Waveforms for triple osc/LFO

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Triple osc just got an upgrade... new waveforms to play with!

Instructions:

1. download this file:
waveform_pack_1.tar.bz2
(47.6 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
- edit. additional waveforms - low amp versions of sine, tri, sqr & saw for use in FM synthesis: https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/lmms ... .php?id=15
- edit2. even more waveforms, all kinds of different ones: https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/lmms ... .php?id=16
- edit3. LFO trancegate waveforms, specially designed for LFO's: https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/lmms ... .php?id=17

2. unpack it to your sample directory

3. open up LMMS and triple osc

4. double click the questionmark icon in the waveform selector

5. pick a waveform from the files you just unpacked

6. have fun!

(optional 7.) You can also use these waveforms in the LFO of any instrument. Not LFO controller (yet... the option is there but it's still non-functional), but the ENV/LFO tab of the instrument window. Simply open the sidebar, open the sample folder, drag a waveform file into the LFO screen, and there you go! Now the fun is multiplied!

I made these waveforms with Audacity, saved them as FLAC, and now they can be used in the triple osc. They add a bit more interesting variation to the already powerful triple osc! Especially when used as modulators. Or in the LFO.

I release these files in public domain (I don't believe waveforms are nor should be copyrightable material in the first place). So do absolutely whatever you want with them.
How do you go about making the wavevorms with audacity. Other than saving as .flac?
nathan-triplex wrote:How do you go about making the wavevorms with audacity. Other than saving as .flac?
There are several ways... one is to zoom in enough until you see the individual sample points, then use the pen tool to just draw the waveform, kind of like in a wavetable synth. But since you have to zoom in very close, it would be very tedious to do a good waveform this way. However this can be used to fix small details.

Mostly what I do is simply use the tools supplied with audacity. In the generate menu, there are the "chirp" and "tone" tools, I mostly use them to create very low-frequency waveforms. Each waveform file must contain only one cycle, because that's how LMMS reads the files - as representations of a single cycle. So lets say I want a regular sinewave, I'd go to the "tone" tool, and tell it to generate a 10hz sinewave tone, with amplitude 1.0 all the way (that corresponds to 0dB), with a length of 0.1 seconds. In a 10hz tone, one cycle is exactly 0.1 seconds long, or 9600 samples at 96khz sample rate.

Now you can basically just use any method of synthesis, but do it manually. For example, additive synthesis can be done by layering tracks, and creating harmonic tones on each track - eg. first one 10hz, next one 30hz, next one 50hz, etc... then mix them together at whatever ratio you want to achieve. This can also be very tedious though.

It's probably easier to start from a sinewave or something, and then use audacity's own tools and effects to modify the waveform. If you think ahead and plan, you can probably figure out how to create the kind of waveform you want, but it's going to take some trial and error and learning some things about how different audio effects work, how they actually effect the waveform.

The upside is, that you can directly apply all that knowledge you learn into music making ;)

---

Also, here's 4 new waveforms. These are basically just sine, saw, triangle and square but each is at 0,1 amplitude. Why you might ask? Well, try to use FM synthesis in the triple osc with the standard waveforms... it's way too sensitive, so using lower amplitude waveforms gives the modulation more precision.
lowampwaveforms.tar.bz2
low amplitude waveforms
(25.44 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
I got bored so I made...

Even more waveforms!
Waveform_pack_2.tar.bz2
(118.17 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
I haven't checked out your waveforms yet diiz.
But I will, as soon as I get a new PC.

Thanks for putting up these Waveforms for us to use. :D
We appreciate it very much!
Good luck and many blessings!!

Hopefully you'll release more. :mrgreen:
brandystarbrite wrote:Hopefully you'll release more. :mrgreen:
These aren't enough?? :o

Well, maybe, if I have time. These days I've been quite busy working on graphics and stuff. ;)

Oh, and in the next version of LMMS, you'll be able to use these waveforms (and others!) in LFO controllers, as well. I haven't yet played with that functionality much, but seems to be working quite well...
Here's the first batch of my LFO trancegate waveforms!

These are quite different from earlier ones, in that they're not meant to be played in triple osc/bitinvader/vibed, but instead they're meant for LFO's, either LFO-controllers or the env/LFO-tab LFO's.

Each waveform is helpfully named with the speed it's meant to be used with - although nothing stops you from using them on slower/faster settings if that's what you fancy. Add these to an LFO controller (if you're using the latest version of LMMS where custom waveforms in LFO are supported) and connect the controller to volume, filter cutoff, oscillator volume, or whatever setting you like. Tempo sync the controller speed to the note length indicated by the name of the waveform. Then listen to the result! If you're still using 0.4.15, you can still use these to control volume, cutoff or resonance in the env/lfo tab.
LFO_waveform_pack_1.tar.bz2
(60.05 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
I can happily announce, that all these waveforms have now been added to LMMS by default. I'll leave this thread here for historical purposes, and also for the benefit of those who don't have access to the dev branch version yet.

In the future, these waveforms can be safely used in eg. exported presets and collaborative projects, without creating extra dependencies.