File Recovery

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I spent a couple hours on this really neat song. In the song I used a sample from the PlayStation 2 startup and it took awhile to tune it perfectly to fit into the vibe of my song. Anyhow, I was making adjustments to the song today, looked up at the clock and realized I had somewhere to be. I foolishly shut down my computer while the application was running. I got back to my computer and seen that the file had been corrupt. The exact error message said something along the lines of "your file could not be opened, because there is an error in it". I couldn't figure out how to recover it, but I heard that it is definately possible. I don't want to go through the process of remaking my samples and everything, since I out a lot of time into it. Is there anyway I can recover the file? I will send the file, or give any more info if necessary. The file is in .mmpz format. Thank you for your time.
hi!
If you saved the project in the same file, overwriting it, LMMS should have created a second file ending in .mmpz.bak

You can delete the .bak part, and that should give you your last save!
I found the file ending in .bak, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the ".bak" part. Sorry, I'm bad with files.
Never mind I got it!!! I cannot thank you enough
SampowProductions wrote:I spent a couple hours on this really neat song.
And i can see that you are new in our forum, so

Welcome to the forum SampowProductions! Here, For you, all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
And a few rules for posting and using the right sub-forum :)

Lmms has two ways of recovery, the one DeRoby told you about, and one more.
You can read about it here:
viewtopic.php?t=5013
how do i rename the mmpz.bak file? im having the same problem
erikszk5 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:01 pm
how do i rename the mmpz.bak file? im having the same problem
Hi You too erikszk5 are welcome to our forum :)

Renaming files is not really a LMMS issue. That is exclusively depending on your OS.
In Windows you can point at the file with your mouse in file-explorer, right-click it and choose 'Rename', then simply remove the .bak
The mmpz.bak is a penultimate copy of your work! You will be able to load that file as any other LMMS-Project file

You can also choose to open the file with LMMS!
LMMS will open .bak files just as if it was a ordinary project
In Windows you can point at the file with your mouse in file-explorer, right-click it and choose "Open-with". Then you need to browse to LMMS in the list of installed programs. In case you do not use 'bak-files' for anything you can tick the 'always' checkbox, and your windows will then always open .bak files with LMMS
It wont let me open or rename the bak file on lmms? I also cannot find any of my songs in program files. Thanks for your time
erikszk5 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:00 am
It wont let me open or rename the bak file on lmms? I also cannot find any of my songs in program files. Thanks for your time
What OS do you use? Is it Windows10?
If you cant rename a file in Windows, its because you do not have rights. That depends on how strict the administrator has limited your account.
What is your OS?
is there any video tutorials on how to do this? i am not good with files and cant understand half the things youre saying haha.