lmms with linux on RasberryPie Infos & solutions

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi there,

i am snu and I want to use lmms on raspbian jessey on my raspberry pi 3.

My Problem: After some minutes LMMS crashes and thats it. I have to restart it.

I guess its a memory problem, because if I increase the buffer-size it keeps running a little bit longer.

If the project grows, it crashes soon after restarting the programm.

Have a nice weekend everybody!

edit:
it does not matter which driver i choose under settings. Same problem with all of them.
snusnu wrote:Hi there, i am snu
Hi, Welcome to the forum snu! Here are all our important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
I want to use lmms on raspbian jessey on my raspberry pi 3.
That is not supported.
Windows and linux is fully supported, MAC x10 is partly.
You can read about requirements and setup in the link i gave above.
I am very surprised that you even managed to open lmms on a rasberry 8|
Hi! Thanks for the links.

Do I get your wink right and i am in the wrong forum? ^^

LMMS is easy to install with apt-get and it works really well for a few seonds to minutes. I even managed it to make small Songs with 3-4 Synth and some Drums. But after a while I get this error:

ALSA lib pcm.c:7843:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred
Speicherzugriffsfehler #Segmentation fault in English

And it shutdown. Any hints where I could find some hints or help?

Best wishes snu
snusnu wrote: Do I get your wink right and i am in the wrong forum? ^^
Nono not at all, it is only general info :)
Any hints where I could find some hints or help?
I guess it would be a rasberry tech forum. I have no experience with rasberry at all, and i do not know anything about rasberry software.
It would be a neat thing if lmms indeed would run on rasberry, but at the moment, at least, it is not something that can be prioritized :)
Cant you try the debian (jesse) frorums ?
I guess the debian jessie forum is a very good idea. Thank you I will have a try.

The Pi is amazing for musicans who travel a lot. There is this samplerbox.org project - amazing with an keyboard / drum pad.
But I found a soulution wich is quite OK for the moment.: On the Raspberry Ubuntu Image with Mate Desktop there is a stable and well working version. The only issue is that the environment itself is very slow. Maybe there is a way to use this version on Raspbian because both are based on debian? hmm

Thanks everybody and have a nice weekend :)

p.s. If I find a solution I will keep you up to date
Hi there,

Sorry for my slightly slow reply, I just got my RPi3 setup, and am having the same crashing issue...
snusnu wrote:I guess the debian jessie forum is a very good idea. Thank you I will have a try.

The Pi is amazing for musicans who travel a lot. There is this samplerbox.org project - amazing with an keyboard / drum pad.
But I found a soulution wich is quite OK for the moment.: On the Raspberry Ubuntu Image with Mate Desktop there is a stable and well working version. The only issue is that the environment itself is very slow. Maybe there is a way to use this version on Raspbian because both are based on debian? hmm

p.s. If I find a solution I will keep you up to date
I haven't tried Ubuntu Mate on my RPi3, but I got annoyed with the sluggishness of it on my RPI2. So when I bought my RPi3 last week to create a portable software sound module I opted for Raspbian Jessie which I must say as an OS is not as pretty as Ubuntu, but is vastly more responsive to input. Sadly though I have the same segfault issue with LMMS 1.0.3.

The segfaults that usually happen look like this through gdb...

Code: Select all

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to thread 0x70fff3d0 (LWP 1548)]
0x0011b2a8 in AudioPort::processEffects() ()
These segfaults seem to happen randomly although almost never right at or just after startup, its usually a minute or 2 in sometimes longer - I can be playing SF2's via a keyboard, or programming drums using the mouse, or LMMS can be sitting there not playing at all - it just vanishes or freezes. The longest it has run for was when I set a beat running and stepped away as a test - it ran for 30 minutes, so I stopped the beat and walked away, and then came back to the Pi 5 minutes later to find LMMS had vanished/died while sitting not playing! :x

Other than that LMMS seems to run very smoothly - latency is minimal, I can play *most* of the demo songs without overloading the RPi3 - I have 2 x USB MIDI controller keyboards attached (M-Audio KeyStation 88es, and Novation LaunchKey 49), I use a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface for audio I/O, and since the SF2 player takes very little CPU I have 8GB of soundfonts (ranging in size from 5MB to 300MB, some very nice ones) that I use to make noises - if the segfaults could be solved it would be the *perfect* twin keyboard setup for jamming, which is kinda what I was hoping for as I jam fortnightly with some guys from work.

If there is anything I can do to help solve the segfault mystery I'm keen to help...

Cheers,
Chris, NZ.
@Chrisblob Hi!

These are two quite different messages. I couldn't find anything in our bug tracker with a crash in AudioPort::processEffects()
Can you find and test a more recent package than 1.0.3 ? We are about to release 1.2.0 so this is probably nothing we can do anything about from our side. It sounds like a bug but it could be platform specific or already fixed.
Greetings,
zonkmachine wrote:@Chrisblob Hi!

These are two quite different messages. I couldn't find anything in our bug tracker with a crash in AudioPort::processEffects()
Can you find and test a more recent package than 1.0.3 ? We are about to release 1.2.0 so this is probably nothing we can do anything about from our side. It sounds like a bug but it could be platform specific or already fixed.
1.0.3-5 is as recent as can be installed from the official repos for Debian (or Raspbian) Jessie. 1.1.3-7 is available, but only to those running Debian Stretch (testing) or Debian Sid (unstable). I note most other mainstream distros include 1.1.3 already; Debian are touted as being the most reliable Linux distro, but they achieve that by purposely selecting not quite bleeding edge versions of software to bundle with their distro - that of course has the ironic downside that bugs fixed in later versions of the software may still be in the older code that Debian uses for their stable release... :roll:

I'm just rolling in a system wide update to my RPi3 - I'll test LMMS once its done...

Cheers,
Chris W, NZ.
zonkmachine wrote:@Chrisblob Hi!

OK, so I updated Raspbian to latest, mainly to get Pixel desktop instead of basic openbox, but it makes no difference - I still get the random segfaults. I did have one odd crash where LMMS stopped playing a beat I had running, but didn't die completely - I could click on buttons, view menus etc, but the app wouldn't action any clicks on those items. There was a warning in the gdb console repeated 3 times before LMMS stopped...

fluidsynth: warning: No preset found on channel 9 [bank=128 prog=0]

I then found out about rpi.autostatic.com, which is a .deb repository that is meant to address the lack of current release default audio/music stuff in Debian/Raspbian (it sounds like that is a bone of contention perhaps), but of all the dozens of Linux audio apps out there LMMS was about the only one they don't provide sadly... :o

So I've no further info on the issue, other than its still there...

Cheers,
Chris, NZ.