HELP! Can I ever play my songs again?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Doesn't matter. From the start screen find the "Desktop" tile and click it. In the taskbar at the bottom of the screen is an icon for "Windows Explorer". Open that then find your LMMS folder and inside that the projects folder. The files you need are in there. Rename "My First Song" to "My First Song.mmpz" and LMMS should be able to find it again.

Steve
Windows Explorer? Do you mean File Explorer?
This?

I found my LMMS file [where I sent it to in my Windows (C:)] And when I go into projects, none of my songs are there at all. :(
Oh! I found the error message again! By going to Project--the thing I circled in red (Not the project folder) then Recently opened Projects I was able to click on it and it showed the error message again. Here it is:
(The blackened out part is my name which I wish to remain anonymous.)
The error message is because when you last opened that project file it was called beat twist.mmpz and LMMS can't open that file...because you changed its name so the original doesn't exist any more.

Yes File Explorer is the program (I forgot they'd changed the name again in Win8). But if you really can't see any of your files in the C:/users/(yourname)/lmms/projects folder then I have no idea what you've done with them.

Steve
everything Slipstick has told you, is dead on the target, and should have taken care of this by now.
Computers are 'weird' -sometimes something happens, that should not, and cant be explained
However i do NOT think this is one of those situations
The problem is that you are a computer-user, not a computer-knowledgeable-user (i hope you do not take offense, in me saying so. :)
Using any file-browser, should be in every pc-owners armory :). You will get much more enjoyment if you read some beginner tutorials for your operative system.
The reason you have these problems are most likely, that you do not have enabled 'full-name-display' of files. You do not see the extension, do you?
Please make a screenshot of the File Explorer, displaying the library where you have your projects.
And do not worry, i am next to certain -your files are not lost :)
Unless you have explicatively deleted them.
slipstick wrote:But if you really can't see any of your files in the C:/users/(yourname)/lmms/projects folder then I have no idea what you've done with them.

Steve
I know! That's why I'm so confuzzled! :/
musikbear wrote: The problem is that you are a computer-user, not a computer-knowledgeable-user (i hope you do not take offense, in me saying so. :)
No, definitely no offense there! :lol: (The sad part is, I'm the second best computer person in my entire family!)
musikbear wrote: Using any file-browser, should be in every pc-owners armory :).
I searched in my LMMS file for beat twist and some other stuff that didn't come up. I don't think anything I make shows up there...I have no clue where it goes! :(
musikbear wrote:The reason you have these problems are most likely, that you do not have enabled 'full-name-display' of files. You do not see the extension, do you?
Extensions? (Sorry dumb computer person asking, bear with me! ;P )

When I save songs in LMMS it has two files, one that plays the song and another file (mmpz or something) that I'm not sure what it does...but I don't delete it or anything.
musikbear wrote: Please make a screenshot of the File Explorer, displaying the library where you have your projects.
And do not worry, i am next to certain -your files are not lost :)
Unless you have explicatively deleted them.
Okay screenshots coming right up!
So when I open my File Explorer this I how I get to it:
I click on "Windows (C:)", then open my "Software" folder that I made to put the stuff I download/install, then I open my "LMMS" folder I created to put all my LMMS stuff in when I installed it to my computer, then I go to the "data" folder, then the "projects" folder and it should be there right at the bottom! :( But it isn't.
The last three folder steps I included as screenshots:
(Look at the red circled thing to keep track of the files being opened for each screenshot in order)
Oh dear, didn't you bother reading what you just quoted ? Try looking where I actually suggested....in C:/Users/(yourname)/lmms/projects where (yourname) is whatever you blacked out in your screenshot of the error.

Your screenshots are of where LMMS keeps its OWN projects, not where USER projects are stored. If you look in LMMS under Edit/Settings, click on the folder picture then the first Path (LMMS working directory) is where YOUR projects, samples etc are stored. That's a much more useful place to look.

Steve
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename_extension
A filename extension is an identifier specified as a suffix to the name by syntax, often separated from the base filename (by, e.g., a dot), that indicates, e.g., the encoding (file format), the usage, of a computer file. Examples of filename extensions are .png, .jpeg, .exe, .dmg, and .txt.

And for LMMS .mmpz or .mmp
slipstick wrote: C:/Users/(yourname)/lmms/projects where (yourname) is whatever you blacked out in your screenshot of the error.
Steve
Yes thats the default one :) and the folder we need to see, BUT!! NOT the folder!!
We need to see a screenshot of the files IN this folder :)
And it will help if you press "Type" once, so that all the files are sorted by type, with no-type-files on top

The place where you have your projects is defined in your LMMS-settings as 'working directory'
Here:
You can see the image from the wiki, where the files are saved, and you can look this up in your own settings.

here is a guide on win8.1
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/computers ... s-8-1.html

Perhaps someone else know something better ?