What would cause CPU spikes?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I took out all the VSTs except Synth 1, restarted the program several times, still getting CPU spikes. Song is stuttering, finally stopping. Using W7 laptop, 32- bit version in my 64-bit system since I have 32-bit VSTs, if that makes any difference.
This is probably pretty obvious, but make sure to close other applications running in the background that might hog CPU power. Take a look at your processes in task manager; it can be an enlightening experience.
I've always been a little unclear about which of the many processes in msconfig are actually essential. Most of them are from Microsoft and I left all those alone, along with the ones from Intel. I did notice a Java updater running, and I shut that one off from running from the Start processes.
Here's an update: I had Ambience VST as the reverb in the master channel, and removing it seems to have fixed the issue. I figured it was a VST after I opened a tutorial project and it played no problem. Guess I'll just use a lapsda reverb.
Well, I figured, since the song was pretty well along I'd go ahead and post a link and invite feedback. I'll post it in the correct forum, and I hope everyone enjoys.
nice to know that you fixed your issue.
I just want to mention two of the known reasons for cpu-spikes, and maby also explain why you have cpu-spikes from your reverb-vst:

Spikes caused by lmms:
Auto-save.
It is optional and selected in the setup. Default is disabled!
If you have chosen to enable Auto-save, you will see CPU-spikes, every time an autosave takes place. The severeness of the spike depends on your system-specs, ofcause.

Inserts with timed actions.
This includes reverb, delay and echo.
Surprisingly the most cpu is used when you as a human cant hear the effect, but it still takes place.
You can have reverbs that are totally subsonic, and those can actually be serious harmful for your hearing!
One way to detect these events, are that lmms has huge cpu spikes, and that the visualization display an almost horizontal line, that may move very slowly, or even be in a fixed pos.
In that case cut sound immediately!

Reasons outside lmms
ICQ Messenger Skype and as like are the worst.
Secondary will facebook updates en mass also create 'spikes'
Hello sirs, appeared similar situation. Asked here, for not multiply subjs.
So, at playback one of composition, cpu was becomes in red, almost to end of bar, but it was acceptable - just some sounds not played, but not often. Then, i was engaged to little improve beat automation without add any effects or sounds, and at some point song playback has become not so nice - plays few second and silence, at stopped song cpu was yellow, in middle of bar. Then was removed some not used sounds and effects, and in stopped mode cpu become more green, almost in 1/4, but at playback nothing changed. There was one more strange thing - many repeated connections on automation tracks, looks like it arose not from beginnig because long not touched automation tracks was ok, so i remove excess connections whitch number sometimes reached 80, and looks like depended on number of edit. Nothing changed as mentioned - just silence after few second(if used pulseaudio, if use alsa or default media layer the sound is very snatch). At playback one or few selected tracks all the same, at off effects too. Another sign - when exactly this project is used and opened a new - loading 3-5 minutes, and when close from this project lmms hangs in the tray about the same time, although window is already closed, other projects closing normaly. Also, not begins export at wav, just dialog with 0%. All other apps are closed. Mainly used synth ZynAddSubfx.
That's all I can describe, perhaps someone has got and solved similar?
Karlos wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:12 pm
Hello sirs, appeared similar situation. Asked here, for not multiply subjs.
Fine
playback one of composition, cpu was becomes in red,
Ok, the important thing here is that all of these problem is with one specific project -right?
one more strange thing - many repeated connections on automation tracks, looks like it arose not from beginnig because long not touched automation tracks was ok, so i remove excess connections whitch number sometimes reached 80, and looks like depended on number of edit.
That is definitively wrong!
No automations should appear if you have not made them!
used pulseaudio, if use alsa or default media layer the sound is very snatch).
That is important! -Please post your OS and version of LMMS (1.2.0 is newest and only one recommended)
when exactly this project is used and opened a new - loading 3-5 minutes, and when close lmms hangs in the tray about the same time,
That indicates that LMMS is at load reading HUGE chunks of data, and at closing have to write HUGE chunks of data, both could be caused by the weird numbers of automation connections
other projects closing normaly.
Good!
Also, not begins export at wav, just dialog with 0%. All other apps are closed.
Again that indicate very large data-read
Mainly used synth ZynAddSubfx.
ZynAddSubfx is a super instrument, but it is huge in nature! How many instances of ZynAddSubfx do you have in the problem project?
What i would ask you to do now, is to use your file-browser to make a copy of the project-file. Dont load it into LMMS, just copy it in file-browser! I recommend that as a safety guard.
AFTER!!! you have done that, open the ORIGINAL project NOT THE COPY in LMMS and go to
File| Save-as|
Keep the filename, but add .MMP and click OK
That could take long time, and it could create a HUGE file, so i hope you have both time and diskspace enough :)
When all is done zip the file, upload it and send me the link in a PM
I also need to know your hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome Karlos !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

Ok, the important thing here is that all of these problem is with one specific project -right?
Yes, but other not so loaded for now.

No automations should appear if you have not made them!
It happend simiar thing, when copy automation track by Ctrl+drag, then sometimes (seldom) all connection on this automation line disappear, then maked new connection and those that were - appearing again, after new loading apparently.

That is important! -Please post your OS and version of LMMS (1.2.0 is newest and only one recommended)
openSUSE Leap 15.1 x64
Intel 3,00 GHz*2 & 8GB Ram only, but this project takes just 1,4 Gb in Ram
Soundcard: HDA Intel, AD1988B
LMMS 1.2.0-rc7

How many instances of ZynAddSubfx do you have in the problem project?
26 at now, and some of them in beateditor, think i can transfer if it affect.
Karlos wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:47 am
when copy automation track by Ctrl+drag, then sometimes (seldom) all connection on this automation line disappear

openSUSE Leap 15.1 x64
Intel 3,00 GHz*2 & 8GB Ram only, but this project takes just 1,4 Gb in Ram
Soundcard: HDA Intel, AD1988B
LMMS 1.2.0-rc7
Excellent -even though im not knowable in LINUX

How many instances of ZynAddSubfx do you have in the problem project?
26 at now, and some of them in beateditor, think i can transfer if it affect.
26 should be no problem at all, on your high-power system