Lmms Can't load VST Plugins

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
huttmunkkeeeys wrote:It loads now,
Ok then my guess was correct
You have not recreated the correct path in your second installation attempt, so now you have 2 options.
Option1
You need to manually rewrite all VSTs-paths in the projects with VSTs you made before your re-install

Option2
You must rebuild the old folder-structure for the VSTs-path, so it is exactly like it was before you re-installed. VSTs projects made after the reinstall, wont work

Option1 is best if you only have 5-10 VSTs containing old projects, but does need XML-code-insight.
Option2 is best if you have loads of VSTs containing old projects, but does need pc-skills.

I have helped another person with the XML-thing before, and i can do it for you too for <15 or so files
but it set all my instruments to default ;-;
Yes, there was no chunck information in the file
There are chunck in Test.mmp:

Code: Select all

chunk="U3ludGgxIFZTVCBDaHVuayBEYXRhAAA..="/>
but nothing in Messing-around.mmpz
So in Messing-around.mmpz, you only have a default Synth1 defined. Is that also wrong?
You believe the settings of the dials in Synth1 has reverted to default?!
musikbear wrote: You must rebuild the old folder-structure for the VSTs-path, so it is exactly like it was before you re-installed. VSTs projects made after the reinstall, wont work
Before I did the reinstall, I moved all my files under my user folder over to a separate hard-drive. After I was done reinstalling, I moved everything back. I didn't mess with any of the folders during this process. When I was moving everything back, I did hit a couple of errors with it moving everything, but I just deleted everything and retried again. What I'm saying is the folder structure should be exactly the same as before I reinstalled.
I have helped another person with the XML-thing before, and i can do it for you too for <15 or so files
The thing is, I don't know how to read music or have knowledge in the way of music theory, ie what chords are what and what chords sound good together. So I have a tendency of throwing random notes and beats against a wall and see what sticks. When I find something that sounds good, I try and expand upon it. With that said, I have a lot of files that just have simple beats and rhythms in it as ideas I can use for future projects. I'm not entirely sure which one of these have VST's or not.
but nothing in Messing-around.mmpz
So in Messing-around.mmpz, you only have a default Synth1 defined. Is that also wrong?
You believe the settings of the dials in Synth1 has reverted to default?!
Yes, messing-around.mmp wasn't using the default instrument from synth1. They were using some custom instruments I had in a sound bank from synth1. If I knew what those instruments were, I probably would of never post on here as I could just reset them all. But considering that I don't, I really don't want to spend several hours on one project just trying to figure out what instrument I was using.

With all that said, you stating that the project was missing chunk data makes me think that there might of been some corruption in the files when I was transferring them back. So after posting this, I'm gonna go look at some of my backup files to see if that was the issue all along.
huttmunkkeeeys wrote: What I'm saying is the folder structure should be exactly the same as before I reinstalled.
It is however changed. You can see that in the folder info for vst
Messing-around (before you reinstalled)

<instrument name="vestige">
            <vestige plugin="lmms/Plugins[b]/Synth1/[/b]Synth1 VST.dll "

Test (after reinstall)

<instrument name="vestige">
            <vestige plugin="Synth1 VST.dll"
so in your old installation you had an extra folders Plugins/Synth1', at least that what i can read in the projectfile
The thing is, I don't know how to read music or have knowledge in the way of music theory, ie what chords are what and what chords sound good together.
:) sidetracking, but i have tutorial videos for music theory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgx-_hMFYg

I'm not entirely sure which one of these have VST's or not.
oki, so the projects are mostly sketches for later..
With all that said, you stating that the project was missing chunk data makes me think that there might of been some corruption in the files when I was transferring them back.
it should not happen, and you can see the folder structure difference bright clear:

<vestige plugin="lmms/Plugins[b]/Synth1/[/b]Synth1 VST.dll "

That is your mistake
I think I found the problem. I've gone back through my other hard drive and found an old backup of my lmms directory from over a year ago, the last time I reinstalled, and it had the same exact folder layout as my current installation. Everything was the exact same aside from the newer backup having a few more projects. After getting fed up with not finding any discrepancies in the directories, I decided to download an XML program and see if I can find anything in the XML code. That's when I spotted an issue. My older projects have a different XML layout then the new ones.

My old projects are laid out as such:

<vestige plugin="lmms/Plugins/Synth1/Synth1 VST.dll"/>
whereas my newer projects are laid out as:

<vestige program="0" guivisible="1" plugin="Synth1 VST.dll" chunk="U3ludGgxIFZTVCBDaHVuayBEYXRh...AAAA="/
After seeing this, it lead me to this question. Is VeSTige maintained by the same people who maintain lmms? to me it seems there has been a change in how VST's are stored in the XML code. Granted, I don't know much about XML, so I may be missing something here, but this seems to be the issue.

I have created a new project where I loaded Synth1 and kept as default, not altering a thing with it, and loaded that into the XML editor. It also had all the extra data in it. After running through several of my old projects, none of them have this extra data. This leads me to believe that there has been a change in the way VST data is stored in the XML code.
Okay now I feel stupid. Found the issue. Under settings -> Paths, I had VST-PLUGIN DIRECTORY set as /home/zach/lmms/Plugins/Synth1 when it should of been set to /home/zach. I feel stupid now that I didn't catch that earlier. Any way, thanks for your help through this mess. :)
huttmunkkeeeys wrote:Found the issue. Under settings -> Paths, I had VST-PLUGIN DIRECTORY set as
/home/zach/lmms/Plugins/Synth1
when it should of been set to
/home/zach.
Yes that is what i showed you here

<vestige plugin="lmms/Plugins/Synth1/Synth1 VST.dll "

Just to clearyfy

<vestige program="0" guivisible="1" plugin="Synth1 VST.dll" chunk="U3ludGgxIFZTVCBDaHVuayBEYXRh...AAAA="/
Only shows that there has been made choices inside the the VST-ui
Specifically
first available preset is chosen
The vst ui has been saved opened
and there has been changes to the dials (chunk-data)
These is not related to your path / folder stuff :)

But great that you have a working install now :)
iv'e been lmms for like a 3 or 4 months and suddenly i couldn't use VST ,it wouldn't open!
i then re installed it and it's not opening still. help!
im using win7 32bit
The topic started , was on Linux.

It would be better if you start a new topic.
jeffrey wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:13 pm
iv'e been lmms for like a 3 or 4 months
Hi, Welcome to the Forum jeffrey !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
suddenly i couldn't use VST
im using win7 32bit
Gps is correct, this thread is for a linux issue, but lets see what we can do
It is the word suddenly that is important here.
Your fail 'arrived' after some activity.
My guess is that you have mowed a folder or file, then the internal paths will no longer work!
First thing to try is a cold reboot
Shut down your pc and pull the plug from the wall, then wait 5 mins, repluck and start your pc.
Test LMMS
If it does not work, i would reinstall
Follow these guidelines:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=In ... w_versions
Let us know the outcome :)