LMMS crashing when using Synth 1

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I have been having general problems with Synth1. I don't know if this is Lmms or my own computer, but what generally happens is this:
1) I open Lmms
2) I add a track with VeSTige
3) I tell VeSTige to use Synth1
4a) Synth1 opens successfully, or
4b) Lmms crashes.

If 4a,
5) I open the presets
6) I try to duplicate the Synth1 track on to another track to save time
7) Lmms crashes.

Both of these scenarios occur frequently, and the latter event always happens. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you get it fixed, and how?
Tenebrosi wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:56 am
I have been having general problems with Synth1. I don't know if this is Lmms or my own computer, but what generally happens is this:
1) I open Lmms
2) I add a track with VeSTige
3) I tell VeSTige to use Synth1
4a) Synth1 opens successfully, or
4b) Lmms crashes.

Both of these scenarios occur frequently, and the latter event always happens. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you get it fixed, and how?
Yep. It happens sometimes. I went through this same problem, a few times too.

Okay, here is what to do.
When you open Synth 1 via Vestige, don't press any PC keys or click with the mouse etc
when loading a vst. (otherwise it will freeze Lmms) :P
Let Synth 1, or any other vst, load in fully, then you can press keys and mouse click.

Tenebrosi wrote:
If 4a,
5) I open the presets
6) I try to duplicate the Synth1 track on to another track to save time
7) Lmms crashes.
Tip: Don't duplicate Vestige, especially if it has a vst loaded into it.
Instead, drag in a new instance of Vestige, ( a second vestige) into the Lmms work screen
then reload into it, a new instance of Synth 1.
After Synth 1 has fully loaded into Lmms, copy the notes from the first Synth 1 track,
to the second Synth 1 track. Everything should be fine from there.

Also, what are your PC/Mac specs and what Operating System are you using?
Win 7? Win 10?
Tenebrosi wrote:
I have been having general problems with Synth1. I don't know if this is Lmms or my own computer
Definitively strange, because Synth1 is extremely good in lmms, i believe it is the most stable vst of all, and also the most cpu lean
Besides what Brandy asked you for i would like to know:

Does other vst's work ? (one for test could be MDApiano
Did you follow the synth1 installation manual, or did you just copy ?

Also
please post your:
* OS (+service-pack-version)
* lmms version
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
* lmms sound device chosen
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 4:37 am
I have written a ridiculous amount in the last 5 months, using 90% VSTs, and I clone (duplicate) Vestige all the time & have never once gotten an issue with doing this. Weird! That said, I have never had any issue at all with Synth1, it works flawlessly, so obviously there is many different outcomes depending on your setup. I am using Ubuntu 16.04LTS with wine.
The main LMMS arpeggiator crashes for me all the time, even on native plugins. i gave up on it

A big bug i see is if you open your Vestige presets on the left, and single left mouse click on a Vestige preset file, it opens a copy of the VST associated , but attached to nothing(no channel) ... if u then save the project, when you reopen it, this phantom VST remains loaded in the back ground & can cause issues. You cannot get rid of this background VST loaded because it doesn't have a channel associated with it... A real pain..if i accidentally do this, I open last saved copy of project & accept the loss of work ;)
Only right click on vestige presets & send to new track or current track
musikbear wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 pm
Definitively strange, because Synth1 is extremely good in lmms, i believe it is the most stable vst of all, and also the most cpu lean
I have found Dune 2 to be as stable as Synth1. Really quite a powerful synth too, but I usually prefer Synth1 hehehe, there's something about it....
Franny23dmt wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:24 am
I am using Ubuntu 16.04LTS with wine.
with what lmms release?
The main LMMS arpeggiator crashes for me all the time, even on native plugins. i gave up on it
That is strange, i would like to know more about these crashes, are there error-messages?
single left mouse click on a Vestige preset file, it opens a copy of the VST associated
That is due to preview
Again, this is known for previous releases, afaik preview was prevented in 1.1.3, it is in 1.1.90.
Franny23dmt wrote:
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 4:37 am
I have written a ridiculous amount in the last 5 months, using 90% VSTs, and I clone (duplicate) Vestige all the time & have never once gotten an issue with doing this. Weird! That said, I have never had any issue at all with Synth1, it works flawlessly, so obviously there is many different outcomes depending on your setup. I am using Ubuntu 16.04LTS with wine.

A big bug i see is if you open your Vestige presets on the left, and single left mouse click on a Vestige preset file, it opens a copy of the VST associated , but attached to nothing(no channel) ... if u then save the project, when you reopen it, this phantom VST remains loaded in the back ground & can cause issues. You cannot get rid of this background VST loaded because it doesn't have a channel associated with it... A real pain..if i accidentally do this, I open last saved copy of project & accept the loss of work ;)
Only right click on vestige presets & send to new track or current track
Yep. Synth 1 work really well for me, on Win XP. :)
But on a few rare occasions, when I tried to duplicate Vestige with synth 1 loaded into it, it would freeze lmms. Then I would have to restart Lmms. :)
musikbear wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 12:09 pm
Franny23dmt wrote:
I am using Ubuntu 16.04LTS with wine.
with what lmms release?
That is strange, i would like to know more about these crashes, are there error-messages?
single left mouse click on a Vestige preset file, it opens a copy of the VST associated
That is due to preview
Again, this is known for previous releases, afaik preview was prevented in 1.1.3, it is in 1.1.90.

I am using LMMS 1.1.3. Havnt been game to build/compile the beta @ GitHub, as I am getting great success with 1.1.3, dont wanna rock the boat . The ARP crashes audio & I have to shut down LMMS & reopen to get audio back again . No error messages, the audio simply cuts out. I get ARP issues on a number of Synths actually(Synth1 works perfect, but it is a fairly limited ARP) , I think I use them different to how most people do :)
Franny23dmt wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 pm
The ARP crashes audio & I have to shut down LMMS & reopen to get audio back again . No error messages, the audio simply cuts out
I would like to see a project, i have a hunch...
upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it

To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights
musikbear wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 12:36 pm
Franny23dmt wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 pm
The ARP crashes audio & I have to shut down LMMS & reopen to get audio back again . No error messages, the audio simply cuts out
I would like to see a project, i have a hunch...
upload the project, AS MMP! -and send me the link as PM (just right-click my name in byline and choose Contact musikBear), i will take a look at it

To Save as MMP:
* Open project
* File | save-as
* chose a name... 'xyzzxy.mmp'
press save
You can upload on any file-host like google drive
I will ofcause respect your rights

I havnt been able to reproduce results, and I am thinking it was maybe only when using certain VST's, I have only tested on native LMMS plugins. Will try some more.