XP and service-pack 3? Your comminity needs you

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi all. Lately several users have posted about a serious issue:
LMMS 0.4.15 hangs/ freeze either
a) when lmms is opend (splash-screen-freeze)
b) when the settings-dialog is opend (dialog freeze)
This may or may not have connections to XP-service-pack 3 (sp3)
What is needed is a survey over those of you who use XP 0.4.15 and has sp3 installed
How does lmms behave?
Does anyone with sp3 use 0.4.15 without problems?
If you do have xp-sp3 please post here if:
*lmms works
*(splash-screen-freeze)
*(dialog freeze)
The more answers, the more urgentcy this could create

tyia.
Hello,

LMMS versions 0.4.14 and 0.4.15 seem to work absolutely beautifully in Windows XP SP3.

LMMS version 0.4.13 and prior ones seem to crash constantly while using even the most simplest VSTs. The crashes sometimes appear random, with no reproducible behavior, and other times it crashes when trying to use the save/load preset or bank.

I have also noticed, again on 0.4.13, that many VST (effects plugins) seem to get two windows upon loading them into the FX chain. One window with the VST in it, and another window that's the same size as the 1st, however the contents of this 2nd window are empty.

Aside from that issue with 0.4.13 crashing as described above, the later versions of LMMS (e.g. 0.4.14/0.4.15) seem to just work beautifully.
LMMS versions 0.4.14 and 0.4.15 seem to work absolutely beautifully in Windows XP SP3.
this is important information!
Just to clearyfy:
If you Open the settings-dialogs and try to alter for instance 'sound-device' or 'Buffer-size'
You have NO problems at all?
Thank you.
Yes that is correct.

I can use all of the edit-settings menu options. I have changed buffer sizes, reconfigured sound output (switched from portaudio to Simple Direct Media Layer (SDL)). Those settings worked as well.

Hope this helps.
thetempest333 wrote: Hope this helps.
Thanks -alot actually, because this would be a strong indicatinon that those having issues with xp+sp3 has some 'local' problem, not being lmms

It would still be very usefull if other could post their results. the more the better
I just loaded LMMS 0.4.15 on my Windows XP SP3 machine about an hour ago, and after looking forward to using this program I was greatly disappointed that I got the splash screen freeze problem (most of that hour was googling on the problem, after downloading and installing). And not only no way to fix it - but no way to even figure out what is wrong. Note that after installing, I have done a reboot of the computer (just in case), but to no effect.
greeneto wrote: And not only no way to fix it - but no way to even figure out what is wrong. Note that after installing, I have done a reboot of the computer (just in case), but to no effect.
Im really sad to read this. I have no idea why some have issues, and some not - wonder if there are different 'versions' of sp3.. - but most likely its a conflict issue.
think icq or similar background running processes

i have no solutions :/
same here. splash screen appears, CPU is consumed 97-99% nothing happens further. have waited for quite some time before killing the process. tried with a bit older version - same thing happens.

XP Home (32bit) sp3 with all latest updates.
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 single core 3.4 Ghz
4 GB ram

will try it with older version see how it goes.
have you any external devices connected
soundcard
midi-keyboard
?
Nice to read that it should work with Win XP :)
... but as LMMS wont start beyond the splash-screen here too (XP, SP3). :|

I ran Depends/profiling which showed besides lot's of failed calls to vista- and win7- realted dll-exports (which just don't exist in the Win-XP version of kernel32.dll, user32.dll) ????! :?:
that LMMS fails to load avrt.dll (which ist not available on this machine - would otherwise be located at the windows\system32-folder) and just hangs.... :oops:

merry x-mas