Crash when saving with reaEQ under specific circumstances

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I was playing while looking at a spectrum analyser and EQing with an external EQ VST. LMMS crashes suddenly. I try saving it again after making the changes, and it crashes again.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L1iz5U ... sp=sharing
1.2.0, win10, 64 bit. The equaliser VST is reaEQ, downloaded from reaplugs.

Also, each time I try to save, it crashes and doesn't save- not even a recovery file.
Edit: even 1.3 alpha crashes

I looked into it. The crash happens when reaEQ has 8 bands, and saving with 7 bands gives no issue, but once I add an 8th one and try saving it crashes.

I also added a band on reaEQ on another instrument that had only 4 bands, and also got a crash. But it saved a recovery this time.
Monospace wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:05 am
I was playing while looking at a spectrum analyser and EQing with an external EQ VST. LMMS crashes suddenly. I try saving it again after making the changes, and it crashes again.

1.2.0, win10, 64 bit. The equaliser VST is reaEQ, downloaded from reaplugs.

Also, each time I try to save, it crashes and doesn't save- not even a recovery file.
Edit: even 1.3 alpha crashes

I looked into it. The crash happens when reaEQ has 8 bands, and saving with 7 bands gives no issue, but once I add an 8th one and try saving it crashes.
Excellent dissection👍
You found a bug! Thank you.
I also added a band on reaEQ on another instrument that had only 4 bands, and also got a crash. But it saved a recovery this time.
recovery time is under your control!
You decides how many minutes you want between autosave
Go to
Edit| Settings| Performance| Autosave
Use the slider to set a functional time-slot for LMMS to create a new security-copy
fyi, Mine is at 9 min
>recovery time is under your control!
I understand. i've set my slider to two minutes because of my tendency to make changes major enough to require a 2 minute interval, and how i often make projects so bad so fast recovery is a godsend.
>You found a bug! Thank you.
i am not sure if this happens each time reaEQ has an 8th band added to it, or whether i just had too many bands, because i added a band to another instance of reaEQ on the same project (ie, reaEQ on a separate instrument), that had only 4 bands already, and got a crash.
So I can assume there is some sort of limit.
I had 9 instances of reaEQ running, each on a separate instrument. 44 bands total, which is an arbitrary number.

I tried crashing it a few more times, so some background context is necessary. The default number of bands is 4 on reaEQ.
Adding a band to anything and saving crashed, so I added a NEW instrument and added reaEQ to that and saved. It didn't crash. So I added a 5th band and saved. Didn't crash. 6th band and save. Crash.
So this doesn't seem to have anything to do with 8 bands specifically, but is something slightly more general.

And it crashes when saving, whether or not it's playing doesn't seem to matter.

I'll try crashing it a few times and get back to you on behaviour.
Musikbear, I'm starting to see a pattern. Whenever the total number of bands across a project, over every instance of reaEQ, COMBINED, is a multiple of five, LMMS seems to crash. But this happens only sometimes and not otherwise. I do not think I can dissect it any further.
Edit: I managed to dissect it further. At one point, LMMS did not crash when total number of bands was multiple of five, and saved smoothly, BUT when I loaded the project the next time, reaEQ loaded as a separate window, see:
( https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1_yy ... sp=sharing )
However, this happened only for one instrument (I had reaEQ on two instruments). The other instance of reaEQ loaded normally.
Edit: it crashes on non multiples of five too. Mayday.