No sound comes out

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
So I installed a VST plugin and i decided to test it out too see how it sounds. When I tried to hit a note on the piano roll no sound comes out. What weird is that the activity light is flashing like it normally would if sound was playing. What is going on here?!
When you say "installed" do you mean opened a track with Vestige and loaded a VSTi into it? What VSTi was it?

Do the internal instruments like TripleOscillator make sounds o.k.?

Steve
First off, welcome to the lmms forums TheAntagonisticKitty.

Okay, what VST plugin did you install? :geek:
TheAntagonisticKitty wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:37 am
So I installed a VST plugin
Then you need to open that VST from a LMMS-VST-container:
Read this:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Working_with_VSTs
But maby your VST is 'bad' in lmms. To investigate, i will ask you to try MDA-Piano http://mda.smartelectronix.com/synths.htm
It is very small in size, and you can just copy it to your folder. -Eg NO installation! Further its a quite good piano-instrument, so it is a win win

If you still have problems, please post your:
* OS (+service-pack-version)
* lmms version
* lmms sound device chosen
* names and best download links of the failing vst's

Besides that, since you are new here-
Welcome to the forum TheAntagonisticKitty ! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :) You also learn how to post pictures, and how to use quotes correctly.
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
brandystarbrite wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm
First off, welcome to the lmms forums TheAntagonisticKitty.

Okay, what VST plugin did you install? :geek:
The one I downloaded here: http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2179
slipstick wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:14 pm
When you say "installed" do you mean opened a track with Vestige and loaded a VSTi into it? What VSTi was it?

Do the internal instruments like TripleOscillator make sounds o.k.?

Steve
Yes I was using Vestige. Also I'm fairly new to this software so I dont know what "TripleOscillator" is.
When you first open LMMS there are tracks already set up in Song Editor. Triple Oscillator is already there on the top track.

I can get the kick in your VST to work (LMMS 1.20 rc5, Win7) but it's a multi-output VST and I don't think those are supported in LMMS (or if they are I don't know how to get the other instruments/tracks to work). It's fine in the other DAW I use.

But the real question is have you ever heard any sounds out of LMMS? If yes, what was it that was making those sounds?

Steve
TheAntagonisticKitty wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 am
Yes I was using Vestige.
Eg the plugin i showed you a picture of -right..
Also I'm fairly new to this software so I dont know what "TripleOscillator" is.
TripleOscillator is The std plugin in most DAWs. In LMMS we have the 3oc as a representative of this most common plugin
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=TripleOscillator
Making sure you can get an output from 3oc, is proofing that you have sound in LMMS, and thats why Steve ask you to confirm.

But i have looked at your VST, and i had a BSOD when i tried to 'dig' a little in it.
Firstly, it does not recognize as a dll.
slipstick wrote: I can get the kick in your VST to work (LMMS 1.20 rc5, Win7)
So That is strange :p
Secondly, the actual sound libraries are embedded in a media-file, that lmms has no options to work with, and did a BSOD for me, when i tried to 'force' the issue.
I think this particular VST is a no-go in lmms
Yes with that VST you need the dll and the Line of Legends.Instruments folder (containing the .mse file) to be in the same folder. Then it loads and the kicks work (on notes C2 to G2). But it doesn't help much because the other instruments need to be routed to different tracks and AFAIK LMMS can't handle that routing. So it's never going to really work.

Steve
slipstick wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 pm
Yes with that VST you need the dll and the Line of Legends.Instruments folder (containing the .mse file) to be in the same folder.
I did, but it does not load the dll part, ( and then i played 'clever' and got BSOD for that effort.. )
Bottom line: This VST will not work in lmms!