Using effect VSTs in LMMS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I have a vst named guitar rig6. It adds effects but I can't use it in the effects tab when I have it in my vsts folder.
How can I use it?
MFab wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:14 pm
I have a vst named guitar rig6. It adds effects but I can't use it in the effects tab when I have it in my vsts folder.
How can I use it?
Firstly, if you do not use LMMS2.2 i strongly recommend you to upgrade1 2.2 supports effect best!
OBS! In order to work in LMMS Your effect must be VST2!
Unpack the zip, and copy the files to a new folder in the folder you have defined as VST-plugins folder in Edit|Settings| directories.
The effect will then appear in the list of FX-plugins.

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome MFab !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
I don't think the vst is a vst2. Is there a way to convert a vst to a vst2?
MFab wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:40 am
I don't think the vst is a vst2. Is there a way to convert a vst to a vst2?
No, VST3 is a different tech, but you can on experimental level install the nightly build of LMMS1.3, witch support VST3, or you can find a similar VST in VST2-version.
Conversion is not possible.
MFab: if the file is a .dll format, it is VST2 and can be used. If it's a .vst3 format it can't be used.
You can use a VST3 anyways: downloading software like jbridge (paid) or Element Kushview (free, but slightly confusing: if you do download it, feel free to ask for help), or alternatively use vstshell (it's somewhere on the net) to bridge your VST3s.
And musikbear... 1.3 supports VST3? How come I never heard of this? Brilliant!
The file is a .dll, but it doesn't work when I put it into my vsts folder :cry: . What can I do?
Monospace wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:48 am
And musikbear... 1.3 supports VST3? How come I never heard of this? Brilliant!
Lvl2 should be ok in nightly, but 'issues' can never be excluded. I must admit that i have not tried any lvl2, so my claim is more like: "I was told, that lvl2 is now working in nightly" :D
But we never knows if all nightly-features will make it into next official, because conflicts could always appear. but lets be optimistic about it :)
MFab wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:22 am
The file is a .dll, but it doesn't work when I put it into my vsts folder :cry: . What can I do?
"Your VST-effects-folder" is the one i told you above
Edit|Settings| directories| VST-plugins
If you already have copied the dll-file AND additional files in the zip-file (could be needed for UI , or banks), then it could be, that the VST is a VST3, and that wont work in 1.2.2.
If you are uncertain about your installation, then take a screenshot like this one:
You see the directory VST-plugins as number 4 on this picture.
Hmm... musikbear. the 1.3 nightly I have doesn't appear to support VST3s? And i don't have any LV2s to check with, but I'll look into it. I believe, however, that it should work.
Monospace wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:16 pm
Hmm... musikbear. the 1.3 nightly I have doesn't appear to support VST3s? And i don't have any LV2s to check with, but I'll look into it. I believe, however, that it should work.
Autch.. Then it seams that "what i was told2 is vapour-ware. That is sad, however as long as no feature-freeze for next release has happened, there is hope