HELP! Can I ever play my songs again?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi there! (Newbie, just joined the forum, and only downloaded LMMS a wee ago.) :)
I saved a few tunes I came up with and just assigned them random names, thinking I could rename them later once I finished the projects....well, I tried in vain to rename them to no avail. Then today I saved a short beat and noticed I could rename the other things while the save folder was open. I renamed them, and now it says I'm not authorized to use them again in LMMS! So I can't play them in LMMS! Can I ever get them back? How? :cry: I don't even get the error message anymore, I just click on the renamed songs (yes I've refreshed multiple times) and they just won't save. It only happened to the ones I renamed. They also don't show up when I save a new project. HELP! I spent 2 hours on my first song, and really don't want to lose it!! :cry: :cry: :cry: They are still there, I just can't play them. :(
Are you on Linux ? If so which distro ?

Sounds like a rights issue to me.
How did you install LMMS ?
please post your:
* OS (+service-pack-ver)
* lmms vers
* if any -screenshots of error
* if relevant, demo mmp
I installed it through the LMMS download (64bit) from the LMMS website.
Distro?

It isn't a rights issue....it seems like to me it's some what like when you change a doc. in word sometimes they won't let you rename it for a while or move it because you aren't "authorized" ....I read it's a supposed flaw in the program or something... ? (This has no relevance to the problem being discussed, just an example, ignore this! :P )

Anyway, it is my song I created a couple days ago, and only since I renamed it in my File explorer, it has told me I'm not authorized to play it in LMMS. Now it doesn't even show a error message because it won't even let me click on it.

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like: (I color coded some stuff to make it easier to explain. So your looking at the left panel thingy. The red is for the songs I renamed the blue is for what they used to be named (You know how there is the song link you click on to play the song, and then there is extra files to back up the song or something.... I don't know what extra thing does (mmpz.bak) but the those things didn't change the name when I renamed the songs. Like "beat twist" I renamed "My First Song" and see how it's a white block and not the LMMS symbol? The circled green part is the latest beat I've done "4part beat" and I can play that one (as you can see it has the LMMS symbol) That's the only one I didn't rename so it didn't get effected.) The songs with white blocks, I can click on all I want but it won't play, it won't do anything. :(
The screenshot shows the version.
Did you overwrite the extension, when you renamed the files ?
That's it, you've lost the .mmp or.mmpz file extensions when you renamed the files. And it's those extensions that tell the program that it's a real LMMS project file...without them it won't even try to open a file. Just rename them properly and you should be o.k.

Steve
Gps wrote:Did you overwrite the extension, when you renamed the files ?
? What ? :o
slipstick wrote:That's it, you've lost the .mmp or.mmpz file extensions when you renamed the files. And it's those extensions that tell the program that it's a real LMMS project file...without them it won't even try to open a file. Just rename them properly and you should be o.k.

Steve
......that's the thing. I can't rename them! :/ When I click to save something else to open them in the file explorer they aren't there. It only shows the one song I didn't rename (the one I circled green). The other songs I renamed and won't play are only in LMMS, I can't play them but they only show up there. If I go to my file explorer and into my projects folder none of my songs are there....so I'm not sure how to get to my songs other than through LMMS or saving a new song. (Because the show up there).
Files on computers have extensions.

Example: lmms.exe or youresong.mmpz

When you rename a file on windows through the filebrowser, you need to be careful, not to change the part behind the dot.
For lmms files, (songs) its either .mmpz or .mmp

If you cant find teh files use teh searh function and let windows search for you. Maybe they are in a different directory.
Only search for the part before the dot. my first beat for example. Make sure you write it the same as it is listed in lmms.

Then if there is no extension, rename the file so it will again have the .mmpz part.
LMMS4Life wrote:......that's the thing. I can't rename them! :/ When I click to save something else to open them in the file explorer they aren't there. It only shows the one song I didn't rename (the one I circled green). The other songs I renamed and won't play are only in LMMS, I can't play them but they only show up there. If I go to my file explorer and into my projects folder none of my songs are there....so I'm not sure how to get to my songs other than through LMMS or saving a new song. (Because the show up there).
When you click to save something you're still in LMMS and it only shows project files. That's why the dodgy ones don't show up, because you've lost the extension that makes them project files.

You need to use the standard "Windows Explorer" not anything inside LMMS and you may need to set it to show you the file extensions which isn't it's default. I'd tell you how to get to it but you still haven't said what operating system you're using and it's different on Win 7 and Win 8/8.1.

Steve
slipstick wrote:
LMMS4Life wrote:......that's the thing. I can't rename them! :/ When I click to save something else to open them in the file explorer they aren't there. It only shows the one song I didn't rename (the one I circled green). The other songs I renamed and won't play are only in LMMS, I can't play them but they only show up there. If I go to my file explorer and into my projects folder none of my songs are there....so I'm not sure how to get to my songs other than through LMMS or saving a new song. (Because the show up there).
When you click to save something you're still in LMMS and it only shows project files. That's why the dodgy ones don't show up, because you've lost the extension that makes them project files.

You need to use the standard "Windows Explorer" not anything inside LMMS and you may need to set it to show you the file extensions which isn't it's default. I'd tell you how to get to it but you still haven't said what operating system you're using and it's different on Win 7 and Win 8/8.1.

Steve
It says windows 8 on the back of my computer...how do I know if it is 8 or 8.1?