Using wav. and other non-VST samples

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Eh. Guys you're making this too complicated - Tres is right, envelopes are the answer.

The reason for the popping sound is simply a loud waveform being cut off short, which pretty much always causes a pop, and trying to adjust the endpoint to make it hit a zero-crossing is tedious as heck.

The solution is to not cut the sound instantly, but instead fade it out a bit. The fadeout can be very very short, it'll still work. To do this, simply enable the envelope, set sustain to full, then adjust the release to something suitable like 0.1 or 0.05, this causes the cutoff to be almost instant but it's still slow enough that it'll smooth out the popping.
I was having a problem with wav & flac samples, esp. ones that come with the pgm. (I'm not sure if this is what he's talking about but it's good info.) I'd try to play a sample (ogg worked fine) and just get a short click sound, or nothing at all.

FYI all: I found that with wav & flac samples, if you're having trouble with Audio File Processor - turn on Loop sample button, move the bass note mark (the little green square above the keys) all the way down to octave #1. Play the keys at the top of the keyboard ~ octave 5-8. Ref. these notes when writing with those samples. Bob's your uncle.
In this case you don't need to fiddle about with env. It can all be done on the first page.

HTH,
Brad