My Project will not open

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I am unsure whether or not this problem has anything to do with VSTs (Not even sure what those are really). I am new to beat making software and created a project about two days ago that will not open all of a sudden. The file begins loading and crashes at 57% leaving me with a blank LMMS screen. Please help
Hi DTABeats and welcome to Lmms Forums. :)

1) Remove the Vst's from the folder that you store the Vst's in.

2) Reopen Lmms and then Open the project, and see if it loads successfully.

3) If your project opens successfully . It means that one/a few of the Vst's, is causing the loading problem. :geek:

Tell us how it goes from there.

PS: We have a list of tested Vst's that work in Lmms.
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Tested_VSTs
Feel free, to check them out. More Vst's will be added to the list, in due time. 8-)
Hi Brandy, thanks for answering so swiftly. So I'm in c:/programfiles\LMMS but there is a "data" folder and "plugins" folder as well as files with .dll outside of both folders but within the LMMS folder. There is also a folder within the "plugins" folder titled "ladspa" with more .dll files inside of it. None of the dates listed for any of the files are even 2016, yet both folders have a recent date next to them. I'm not sure why that is or which folder you were specifically talking about.

Also none of the VSTs listed as incompatible with windows are in any of the folders I just mentioned from just looking at titles.
DTABeats wrote:Hi Brandy, thanks for answering so swiftly. I'm not sure why that is or which folder you were specifically talking about.
The folder that you put the Vst's into.
The folder, is normally called VSTplugins.

By the way, which 3rd party Vst's did you download, or use? :geek:
DTABeats wrote:VSTs (Not even sure what those are really)
Vst's are usually, 3rd party music plugins, that make sounds or music.
eg. Synth 1 http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/#down
Synth 1 is a Vst plugin, that makes sounds. You can even make your own sounds from them too.
That is what some Vst's can do. :geek:
I don't recall downloading any VSTs at all. I downloaded the LMMS software itself as well as maybe 3 or 4 seperate free sample packs from individual websites. Nothing mentioned VSTs. I'm not even sure I used any VSTs unless each individual sound is considered a VST. My settings said VSTs would be saved in a folder called VSTplugins however I've never had a folder by that name on my laptop and still don't.

PS. I was just able to export the project and listen to it as a .wav file however in lmms nothing pops up after it crashes at 57% still. Not sure If I can do something with this new file?
Confused. How did you manage to EXPORT the project as a .wav if the project only part loads then crashes LMMS ? You can only export a loaded project. What exactly did you do to get the .wav ?

Also if your project does not use Vestige (from the Instrument Plugins list) on any tracks then you aren't using any VSTs because that's the only way LMMS will run them.

Steve
slipstick wrote:Confused. How did you manage to EXPORT the project as a .wav if the project only part loads then crashes LMMS ? You can only export a loaded project. What exactly did you do to get the .wav ?

Also if your project does not use Vestige (from the Instrument Plugins list) on any tracks then you aren't using any VSTs because that's the only way LMMS will run them.

Steve
I try and open the project and the bar with the loading percentage pops up. It reaches 57% and then disappears. Nothing opens at all. All I'm left with is a blank background with the beat editor, song editor, and FX editor that were initially opened upon startup now closed. However, I thought to try and press export on it in case what happened, would happen. All I did was press the "export current project" button after attempting to open it and it gave me a .wav file that plays my project on windows media player. And I didn't use Vestige from the instrument plugin list for any sounds within it so I'm very curious as to what my problem may be if that isn't it. I'm starting to think my best bet may be to just recreate the beat by ear?

I would still like to learn the actual cause of this though for future reference
O.k. so LMMS doesn't actually crash at all. You have a screen with all the menus and buttons present ? If the export produces all the sounds you expected then it has loaded the project. It's likely just the screen that is messed up. Did you try clicking on the beat editor and song editor buttons to see if they come back ? Did you check the scroll bars to make sure that they are not just off the edges of the screen (which can easily happen if you have minimised them) ?

If you load your project (the .mmp or .mmpz file) to https://lmms.io/lsp/?action=browse&category=Projects then someone else can look at it for you. But otherwise we're just trying to guess what might be going on.

Steve
DTABeats wrote: I try and open the project and the bar with the loading percentage pops up. It reaches 57% and then disappears.
:) I think i know this one, Steve is right, your project is loaded
Sometimes the Controller-Rack
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Controller_Rack
can open in full-screen. Then you have a completely 'empty' screen, without any of the familiar components, shown on all the pictures in the wiki.
In here:
ImageJust press
eg, the outmost left button, and the song-editor will appear.
If not, can you take a screen-shot, and post it?
musikbear wrote:
DTABeats wrote: I try and open the project and the bar with the loading percentage pops up. It reaches 57% and then disappears.
:) I think i know this one, Steve is right, your project is loaded
Sometimes the Controller-Rack
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Controller_Rack
can open in full-screen. Then you have a completely 'empty' screen, without any of the familiar components, shown on all the pictures in the wiki.
In here:
ImageJust press
eg, the outmost left button, and the song-editor will appear.
If not, can you take a screen-shot, and post it?
Life Saver. Thanks a lot