Vibrato: how to *RESOLVED*

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
So I've worked through some online tutorial sets and was enthusiastically practicing my LMMS skills by recreating video game tunes when I realized that pitch is not an option for LFO, meaning no built-in vibrato. I found TAP vibrato, but was dismayed to find that it doesn't let you delay vibrato per-note; a very common instrumentation technique, I would say. Well, after searching in vain for a bit, I started drawing out an automation to add per-note delay to the Tap Vibrato. Then I realized that Tap Vibrato adds a noticeable delay in the instrument, making it feel sluggish and a loose. As soon as I turn Tap Vibrato off, the instrument becomes snappy as one would expect. I looked online and this seems to be a known issue that does not currently have a solution.

So, am I right that LMMS does not have a decent vibrato functionality? This seems silly, but I've found nothing to make me believe otherwise. I really want to like and use LMMS, but without any reasonable solution to add vibrato to instruments... Surely I am missing something?
Connect LFO to pitch and automate LFO per note. but otherwise, no decent vibrato function, correct.
First off, Welcome to the Forum violgamba !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
violgamba wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:19 pm
So I've worked through some online tutorial sets and was enthusiastically practicing my LMMS skills by recreating video game tunes when I realized that pitch is not an option for LFO, meaning no built-in vibrato.
Cyclic variations in pitch, would never sound as vibrato, it would sound like a siren, so its not that way you make vibrato.
So, am I right that LMMS does not have a decent vibrato functionality?
No, LMMS has vibrato feature for all instruments
Just as Monospace says you use the LFO!
But there is no pr-note vibrato, all notes played with that instrument will have the same vibrato pr default, but we can change that :)
It is a bit complicated to explain in text, so i will make a video
Look for that tomorrow.
Oh! I completely forgot that I had tried LFO controllers (attached to the pitch) before moving on to Tap Vibrato. At that point I was still thinking I could find a solution that would auto-delay the vibrato for each note, so I discounted LFO controllers. After realizing that I could draw out per-note vibrato delay with an Automation Track (for Tap Vibrato) I had forgotten about LFO controllers.

So, @Monospace, your solution does the trick! Thank you very much!

@musikbear: Thank you for welcoming me to this forum! Also, thanks for the confirmation on adding vibrato with LFO controller! It's working quite well, especially coupled with an automation track. There are a few things in your reply that I wanted to address:
"pr-note vibrato, all notes played with that instrument will have the same vibrato pr default" To be sure I'm being clear, I was hoping for a delayed vibrato like the melody instrument at the start of this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTeUdtilREo.
"Cyclic variations in pitch, would never sound as vibrato" I must be misunderstanding you here. Cycles in pitch are the solution that both @Monospace and you presented (using the LFO controller).

Of course, what would be ideal would be if the instrument's built-in LFO system could control pitch (in the way it can currently control volume, cutoff and reso) since that LFO system has great per-note support, including the auto-delay.
violgamba wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:34 pm
adding vibrato with LFO controller! It's working quite well, especially coupled with an automation track.
"pr-note vibrato, all notes played with that instrument will have the same vibrato pr default"
I was hoping for a delayed vibrato like the melody instrument at the start of this song
It is possible with automation where you have a AMT-plateau of 0, and then softly increase AMT.
Its important that you do not abruptly add AMT, because LMMS cant handle that 👎 You will get a 'pop'! What surprised me was, that this pop is quite unpredictable. some notes makes significantly more pop, than others. That could be a phase ting..

"Cyclic variations in pitch, would never sound as vibrato" I must be misunderstanding you here.
Nooo its me being wrong, i was thinking about tremolo, and Leslie. You are right 👍
Of course, what would be ideal would be if the instrument's built-in LFO system could control pitch (in the way it can currently control volume, cutoff and reso) since that LFO system has great per-note support, including the auto-delay.
Yes! That is unfortunately not implemented! It also creates a serious artefact, in the position where it goes from delayed into effect: Huge pop 🤨!
That is something we need to fix!
Thank you musikbear! I've adjusted the tite to indicate that this is resolved.