My First Completed Song! 'Nex'!

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I posted here before, about my very first 'songs' with LMMS; however, they were very unfinished, and to be honest, I was much of a noob. I literally did not know a word of Music Theory then, but thanks to some guidance from forum members (specifically musikbear, D. Ipsum, Dudeguy21, and MorganEAston), I learned quite a bit and managed to throw together a 'proper' song!

https://youtu.be/59XFV0JxyjY?list=PLJyH ... DMiwrx2Rrz - Nex
All of it was made pretty much using the default LMMS interface, no VSTs.
It's not the best (granted, it's not too good at all in comparison to most tracks LMMS users can produce), but I personally consider it a great milestone in my journey to understanding music.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Is it mend to be out of tune ?
Gps wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:43 pm
Is it mend to be out of tune ?
What specific about it is out of tune?
I don't know much about music, sorry.
He he, it is not particularly harmonious.
That said, it works.
The end effect, the silence before the last note, I very much like this kind of hesitation.
You get alot of points, for being able to make, lots of cool melodies. Yay! :D

However I have to agree with Gps. Alot of the sounds, do sound out of tune with each other.
But, then again, as D.Ipsum said, I agree that the out of tune melodies and sounds strangely
do seem, to suit this track well.
Also, I would say that the timbre of synths and pianos would benefit from being refined (especially the piano).
By analogy, one could consider the association of timbres as the art of associate the colors with each other.
Some associations enjoy, others less.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By7tV ... 0xpV2ZFTXc

The .mmp file is available for upload here if you would like to make a few edits and such.

I did make a few edits, namely removing the tritone from the main synths (with the exception of one specific part), and playing with the piano and bass drum timbre a bit.
I looked at the project.

Several things that can help:

- To rename instruments (e.g. "Synths" and "Tritone synths" can be grouped under "Tritone 1" and "Tritone 2", "snare_accoustic01.ogg" can be renamed "Snare"; etc.),

- Assign each instrument to a channel of the mixer (this makes it possible to appreciate the volume of each instrument in relation to the others, and to adjust them),

- Name the channels of the mixer according to the signal received (e.g. "Snare") or according to the function of the channel ("Limiter"),

- There are three samples combined that make a "big boom", these three samples hit beyond the red zone, you could compress them together,

- You could also name automation tracks (e.g. "name of the automated synth>name of the automated parameter"). So, if you rework this project in a few weeks, it will allow you to quickly find your marks.

- You can also decide, for example, to place the automation tracks of a synth just below this synth; and do this for everything. The idea is that you develop a method that you will apply systematically (when I open my old projects, I have not to search what do what).

- ?
D.Ipsum wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:46 am
- There are three samples combined that make a "big boom", these three samples hit beyond the red zone, you could compress them together,
Great tips, however this one in particular is a bit confusing to me.

First off, what exactly is the 'red zone'? I need a bit of an explanation, never heard this term before.

Also, how exactly would I 'compress them together'?
SkyEyeMCCIX wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:40 pm
First off, what exactly is the 'red zone'? I need a bit of an explanation, never heard this term before.
I hope I will not say too much nonsense ...

The master channel of the mixer (channel 0) represents the output of your digital audio signal (output to your speakers, knowing there is a long corridor between LMMS and your speakers ...).

When your signal passes through this channel, its amplitude is represented by a gauge whose level varies according to a color code that goes from green> yellow> orange> red. At most the amplitude or the volume increases, at the most you approach the red zone.

When the signal reaches the top of the red zone, the signal can no longer be quantified, it is clipped. It's like a ceiling that you can not cross, bumping your head on it, you hurt yourself. When your signal reaches this absolute limit, beyond a few fractions of seconds, you can listen to saturation in your music. In the worst case, this compromises the integrity of your hardware.

So, this ceiling, this absolute limit, this 0 dB FS must not be reached in channel 0 of the mixer.
For the other channels, you can do whatever you want.

By analogy, the Hard Limiter effect behaves like this ceiling, with the difference that with the Hard Limiter you can define the height of the ceiling that can not be crossed. For example, “dB limit” = -6 dB.

Do the test. Add a Hard Limiter to channel 0, and gradually decrease the value of the "dB limit" parameter. The signal will be clip more and more until it gets horrible to listen to. This is what you could listen to if you hit the red zone ceiling of master channel.

With the Hard Limter, you can play with the limit, it allows you to sculpt your sounds for example, among other things. But on the master channel, it does not have to happen, do not hit at the top of the red zone.

I stop there, hoping I did not say too much nonsense, and hoping it will enlighten you a bit.

SkyEyeMCCIX wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:40 pm
Also, how exactly would I 'compress them together'?
So, to process your three samples together, first you set the volume of each one. Then there are at least two ways to compress them together :

1) You can assign your three samples to the same channel of the mixer (sample 1 + 2 + 3 to chanel 1). And you add a compressor on this channel (or whatever else you want). Your three samples will be compressed together.

2) You can assign them to different channels (sample 1 to chanel 1, sample 2 to chanel 2, sample 3 to chanel 3). And you send the output of these 3 channels to a fourth. And you add a compressor on this channel 4. Your three samples will be compressed together.

Hoping it can helps :)