[SOLVED]Notes played choppily using computer keyboard

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi,
I've been working on this problem for two hours now and I solved it, I just wanted to post it here in case somebody else runs into it because I couldn't find a solution for this anywhere else.

When I played notes e.g. in the piano roll or in a plugin using the computer keyboard, the notes were played choppily after a few seconds.

Probably because I have been battling my audio interface for the past few days, I was convinced it would have something to with the buffer size or the JACK server or something, so I fiddled around with that stuff and even the kernel, for nothing. It turned out my first gut feeling had been right, it was just the typematic delay setting of the keyboard.

Solution [Linux]:
Set the typematic delay of your xserver to a value (in ms) longer than any note you'll ever play, e.g. 9999: xset r rate 9999 [9999 seems to be the max value]
To make it permanent, use xinitrc.

[Windows]
I haven't used Windows for years, but I think there used to be an easily accessible setting for the very same delay in the ~Keyboard settings in System Control (I think?) Mac might be similar.

Now it could be that this issue is so simple that everybody else just gets it, but maybe somebody else with his head caught up in so much other stuff that he forgets to check for the simple thing first can benefit from this :)

P.S.: To make this easier to find, some keywords: playback computer keyboard piano roll jerky choppy cut off intermittent jerkily shitty aw man why I'm so stupid
Highly impressed over that you solved this. Have read about a few others who had this problem and don't think they worked it out the way you did, I think they changed sound driver.
Huh, that's weird. My typematic delay is very short and it doesn't affect note playback at all.

What version of LMMS are you using? Are you sure it's the typematic delay that solved your problem? Maybe it's something else you did.
Hi,
No, it's definitely the typematic delay. When I set it to 2 seconds, the chopping appears after precisely 2 seconds. When I set to 5, after 5, and so on.
I think it's pretty obvious, since what happens when you press a key on your keyboard is (imho and in my layman's terms) that a BINARY value is passed to the kernel with "KEYA_PRESSED" or "KEYA_NOTPRESSED". That is fine, but what the typmatic delay does is that if this value persists for longer than ~say 2 seconds (and the note in LMMS sounds for longer than 2 seconds), THEN that value is *repeatedly* passed to the software [I'm not sure here, does the xserver then take the continuous kernel value and pass it repeatedly to the software? would be cool if somebody could pass on some serious knowledge here] instead of continuously. So you don't get a long, continuous note, but as many notes per second as the typematic delay repeatedly passes.

This is where the choppiness comes from. Instead of one long note you get, with xserver standard setting, 25 keystrokes per second, this apparently more widely known annoying power-fart.

I just remembered I have the threadirqs kernel parameter enabled. This is not standard imho and deals with the keyboard also. I'll disable it, reboot and see what happens. Will tell you soon.

Am running LMMS 0.4.15 on Arch Linux 3.12.7-2 on a Dell Latitude D620 with, I think, all and every bit of software on the freshest, stable release.
Yep, am back without threadirqs and it's still absolutely determined by what value I set in "xset r rate [time-in-ms]".

diiz, what operating system are you running?
perhaps LMMS tries to deactivate typematic delay per standard, but somehow doesn't make it on some machines? It's what I would have suggested to the developers, maybe, if more people have this problem. I don't think you need the delay and keystroke repeat in any task in LMMS, maybe it's possible to just disable it?

greetings
I'm on Linux Mint and no problems here.

I suggest you file an issue on github:

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues?state=open

I'm pretty certain that the typematic delay should have no effect on LMMS, so this is probably a bug that affects only some systems for some reason.
Thank for your thoughts dizz, I filed an issue on github.

Have fun using LMMS and all the best :) Cheers!