New project

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
Hi all,

Just found this forum after two months of having lmms software.
I have made a tune, well several..I'm not about to give up my day job or anything like that I just like making music, it leaves me feeling that i have accomplished something.
so please all, do the honors and rate this track i am about to give you the link.

If you think it's no good say so, or at least give me some feedback on it. I'd appreciate it dearly. Just to reiterate, I'm not a super producer or a wanna be i just enjoying the art of putting beats together. I really have a more appreciation of how music is made.

Thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjTfBL4n79k
Nice! I like the deep sub bass line. The overall sound is a bit claustrophobic though - you could use more delays and reverbs to complete the sound and give it a bit more "room", you know? I'm talking about the percussion especially, the repeating pad on the background seems to have a nice reverb already (is that canyon delay?).

You could also add some variation to the track. Repetitiveness is part of the style sure, but I think it's better if there's some subtle change over time, keeps the listeners interested. Maybe add in some occasional sound fx in there, with tempo synced delays maybe...
Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by more room? Do you think I used too many instruments?

hehehe I am a little ashamed of not adding variety to a track, i think i am hooked on repeat lol.

I will try to heed and take notes. The pad is canyon yes, or a similar, it's from one of the lapsda plugins. :D

I like the piano in the background, when I listen to it again i think maybe it was a little too low.

Damn this music thing is soo much fun.

Sound fx and temp delays -ok I'll make a note of using them for the future.

I'm glad you took the time out to listen and thank you for your honesty.
roy38 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by more room? Do you think I used too many instruments?
No, not at all. You get more room in the sound by widening the stereo image and adding reverbs. Not all sounds need reverbs, and too much reverb sounds horrible so you need to be sure not to go overboard, but if there's no reverb at all it just sounds like a band stuffed in a closet, you know?

You can widen the stereo image by varying the panning of instruments, spreading the different instruments accross the stereo image - one instrument more on the right, another more on the left. You can also add panning vibration (ie. sound that constantly bounces left and right) by attaching LFO's to panning knobs, or using the Calf Pulsator plugin. And lastly, for some instruments it may be more suitable to just use the StereoEnhancer plugin, which doesn't pan the instrument as such, but instead creates a sort of "fake surround" effect, like the sound is coming from all around.
Thanks for the tips diiz.

I agree using the panning gives it that nice effect, i will play around with the effects more, that "controller rack" is amazing also, really helps you in controlling alll those knobs to get an effect you want. :)

I first started using "Darkwave" have you heard of it?
I used it but the sound from it was very limited. Someone told me about FL studio but i wasn't going to pay the price for it.

I just wanted something that was as good as the professionals. LMMS was found after doing some digging on a music forum. At first it looked so daunting with all those different colours and dashboards!

After spending a month just reading about it on the wiki and looking at tutorials on youtube was I able to grasp what it's all about.

Do you think LMMS will ever be a paid software in the future?

regards,
roy38 wrote:Do you think LMMS will ever be a paid software in the future?
If you want to pay for it, I'm sure the developers don't mind. LMMS is open source software.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software