One sound overrides the other - how to solve it?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I have the following problem: in a certain passage, there are a lot of instrument playing and especially one of them gets "overwritten" by the other. How can I fix this problem? I'd like that particular instrument to be heard.

I'm not sure, but is "stereo widening" maybe a solution to this problem? I've never used it before so I wouldn't know...
Panning and other stereo adjustments only give your instruments the illusion of separation. It will likely sound fine through headphones, which have a clear distinction between left and right channel, but this illusion will disappear when you listen in mono.

It may be better to apply subtractive EQ instead, or in addition to stereo widening. For each instrument, determine in what frequency range it should be, and cut out the frequencies that are outside of this range. Sometimes a simple three knob EQ plugin (DJ EQ) will suffice.
I do a lot of classical sounding music with LMMS, sometimes I change octaves of the instruments. Because of one instrument covering another. Like if the violin notes, are too close to the cello. I will raise the octave of the violin.
Eino wrote:I do a lot of classical sounding music with LMMS, sometimes I change octaves of the instruments. Because of one instrument covering another. Like if the violin notes, are too close to the cello. I will raise the octave of the violin.
Interesting. That octave technique does work.

In my case:
If I'm using Synth 1, for both my pad sound and my melody sound, and one blurs, or overrides the other.
I would sometimes, either adjust/change the frequency dial, of one of the Synth 1 sounds.
Or, in rare cases, I'll adjust the Unison pitch dial.
Mostly, I would do this, on the pad sound.
It may/may not always work in some cases, but then again, it works sometimes.
And I'm still testing this out, as we speak. :geek: