Note sliding and orchestral music

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Heya.

Been trying out LMMS for some time now along with multiple free soundfonts and VSTs.

As far as I know now, I can't slide notes on soundfonts or on the VSTis that I've tried. Trying to get any sort of orchestral music to sound halfway decent is pointless if I can't move from one note to another without interrupting the instrument.

Plus, most of the VSTis I try to use just break the project file. Even the orchestral ones that supposedly work with LMMS according to the VSTi list.

Is there any way around the VSTi problem?I know you can slide notes with Freeboy and Tripleoscillator, but can you do anything of the sort with orchestrals? Is there any point in trying to make orchestral music with LMMS at all?

Edit: I guess it's actually called portamento.
patsy02 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:11 pm
Heya.
Been trying out LMMS for some time now
Hi, Welcome to the forum patsy02 ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
As far as I know now, I can't slide notes on soundfonts
No that is wrong. You can use PITCH,
or on the VSTis that I've tried.
Again you can use PITCH

Trying to get any sort of orchestral music to sound halfway decent is pointless if I can't move from one note to another without interrupting the instrument.
..ok
Plus, most of the VSTis I try to use just break the project file. Even the orchestral ones that supposedly work with LMMS according to the VSTi list.
I would very much like to know witch exactly!
but can you do anything of the sort with orchestrals? Is there any point in trying to make orchestral music with LMMS at all?
Listen to the attachment project, that is classical orchestral music, but it would help, if you explain what YOU think of as "orchestral music"

Find a piece on youtube and link it here
add exact timestamps for where the wanted sound starts and less important -ends
Like @2:32 -> 2:55

Attachments

Isn't pitch shifting different from controlled portamento? Like, I'm thinking about the wheel you use on a midi keyboard.

I think I've tried it before but I couldn't control it accurately. I'll check again to see if I can figure it out.

Aslo, don't I need the soundfont files you've used to play your piece?
patsy02 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:50 pm
Isn't pitch shifting different from controlled portamento?
no, it just depends on the slope of the automation of PITCH. You will be able to create both 'wub-wub' and looong swiping changes in pitch.
¨
I think I've tried it before but I couldn't control it accurately. I'll check again to see if I can figure it out.
In respect to the calculation, i have even done it in chords! And i made a vid-tutorial on how to portamento-chords:
(Glisendo if i remember what Steve told me :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcyMSpHyL8I

Aslo, don't I need the soundfont files you've used to play your piece?
Yes, thats why i gave you the name: GeneralUserSoundfont. Its in our SF-link selection
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Us ... _resources
But for your orchestral sound, i think zasfx is the best instrument
Here i teach how to make the needed settings in zasfx in order to control Portamento
zynAddSubFX Master-Class: Managing Portamento advanced settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQRvEa1Xv88

[/quote]
Alright, I'll check it out. Mange takk!