lmms with linux on RasberryPie Infos & solutions

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 9 [bank=128 prog=0]

It's in fluidsynth and the message is pretty useless. I get it too. I'll look into ways to turn it off.
Debian are touted as being the most reliable Linux distro, but they achieve that by purposely selecting not quite bleeding edge versions of software to bundle with their distro - that of course has the ironic downside that bugs fixed in later versions of the software may still be in the older code that Debian uses for their stable release... :roll:
The single biggest problem in linux today.

I don't know about compiling from source on a Raspberry but that may be an option. Maybe try a Raspberry distro with newer packages. (Ubuntu based?)
zonkmachine wrote:fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 9 [bank=128 prog=0]

It's in fluidsynth and the message is pretty useless. I get it too. I'll look into ways to turn it off.
Debian are touted as being the most reliable Linux distro, but they achieve that by purposely selecting not quite bleeding edge versions of software to bundle with their distro - that of course has the ironic downside that bugs fixed in later versions of the software may still be in the older code that Debian uses for their stable release... :roll:
The single biggest problem in linux today.

I don't know about compiling from source on a Raspberry but that may be an option. Maybe try a Raspberry distro with newer packages. (Ubuntu based?)
I'll have a look to see if any other OS such as Ubuntu or openSUSE or Fedora has adopted Pixel desktop for their RPi builds (Pixel runs very very nicely on my RPi3). Running latest Ubuntu Mate desktop is very sluggish on my RPi2, so I can expect similar on my RPi3. I'm wary that building LMMS from source will require me to update much of my base Raspbian system libs, but I'll read into what is required and what pitfalls I might encounter. Am also looking into LXQT desktop and other lightweights, to see if more up to date distros have adopted for RPi2/2.

Cheers,
Chris, NZ.
Chrisblob wrote: I then found out about rpi.autostatic.com, ... but of all the dozens of Linux audio apps out there LMMS was about the only one they don't provide sadly... :o
Because they too can't stop it from crashing?

In order for us to check up on this further we need a backtrace
1. Compile LMMS from source with -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=DEBUG argument.
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki/Compiling-lmms
2. Just start lmms in the build directory with

Code: Select all

./lmms
and use it until it crashes with message core dropped.
You may have to tweak a setting or two in order for the OS to produce a core file.

3. type:

gdb ./lmms core
4. type

bt
5. copy and paste the result of the command bt here.
I found a very good solution with lubuntu: first do apt-get update && apt-get upgrade which needs an hour than install lmms. Works out of the box with midi support and its lmms 1.1.3.

Compared to mate this is a very fast system. Only anoying problem I still have is soundcloud and some other sites dont play sound or with disturbtion. Youtube works well and omxplayer. So for making music you should give it a try :)
Hi all, I've settled on a "solution" for getting LMMS going on my RPi3 - I installed Berryboot, then a FedBerry LXQt custom image I downloaded via http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/images/. The image is based on Fedora/Pidora 24 RC1 but with LXQt 0.11 desktop installed - LMMS was installed, 1.1.3 hasn't skipped a beat or bugged out even once despite torture testing over the last 24 hours... 8-)

I'm impressed with LXQt so far - it isn't as polished as Mate desktop, but it runs very smoothly on the RPi3, much smoother than Mate, and more tailorable and powerful than Openbox, LXDE, and other light DE's - that no doubt helps LMMS.

As for most of the distros who provide images for RPi - I'm disappointed in their out of box code - only Raspbian, Ubuntu Mate, Lubuntu, and the custom FedBerry/LXQt image I settled on actually gave me a working desktop on first boot/install - however *only* the custom Fedberry image has worked perfectly from the get-go, *and* given me the current version of LMMS... :D

Cheers,
Chris, NZ.
I just wanted to also indicate I've had luck with my RPi3 (not the newer B+) using Fedberry 27 and the armv7 compiled version of LMMS.

For sound I'm using the Pi-DAC+ shield, I'm an audio guy, they sound pretty good.

Below is the link for this version,
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/pack ... 7/armv7hl/

For people claiming these boards are not powerful enough, they are Quad Core 1.2GHz Broadcom BCM2837 64bit CPUs with
1GB RAM. The problem isn't the speed, it's needing something that's been compiled with the correct libraries for the processor.

Please note the newer version of the RPI3 B+ is a different processor, an armv8. For that, you probably want to go for the Aarch64 code.

I used this with a couple of tracks recording, with a couple of plugins FX running, seems solid so far.
I am using LMMS on my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B (ARM Cortex-A7 Quad-Core 900MHz 1GB RAM) with the current Raspbian OS (November 2018 release, Debian Strech based, Kernel 4.14). Raspbian comes with LMMS 1.1.3 available in the package manager and that's what I am currently running. It works absolutely fine.

I have that Pi connected to a 3.5" screen (720x480 input resolution squeezed down to the screen's hardware resolution of only 480x320 pixels) via HDMI and am using the 3.5mm analog audio output of that screen with anything that fits - depending on where I am using it (my stereo, my large headphones, my small headphones, a mobile stereo speaker or a tiny mono speaker). Audio quality is almost as good as with my desktop PC's standard usb soundcard. No problem there. Of course the screen is really tiny which prevents it from being convenient for most of the things LMMS actually can do. But that's OK for me.

I have connected my very basic MIDI keyboard (which really is "just the keys" and has no audio generating capabilities of its own) and start plunking. I downloaded some freely available SF2 soundfonts. So now I have lots of instruments to play.

The whole thing can be powered by a portable phone charger (external battery). I am using some 20.000mAh model and it lasts for forever, probably days.

Sometimes I fire up some synthesizer plugin but of course the small screen is limiting the fun with that. But again, that's OK for me.

It's a nice toy and I like tinkering around with it. I got myself a teaching book on piano/keyboard and would like to learn at least some simple songs. MuseScore also comes in handy.

What I am eagerly awaiting are the upcoming releases of LMMS and Raspbian because LMMS 1.2.0 RC7 has a Gig-Player plugin that I would like to use on my Pi. Unfortunately I cannot find 1.2.0-binaries for my Pi yet and I am not really into compiling it from source on my own.

So thank you and keep up the great work, LMMS team!

Btw. I sent a few Dollars via Paypal to the LMMS project. Maybe you feel the urge to do so as well, the donation link is on that page: https://lmms.io/get-involved/ You can also get involved by giving some of your time for development, translations or other work.
jahoomax wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:15 am
I am using LMMS on my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B (ARM Cortex-A7 Quad-Core 900MHz 1GB RAM) with the current Raspbian OS (November 2018 release, Debian Strech based, Kernel 4.14). Raspbian comes with LMMS 1.1.3 available in the package manager and that's what I am currently running. It works absolutely fine.

I have that Pi connected to a 3.5" screen (720x480 input resolution squeezed down to the screen's hardware resolution of only 480x320 pixels) via HDMI and am using the 3.5mm analog audio output of that screen with anything that fits - depending on where I am using it (my stereo, my large headphones, my small headphones, a mobile stereo computer speaker list or a tiny mono speaker). Audio quality is almost as good as with my desktop PC's standard usb soundcard. No problem there. Of course the screen is really tiny which prevents it from being convenient for most of the things LMMS actually can do. But that's OK for me.

I have connected my very basic MIDI keyboard (which really is "just the keys" and has no audio generating capabilities of its own) and start plunking. I downloaded some freely available SF2 soundfonts. So now I have lots of instruments to play.

The whole thing can be powered by a portable phone charger (external battery). I am using some 20.000mAh model and it lasts for forever, probably days.

Sometimes I fire up some synthesizer plugin but of course the small screen is limiting the fun with that. But again, that's OK for me.

It's a nice toy and I like tinkering around with it. I got myself a teaching book on piano/keyboard and would like to learn at least some simple songs. MuseScore also comes in handy.

What I am eagerly awaiting are the upcoming releases of LMMS and Raspbian because LMMS 1.2.0 RC7 has a Gig-Player plugin that I would like to use on my Pi. Unfortunately I cannot find 1.2.0-binaries for my Pi yet and I am not really into compiling it from source on my own.

So thank you and keep up the great work, LMMS team!

Btw. I sent a few Dollars via Paypal to the LMMS project. Maybe you feel the urge to do so as well, the donation link is on that page: https://lmms.io/get-involved/ You can also get involved by giving some of your time for development, translations or other work.
an you find and test a more recent package than 1.0.3 ?