ZynAddSubFx issue

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I was testing out ZynAddSubFx and noticed that when I added certain instruments (for example Guitar --> Dist Guitar 1) it would crash. Some instruments seem to be ok, while others crash. I am using the newest version of lmms on Windows 7.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
newest version of lmms on Windows 7.
so 1.0.3 but x32 or x64?

Does this happend even in an empty (new) project, with an 'out-of-thre-box' preset?
I cant reproduce any error. (x32)
If you upload a .mmp project with the crash issue, i will see if i can figure out where its gone wrong.
kdm2k6 wrote:I was testing out ZynAddSubFx and noticed that when I added certain instruments (for example Guitar --> Dist Guitar 1) it would crash. Some instruments seem to be ok, while others crash. I am using the newest version of lmms on Windows 7.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks
Also, what are your system specifications? LMMS usually doesn't take much to run, but certain setups have issues.
Thanks for the quick replies.

I am using the 32 bit version on a Dell Latitude D810 - from a basic template.
I uploaded a sample project - the first item I added was a ZynAddSubFx track where I attempted to add a Guitar instrument which bombed. I then added a second item (preset) whose instrument is listed as "ggggggggggggg" which doesn't seem correct.

Attachments

From what Google pulled up for the D810, it looks like your PC may be too under-powered for more complex instruments like Zyn.

I loaded the provided project - I had zero issues opening it and thrashing around on my keyboard as both Zyn instances.

Open your task manager and go to the performance tab, and tell me how the CPU and RAM readouts look when LMMS is open. If you don't know how to access the task manager, right click the task bar and opening task manager will be in the right click menu.
Ahh - Didn't realize that might be the case. RAM is 750 MB out of 1 Gig. CPU fluctuates between 20% and 80-100% (typically more in the 20 - 40%).
I have 2 other desktops - one guy is really old and wouldn't start lmms. The other one is newer so I will try on him.

I never thought it was a computer issue as everything else seems to work ok- do you think certain instruments are more cpu intensive? Because some of the instruments have no problem loading.

I'll let you know when I try on my other computer tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again.
kdm2k6 wrote:do you think certain instruments are more cpu intensive?
100% true. The more complex anything on a computer is, the more it takes to run. Zyn is a very complex instrument with many voices and such. Compare that to the simple TripleOsc that takes almost nothing to run, and the performance difference is night and day.