deleted

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
deleted
SkyEyeMCCIX wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:35 am
So I've recently made my very first songs on LMMS.
Welcome to the forum SkyEyeMCCIX! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)

In case you like to introduce yourself to the rest of the community, this is the right place
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

constructive criticism (positive or negative) is welcomed!
I read your post as you are completely new to music?
Is that correct?
You need to learn about scales and key, because you are outside all harmonics
There are many tutorials on music-theory, but i will recommend my own :p
Start from the beginning and go through them one by one
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cH1Rs56V8c

There are also some technical things, like noise and clicks. I have a lot about getting to know lmms too
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vIJ8rD8Ohs

Perhaps my LMMS rookie-guide can interest you? Link in signature.
Potentially anxiogenic tracks!

Although you seem to be a beginner, these tracks are well structured (I think in particular of Illumination). There is a beginning, a middle and an end, as well as interesting transitions between the parts. Each instrument has characteristics that distinguish it from others. There are many melodicthythmic variations, I think it's positive.

Some tracks of this kind could be part of an album, but I could not listen to an album containing only this type of track.

I listened to Illumination to the end (the most interesting track to my ears), but I didn't listen to the other two completely (anxiogenic).

I would not advise you to continue in this unique direction.
And I would not advise you to reject it either.

If all goes well, time will do its work.
musikbear wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 am
SkyEyeMCCIX wrote:
So I've recently made my very first songs on LMMS.
Welcome to the forum SkyEyeMCCIX! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)

In case you like to introduce yourself to the rest of the community, this is the right place
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

constructive criticism (positive or negative) is welcomed!
I read your post as you are completely new to music?
Is that correct?
You need to learn about scales and key, because you are outside all harmonics
There are many tutorials on music-theory, but i will recommend my own :p
Start from the beginning and go through them one by one
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cH1Rs56V8c

There are also some technical things, like noise and clicks. I have a lot about getting to know lmms too
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vIJ8rD8Ohs

Perhaps my LMMS rookie-guide can interest you? Link in signature.
I am completely new to music, truly. All I know is what I've pieced together from songs; little tidbits such as the 'build' usually has noise with raising pitch, individual 'parts' tend to repeat two or four times (and even eight on lengthy ones), and they usually follow similar patterns until the last of the four repetitions.

Your guides really helped me wrap my mind around scales and such; terms I'd never heard of before.
Thanks for the guides!
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:32 pm
Potentially anxiogenic tracks!

Although you seem to be a beginner, these tracks are well structured (I think in particular of Illumination). There is a beginning, a middle and an end, as well as interesting transitions between the parts. Each instrument has characteristics that distinguish it from others. There are many melodicthythmic variations, I think it's positive.

Some tracks of this kind could be part of an album, but I could not listen to an album containing only this type of track.

I listened to Illumination to the end (the most interesting track to my ears), but I didn't listen to the other two completely (anxiogenic).

I would not advise you to continue in this unique direction.
And I would not advise you to reject it either.

If all goes well, time will do its work.
Thanks for the compliments. I think that the uniqueness of the sound might have roots from the fact that I lack much musical experience; I guess I just pressed notes until I got the one that sounded just right, not necessarily following an ingrained pattern or scheme within my mind, or reverse-engineering others' patterns and such. I appreciate your advice, and I'll try to continue work on these types of songs, along with other, more varied, genres.
Just one point of view, you can think in terms of contrasts (tone / atonality, high / low volume, long / short notes, long / short sentences, sound / silence, listeners' expectations or not, etc.) .
I actually want to give a different perspective on this! I will agree with D.Ipsum that your tracks bring up a sense of unease, and with musikbear that they're pretty discordant, but that has it's place! While it might not be the kind of thing that would work best as an album made specifically just to jam out to (though there are people who would enjoy that), this style could work great in soundtracks where the point is to make the listener uncomfortable.

For example, the opening to Intensity was reminiscent to me of certain tracks from the soundtrack to Portal 2:
http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

As that one continued, it started to feel more and more like some kind of chase or escape. Either the world was falling apart around me or something was after me. It'd work great in a game or film where the protagonist is having to rush to safety.

Other parts of the tracks made me think of the dissonant creepiness of OFF's soundtrack: http://www.rpg-maker.fr/index.php?page=ost&id=18

With the plane pictures in the backgrounds of all of your videos (I assume related to your username), and especially the way the one in the Illumination vid kept defocusing into pixels and then clearing back up, had me wondering what a horror flight simulator game would be like!

I don't know what your intention was with these songs, or what you'd eventually like to do with music. None of this may be helpful if it is your intention to produce albums for listening to on their own (although it might be interesting to research noise music, and also possibly vaporwave? I have limited experience with both of these, though). But if atmosphere is your intention and you want to continue in this direction, it may be fun as you develop your skills to do so with the intention to break the rules. There are reasons your stuff is uncomfortable, and most of it comes from going against the types of sounds that are considered pleasing to most peoples' ears.

Mostly, I wanted to say not to let learning theory and the like make you think that you ALWAYS have to adhere to some strict set of rules. Your stuff has a lot of potential in certain contexts.

I am curious as to what kind of music you like to listen to. If my experience is any indication, what we enjoy affects what we produce.
SkyEyeMCCIX wrote:
So I've recently made my very first songs on LMMS. I'd like to share them with the community, and any constructive criticism (positive or negative) is welcomed! It isn't much, but I'd started LMMS just a few months ago, and I know I've got much to improve.
These are structured incredibly well, but as many have pointed out, they lack all of the standard tonal rules that are typically in place.

Everyone else seems to be giving good advice, I just wanted to say that I find these pieces fascinating, and would appreciate it if you kept them up.

Other than that, you seem to have a good handle on use of the software, so I have no doubt that you'll only get better if you start learning about music theory.
Dudeguy21 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 am
These are structured incredibly well, but as many have pointed out, they lack all of the standard tonal rules that are typically in place.
That is what intrigues me.

It reminds me something like "It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child." (P. Picasso)
MorganEAshton wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:48 pm
I am curious as to what kind of music you like to listen to. If my experience is any indication, what we enjoy affects what we produce.
Thanks for your advice, I'll certainly keep that in mind and look forward to finding a purpose for this 'unique' style.

As for my personal taste in music, I'll explain.

I typically listen to electronic music, my favourite artist being deadmau5 and Alan Walker. Among their tracks, my favourite are deadmau5's 'Avaritia' and Alan Walker's 'Spectre'.

I dislike music which has a massive focus on singing, to which the actual 'music' becomes reduced to little but a few chords and the entire song emphasizes voice. I feel as if vocally expressing emotion in music is a desperate move to attempt to infuse an emotion into the viewer which the composer should've already expressed in the music itself.

This isn't to say that I dislike all forms of singing, though! In fact, one of my favourite songs, Alan Walker's 'Faded', has singing. I simply prefer music which is rich and detailed, and keeps singing secondary, over music which emphasizes vocalisation.