sharing songs on LMMS

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I would really like to share some of the songs I've made on the lmms site, but when I try and register my username on there it says "this user already exists". Even when I tried making up a completely new fictitious name (Roger Worthington; siouerhgiuvrynvuiryn). My Sourceforge account doesn't seem to work either when I try and login with it. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Also, should I go about trying to get some sort of copyright on my songs before sharing them? What is a creative commons license and how do I get that?
It seems like this forum/lsp problem has flared up before, so I hope it gets fixed soon.

As to CC, I will explain. If you create something, it IS copyrighted to you. Your copyright might not be registered, making it very difficult to prove that you own the copyright, but it is still copyrighted to you. In order to distribute copyrighted works, you grant a "license" allowing people to own a copy of your work provided they use it under the terms stipulated in the "license agreement." The average person however, is generally not well versed enough in legal mumbo-jumbo to write their own license agreement, so several many agreements have been written up for the lay-man to use to distribute their work. There is a set of licenses like this called the Creative Commons licenses geared toward distributing free art. Many musicians choose Creative Commons licenses for this reason.

Go to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/ for enough information to choose whether or not you want to distribute your music under CC, and what CC license you want to distribute under if you do.

And feel free to ask more questions too. :)
Let's say I don't get any sort of CC license (even though I just did via that website). If I post some songs on LMMS Website, and someone else then downloads the songs and uses them for commercial gain, what sort of remedy would I have against them? Would I need to prove that I created the work in LMMS before they downloaded it?
If someone infringes your copyright you can take them to court sue them. You may be required to provide documentation proving that you own the copyright, which the accused may attack as invalid or insufficient. This is why registering your copyright is a good idea, as it provides irrefutable evidence that you are the original author.
As an idea, you could show that your track was uploaded to the LSP on it's tagged date, before whomever you're suing began distributing their rip-off. You could show that it was distributed under term in a license agreement that they are now violating. Even if you don't have a registered copyright, things like this can very much tip the scales in your favor.
:bump:

I still can't log into the LMMS sharing portion of the site
It's impossible to register at LMMS LSP

http://lmms.sourceforge.net/lsp/index.p ... n=register

admins: try it out, please
Admin pm'd!
owallgren wrote:Admin pm'd!
thanks.