How do I use "VST" instruments that come in .mse files

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
98 posts
So MDA piano was never working.

That is already strange, and lets try to find out why.

If its your virus scanner, you should be able to see in the logs of the scanner if it stopped something.

You could also disable it, uninstall and reinstall LMMS, and maybe disconnect from the net while the virus scanner is off if that makes you nervous.

Another idea, User Account Control , how is that set ?
>Here's a thought (that might be a useless one, I'll admit). There is a
samples directory under lmms's main directory (c:/jim/lmms). As samples,
could it be that the MSEs, which are samples, belong there, instead?
No, they belong inside the instruments folder, which in turn belongs along with the VST. You have done the correct thing in terms of file structure.
Again, I suggest downloading and unzipping another version of LMMS and see how it works. If it still doesn't work, we can be sure it's not an LMMS issue. I have described the method a few posts higher.
Also, some of us don't have english as a first language here, so the more information you send, it is slightly hard for us to keep the entire message in mind and construct a valid reply that responds to each point.
Requesting you to keep that in mind so it is easier for us to help. Thanks!
I have already re-installed 1.2.2, no change...MSE files didn't work before or after. If you want me to test a different version, which one? Not installing daily alpha versions...normally too unstable.
I myself use 1.2.0, but given you've reinstalled with no difference, clearly LMMS isn't the problem.
To confirm, our problem is that when you try opening the DLL, the instruments don't load, right?
And this seems to happen each time a VST has MSE instruments, opening the DLL loads no instruments?
Does the GUI of the VST plugin load, though? Or does nothing load at all and it says 'no instruments'?
Yes, when the VST plugins load, their GUI loads with them. No problems with VSTs, just MSEs.
So the VST loads, but its instruments don't (Your reply implies you might've tried loading the MSEs with the VST plugin host, but I doubt you did that).
Okay. How willing are you to screen record yourself trying to run the VST so we can see how different something is from when we try to run the VST? I doubt there'll be a difference, but it might be worth looking at, just in case.
Jinx wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:40 am
Yes, when the VST plugins load, their GUI loads with them. No problems with VSTs, just MSEs.
oki -VSTs does work..
The VST Sonatina-orchester uses MSE-files as library-files.
These MSE-files can have flaws -Just as some sound-fonts can, it could be the reason but Firstly we ned to make sure you have installed sonatina correctly!
You should have
c:/jim/lmms/Samples/VST_Instrument
But maby you dont, and thats ok as well. Confusing, but ..ok
Inside that or your VST-instument-folder folder, sonatina installs like this:
c:/jim/lmms/Samples/VST_Instrument\Sonatina_Orchestra_Module_-_64
Inside that folder, you should see
* the dll : Sonatina Orchestra.dll
* A folder for instruments: Sonatina Orchestra.instruments
When we open this folder we have all the MSE-files. Those are library-files in MSE format, that is used by the dll.
Do you have this path and folder structure?
Do you have a MSE-file named z - Sonatina Piano.mse
That is the basal file in Sonatina! It is 59 MB!
It works for me:

Sonatina is odd!
The violin only cover 2 octaves, so it appear to be not working unless you press a key inside C5..C7! Only inside that span it will create sound..
For Sonatina orchestra: yes, when I was trying to work with it, I had the same path (only at the time, it was in the original default VSTplugins directory under C:/program files/VSTplugins. And no, personally, I don't consider it confusing, but then, I have a strong background in music, instruments, effects filters (fusion jazz, for example, I've heard an electric trumpet with a phase shifter, octave divider---takes the note you're playing and adds one octave up and own octave down, and a wah way peddle---same as using a plunger mute only electronic) and a tenor sax with the same---this was in The Brecker Brothers / Sponge and also used in their Some Skunk Funk). Also quite familiar with symphonic instruments. So effects vs instruments for me is just second nature.

But yes, aside from the top-level path, my setup for Sonatina orchestra was the same as you describe. No Instruments Found shown in VeSTige after I tried to load the DLL.
Just FWIW, if anyone is interested, the two jazz fusion charts I referred to, The Brecker Brothers Sponge and Some Skunk Funk are on Youtube at, respectively, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imeo0pXhuXQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePPKGxqOf8. The electric trumpet solos in Sponge use electronics as follows: phase shifter, phase shifter + octave divider, and phase shifter + octave divider and wah wah pedal for the last two. If you look carefully in Some Skunk Funk, you can see the pickup right behind the mouthpiece on the trumpet. Again, just FWIW. :-)

Oh, and "fusion jazz is a combination of jazz and rock, with elements of the best of each" (exact quote from my jazz lab band instructor in HS, who got as far as the then NTSU 2:00 Jazz Lab Band).
By any chance are there any other folders containing instrument information and named "Instruments" in your VST folder? This is unlikely, but it is a possible cause of this error. Another folder named "Instruments" would either rename Sonatina's instruments folder to "Instruments (1)" or merge both folders' files into one folder called "Instruments," both of which are unwanted possibilities.
98 posts