How to make an instrument really stand out!

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
Hello all! I may be new to using LMMS (and music in general) but I have experimented with reverb and blend and it really helps with making your instruments stand out.

If an instrument is too loud or overshadows another instrument, try lowering the volume first (that should be a given).

If you want to make a quiet instrument louder but the volume knob doesn't do the job, try adding an Amplifier.

You do this by clicking on the instrument that you want to make louder, go to the FX tab, click "Add FX", then select Amplifier from the list. Then, you simply just tweak the volume knob on there until you're happy with how it sounds.

Another thing you can do to make an instrument stand out is use Reverb (Echoed sounds)

1. Click on the instrument you want to add Reverb to
2. Go to the FX Tab.
3. There are multiple tools in LMMS for Reverb, but I like to use C# Plate 2x2 because it's simple and easy to understand and use.
4. Type C# Plate 2x2 into the search bar.
5. There are 4 knobs with this particular tool, turn Dampening all the way down, with Bandwidth and Tail being turned to max.
6.(Optional) Tweak the Blend Setting a little bit, no harm in a little experimenting.

Enjoy your newly refined instruments! :D
DJStarbreaker wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:57 pm
... I have experimented with reverb and blend and it really helps with making your instruments stand out...
Thanks for this :D
DJStarbreaker wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:57 pm
Hello all! I may be new to using LMMS (and music in general) but I have experimented with reverb and blend and it really helps with making your instruments stand out.

If an instrument is too loud or overshadows another instrument, try lowering the volume first (that should be a given).

If you want to make a quiet instrument louder but the volume knob doesn't do the job, try adding an Amplifier.

You do this by clicking on the instrument that you want to make louder, go to the FX tab, click "Add FX", then select Amplifier from the list. Then, you simply just tweak the volume knob on there until you're happy with how it sounds.

Another thing you can do to make an instrument stand out is use Reverb (Echoed sounds)

1. Click on the instrument you want to add Reverb to
2. Go to the FX Tab.
3. There are multiple tools in LMMS for Reverb, but I like to use C# Plate 2x2 because it's simple and easy to understand and use.
4. Type C# Plate 2x2 into the search bar.
5. There are 4 knobs with this particular tool, turn Dampening all the way down, with Bandwidth and Tail being turned to max.
6.(Optional) Tweak the Blend Setting a little bit, no harm in a little experimenting.

Enjoy your newly refined instruments! :D
To make instruments stand out in LMMS, you can adjust the volume or add effects like Amplifier and Reverb. Lowering the volume of an instrument can help reduce overshadowing. If the volume knob alone doesn't suffice, you can add an Amplifier effect by selecting the instrument, going to the FX tab, clicking "Add FX," and choosing Amplifier. Adjust the volume knob in the Amplifier until you achieve the desired loudness. Additionally, to create a sense of depth and space, use Reverb. Select the instrument, go to the FX tab, search for a reverb effect like C# Plate 2x2, and adjust the knobs, such as turning down Dampening while maximizing Bandwidth and Tail. Feel free to experiment with the Blend setting for further customization.
oh, I like it, even though I don't like to do such things
Use sounds, samples, effects, etc that other people aren't using. Idk if you use samples when you produce but, there's an insane amount of genres that have not been sampled by producers really. The first step is to listen to new music. Even if you don't sample it, expanding your tastes can give you new ideas.