Midi drag-and-drop

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Many of the modern vst or Kontakt instruments I use have internal programs that will generate lovely musical patterns which are automatically generated in midi format. These midi files are generated "on the fly" by the instruments, and are not permanently stored in a folder which can be accessed and thus imported into LMMS. However, these instruments all confidently claim that you can simply drag-and-drop any of those desired midi files into your DAW. This means that they are assuming that your DAW can accept drag-and-drop midi files. As far as I know, LMMS does not have that capability.
(1) Does LMMS have that capability?
(2) If not, is that something which is anticipated for the future?

thanks
No
No
Honestly 'automatically generated' ..?
So the vst creates notes?!
ehrmm :/
Do you need to be home, when the pc compose? :p
musikbear;

Your replies to me often seem to indicate that you think my questions and comments are absurd, and do not accurately reflect reality. This indicates to me that --- though you have a lot of knowledge about the technology underlying LMMS ---you have a SEVERE lack of knowledge regarding making music. I, on the other hand, have a LOT of knowledge regarding making music. Maybe if you pay attention to my questions and comments, and maybe listen to some of the vast amount of music I have made over the past 3 years, using LMMS, YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING USEFUL.

YES, there are MANY instruments on the market (Kontakt and vst instruments) which offer the ability to drag-and-drop midi files from the instrument (loaded in your DAW) onto a separate new midi track --- thus enabling you to use any desired instrument to play those midi files. Some of those instruments come with a folder where those midi files are stored, thus making those midi files available for import into LMMS. Some of those instruments have no separate midi files for them to pull from --- they generate the musical patterns within the instrument, rather than pulling them from midi files. Those instruments also offer drag-and-drop-midi, so you can drag the generated musical pattern in midi-format onto a separate new track in your DAW, enabling you to have permanent access, forever, to that musical pattern.

THERE ARE MANY EXAMPLES --- here is ONE: there is a company called Realitone (realitone.com/), a producer of superb instruments for Kontakt. Their instruments offer drag-and-drop midi, for any lovely musical pattern generated by the instrument. Their newest instrument, called Fingerpick, can be used to create a virtually infinite variety of beautiful acoustic guitar phrases. I recently corresponded with the owner of that company, asking him if those midi files exist somewhere, so I can access them. I offered to pay for them. He responded: "There are no MIDI files, all MIDI data is generated on the fly. So the old trick of importing won't work for Fingerpick. All is not lost! If you are using Kontakt as a VST you can enable MIDI out for Kontakt and just record the data into a new MIDI track. This works really nicely."

So he didn't really understand that I use a DAW that lacks the capability to do what he recommended. He didn't realize that there is still a DAW, in 2017, that can't do that.

Here's another fascinating example from the same company. This regards their instrument Realidrums, which I think is the best virtual drums instrument on the planet. Check out their walk-thru video, at http://realitone.com/realidrums/. The entire video is awesome, but you should definitely focus on the segment from 14:24 to 15:26, in which the instrument's midi-drag-and-drop is discussed and demonstrated.

Other DAWs DO support midi-drag-and-drop. And yes, some instruments DO generate midi on the fly. (musikbear, just because YOU are not aware of something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist --- and it also doesn't mean that other people who ARE aware of it are insane or stupid)

I use LMMS because it's the DAW I started with, and because I like the way it is laid out, in a neat non-cluttered way, very intuitive and very nice for my work flow. I have used it to make a LOT of unique and beautiful music, over the past 3 years. Obviously, I wish it had all the capabilities of other DAWs; so when there is a function I would like to use, I first try to figure out if it can be done in LMMS. If I can't see a way to do it, I come to the LMMS forum and ask if there's a way to do it, and if not, is there a plan to add that feature in the future.

What I DON'T like, musikbear, is when YOU respond to those questions as if the questions are insane.

Don't do that anymore.

Whenever I ask a question, it is ALWAYS a legitimate question, which is asked politely, and for 3 reasons: (1) to increase my knowledge; and/or (2) to improve my workflow; and/or (3) to enhance my ability to make awesome music.

Have a great day
You are welcome to make a request for the feature you want in in
http://lmms.io/forum/viewforum.php?f=15
MIDI support is restricted to MIDI import, and will be also in 1.2.0.
If the vsts you like to use can export real midi-files, there are no problem importing them into lmms.
Otherwise you can create a 'songbook' with the sequences you like to reuse, and drag-drop the whole track into another lmms-project.
You need 2 lmms instances opened at the same time for that.
At the moment that the best lmms can do in respect to re-use tracks from other projects.
In respect to using vsts with highly specific features, you will also have to make requests for those.
I will not change my opinion about auto-generated patterns. I believe it is wrong, and that music and creativity will suffer from that kind of features.
Bots will not make art.
That is ofcause only imo
Yours opinion on the subject is different, and both are valid.
You said "Bots will not make art". It sounds to me like you're struggling to find an insult to throw at me.

So you believe people should not use the LMMS ARPEGGIO feature? It makes some pretty good arpeggios (IF the composer has given it something good to work with.) And you don't believe in using vst instruments and vst effects?

Yes, bots don't make art. I have to compose ALL my music BEFORE I use the LMMS arpeggio, or any of the other instruments I have been describing. These instruments are like ALL vst instruments and effects --- they only produce art if art is inputted into them, in the first place. If you listen to my music, you will hear ART, composed by ME.

If YOU are able to make music as good as mine, I would love to hear it. Please post a link.

One last point: the LMMS Arpeggio function can be used to generate a virtually infinite number of musical patterns. I have never found any sub-folder in my LMMS folder which contains midi files used by the LMMS Arpeggio. So it would appear that LMMS generates these musical patterns "on the fly", at my command, changing them instantaneously, as often as I desire, according to my artistic whim. If I give the LMMS Arpeggio something beautiful to work with, it will process it and give me back something beautiful, in return. LMMS has had this capability for years, perhaps utilizing a technology similar to the other instruments I have described and alluded to --- with the primary difference being the fact that LMMS is unable to export those patterns in midi format.

Fortsat god dag
sizemore0409 wrote: It sounds to me like you're struggling to find an insult to throw at me.
How you come to that conclusion after i gave you several ways to achieve what you are looking for, i cant understand.
I dont think we will get to an agreement on the subject of computer generated midi patterns. Your comparison with the arpeggio is not correct, imo. Arpeggios dos not generate a pattern, it will do nothing unless the user 'feed' it notes.
That is different from auto-generated-music.
The subject 'computer-generated-music' was up earlier this year, and i said the same thing. I cant remember if you participated in the discussion, but i believe it also was mentioned in contest-context, together with sampling.
When is a piece of music 'new', and when is it infact a copy of something else.
Sampling can be caught, and (?) Umcaruje said he would disqualify entrances with "too much sampling" -That in its own is difficult and ambiguous; When is it 'too much'
Usage of Auto-generated music cant be caught. No one can see that a chord progression is made by a computer program, so for that, there is no control.
But imo it is wrong to use it, and i will work against features for that in lmms, others may see that different, and then the feature will be added to the very long list of user wishes.
In fact most of the features you see in lmms, are user requests.
That is the beauty of open source community software, users really do have a word.
As said earlier: You can add any request in 'Suggestions'

Weather or not my music is good is not up to me to say, but You can listen to my music on yT. link in signature.