How do I use "VST" instruments that come in .mse files

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
98 posts
I'm finding a LOT of sites with free VSTs where the VSTs are actually MSE files. When I download those, and put them in my VST plugins directory (C:/VSTdir ... note that the same was true in "Program Files/VSTplugins), I go through the usual process, opening VeSTige and loading the .dll file. Except nothing loads. In other cases, the only thing these "VSTs" have is the .dll ... no instruments directory. Same result, regardless.

So how DO you load these MSE VSTs? It seems to be getting harder and harder to find free VSTs that are .vst files that will load, and there are so many of these .mse things out there that I want to try. For example, I'm using DSK The Grand for my midi keyboard (M-Audio HAMMER 88), but either C1 is below the range of my ability to hear "in tune", "sharp", or "flat" or C1 is severely flat (over a whole tone). D-flat 1 is in tune (comparing it with D2-flat). But C1 is so flat I don't even NEED to compare it to anything (and it's so flat that it hurts my ears, too). FWiW, I just checked, and C1 and the remaining keys before it are all badly flat. But starting one semitone above C1, D-flat, it's all in tune from there up. Point is, I've found several other grand piano VSTs, but their all that .mse stuff that I can't get to load. Is there some plugin that makes those load that I'm missing? Perhaps a newer release of LMMS than 1.2.2 that enables those?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

System:
LMMS 1.2.2
Lenovo IdeaPad L340 Gaming (and gamedev, for me) laptop
Jinx wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:03 pm
I'm finding a LOT of sites with free VSTs where the VSTs are actually MSE files.
Those are source-files for Maize Sampler or Maize Studio projects.
You need Maize Studio in order to be able to build the actual VST. However Maize build VST, does not (always) work in LMMS!
Your best option is to find the actual compiled VST, and not the source-file
When sites describe those files as VSTs, and VSTs are also described as VSTs, how do you know which you're about to download? Or am I just missing subtle bits of information (subtle to me, at least, because to me, if it says VST, I assume it's VST and not some other format (serious question, I'm relatively new to all of this, and I think there might be some hints in the text. For example, I downloaded the "Free VSCO2 Chamber Orchestra VST Version 2" from the link in the text at https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicM ... _version_2, which goes to http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/2 ... mpler.html. From there, I downloaded the M$ Win64 version. This VST pack has no VST files in it ... all MSEs. This, starting from the Free VSC02 Chamber Orchestra VST Version 2 page on Reddit.

See my confusion? I've been running into VSTs that didn't play anything since I started with LMMS. Now at least I know that those that didn't work weren't VSTs at all (despite the fact that the site they came from at least appeared (to me, the now highly confused guy) that they were VST.

So what kinds of things do I look for to get real VSTs, not these other "VST" packs that don't contain any actual VSTs? Feel free to word it for someone who is totally clueless on this issue, because that's me. (not normally ... just in this case)
As an example, I found a great site on the wiki, Tested VSTs. I downloaded Sonatina Orchestra Module from the link on the site. There are no VST files in that VST archive. It's all MSE. I tested it anyways, since it was tested with LMMS. No such luck. Doesn't work.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What's a good site where all of the VSTs they list actually contain VSTs? Anyone know of any? I know it's not VST4Free, because that's where the above Sonatina Orchestra Module is now.

Thanks
Jinx wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:52 pm
As an example, I found a great site on the wiki, Tested VSTs. I downloaded Sonatina Orchestra Module
That one is tricky. I have worked on it as a bug-squash issue, and made a video on the process:

Bottom line -Some libs for Sonatina Orchestra Module DO work, some does not.
Is there no actual VST in that 670 MB DL? A DLL-file?
https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2541/
If so that link is only to a collection of libraries, that is meant to be used with Sonatina Orchestra Module
My dll is named Sonatina Orchestra.dll and is 3.9MB
I dropped it here:
https://1fichier.com/?w4ov1x2qt0e4n8uwryq3
Result: VeSTige says: No VST-plugin loaded
Jinx wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:34 pm
Result: VeSTige says: No VST-plugin loaded
Ehhh he says no No VST-plugin loaded if you open the VST with the green-folder?!?
What happens if you drag the VST-DLL into song-editor?
Nothing. I tried both loading the dll from VeSTige and from the file manager. Nothing either way.
Jinx wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:22 pm
Nothing. I tried both loading the dll from VeSTige and from the file manager. Nothing either way.
right........
Let try your VST readiness..
try MDA-Piano http://mda.smartelectronix.com/synths.htm
It is very small in size, and you can just copy its dll to your VST-folder. Further its a quite good piano-instrument, so it is a win win
Lets know the outcome :)
I had already tried that after finding it in another post. Doesn't work.
98 posts