 5.9 or higher)
Linux 64bit (requires Qt 5.9 or higher)
MacOS compatible build (requires macOS 10.8 or higher)
MacOS universal build (requires macOS 10.12 or higher)
Windows 32bit
Windows 64bit

I know it works on Linux in LMMS.
I never tested it on Windows, so I do not know if LMMS on windows sees Carla.
As requested, here's the video (https://youtu.be/r9mN2YzC1tk ). In it, I used the slower select and then Load button instead of double-clicking on mda-piano.dll, which is how I'd normally do it. But the results are the same, either way. No VST plugin is loaded. And I show that I'm using the link provided here (by you, I think, didn't check...just used the link).

Oh, and $VSTdir points to C:/VSTplugins (same results in the original directory, too, but I hate using M$ directories with spaces...just a big PITA, and I did NOT want that in c:/jim or c:jim/lmms because then I'd be backing that stuff up with my home directory (projects are in there and backed up).
Jinx wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:12 pm
As requested, here's the video ( ). In it, I used the slower select and then Load button instead of double-clicking on mda-piano.dll, which is how I'd normally do it. But the results are the same, either way. No VST plugin is loaded. And I show that I'm using the link provided here (by you, I think, didn't check...just used the link).

Oh, and $VSTdir points to C:/VSTplugins (same results in the original directory, too, but I hate using M$ directories with spaces...just a big PITA, and I did NOT want that in c:/jim or c:jim/lmms because then I'd be backing that stuff up with my home directory (projects are in there and backed up).
there are a direct mistake, so i am optimistic ;p , but There are also some things i do not understand, and
The mistake: Its the wrong VST ! :p
You try to use MDA Epiano
The one you should have tried is MDA piano
The one i enhanced with yellow in the picture
Try That
But then i am lost -What is the thing you use (lowest part of image)?!
You are supposed to
* dl the zip-file
* rightclick the zip-file
* choose unpack with windows-zip
* Move or copy the DLL into the folder \Samples/VST_instruments
Open LMMS. load a VST from sidebar, and browse to the DLL in \Samples/VST_instruments
What is that grey box?! Zth -And what are you adding to your defined win-path ?
98 posts